I switched from BJJ to Pure Wrestling (freestyle)

2arctanx

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best decision i ever made. BJJ is fine. but its just too much grips and bitchfighting giving an advantage to guard players with fast hips. im out.

I don’t know why bitchfighting always gets a bad wrap. Most street fights are decided by who wins the initial bitchfight.

I am a BJJ brown belt and I started doing pure wrestling with my sons high school team a few months ago. I am having a blast and learning a lot. It is also helping my BJJ. I wish there were more opportunities for adults to wrestle.

Best decision i ever made. BJJ is fine. but its just too much grips and bitchfighting giving an advantage to guard players with fast hips. im out.

wrestling i think has more t do with grip fighting lol on the feat get real and u must be in some east euro or soviet country to be able to find a wrestling club very hard anywhere else to make the switch

Not trying to be a smart ass, but why not both?

I am a BJJ brown belt and I started doing pure wrestling with my sons high school team a few months ago. I am having a blast and learning a lot. It is also helping my BJJ. I wish there were more opportunities for adults to wrestle.
I'm currently at a BJJ school where we don't start from the feet, but my previous school was an MMA school where we started on the feet and would sometimes have an all-wrestling class in place of the no-gi class. I had the time of my life, and I was about 40 at the time. BJJ is great and I've been doing it for 10 years, but for me I don't know if it could ever provide the exhilaration that wrestling does. I wish I had trained judo at some point so I could compare it to my wrestling training.

I think getting a good bit of bjj under ur belt and switching to wrestling isn't a bad strategy at all. Get some submission ability first.

I regret so much not having wrestle when I was livng in the state, even more neglecting the stand up game when I was starting my bjj journey... now my knees are shot, im too old to wrestle for shit.

with a lack of submission the only advantage I see wrestling have is the standing grappling and take downs. Wrestle are not comfortable on their backs and would turn turtle .

with a lack of submission the only advantage I see wrestling have is the standing grappling and take downs. Wrestle are not comfortable on their backs and would turn turtle .

Wrestlers train extensively how to keep from being put or kept on their back-- that's what their entire sport is built around.

you're not suppose to fight on your back being in missionary position with a man between your legs.

Can understand 100%, I take a wrestling class once a week (more greco focused) and love it, it's awesome. After training jiu-jitsu for so long alot of the techniques you see are variations what what you already know, it's great to learn brand new stuff you've never seen before. I'd train alot more wrestling if I could, but it's the combination that is the best.

you're not suppose to fight on your back being in missionary position with a man between your legs.

So you better turtle to give them a nice entry...

What's wrong with having a good guard, learn to pass them and you will see that BJJ can be a lot of fun.

That adoration of takedowns over sweeps is getting old. Wrestling is fun, Judo is fun and BJJ is fun, because grappling is fun.

For strikers we are all pussies that love to hug each other. For MMA guys we are all pussies because we don't enter the cage.

You are not supposed to fight off your back in a street fight... the guard is in case you get taken down, thus “the guard”...

So you better turtle to give them a nice entry...

What's wrong with having a good guard, learn to pass them and you will see that BJJ can be a lot of fun.

That adoration of takedowns over sweeps is getting old. Wrestling is fun, Judo is fun and BJJ is fun, because grappling is fun.

For strikers we are all pussies that love to hug each other. For MMA guys we are all pussies because we don't enter the cage.

the problem with the guard is that in a real fight you would get your face smashed in. and how BJJ is designed now is that everyone pulls guard because there is no penalty for doing so, that needs to change.

the problem with the guard is that in a real fight you would get your face smashed in.

Sure, by turtling up you won’t? Giving your back in.a fight is horrible mistake...

Sure, by turtling up you won’t? Giving your back in.a fight is horrible mistake...
you dont just turtle. you turtle and you grab a leg, preventing the other guy from forming a base. u would know that if you spent a day.

you dont just turtle. you turtle and you grab a leg, preventing the other guy from forming a base. u would know that if you spent a day.

That’s if you are grappling already 1 v1... if you get your face smashed in guard in a 1 v 1 fight, you plain and simple suck, you would know that if you wouldn’t have sucked at Bjj, but it seems you did...

the problem with the guard is that in a real fight you would get your face smashed in. and how BJJ is designed now is that everyone pulls guard because there is no penalty for doing so, that needs to change.

You talk about the points, but I often pull guard in BJJ training with no one scoring points and my main goal is to finish or to get back on top. Pulling guard is not a point strategy, it's just sometimes the best thing to do, if I have good grips and I pull guard the way I want, I'm in a better position to sweep or to finish than if I just shoot for a single leg and I end up in someones guard.

I'll give you that wrestling as the mean to get the top position, but there's no intention of finishing. It's as far from a ''real fight'' as you could get

BJJ, Judo, Wrestling, Sambo it's all far from a real fight, even Boxing, kickboxing and Muay Thai are. The only thing close to it is MMA and they train everything because everything as something to offer.

That’s if you are grappling already 1 v1... if you get your face smashed in guard in a 1 v 1 fight, you plain and simple suck, you would know that if you wouldn’t have sucked at Bjj, but it seems you did...

1v1? no idea what ur babbling about

Back