"I sparred with Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, David Tua and others"

There must but some cool stories about Duran also, never read any '' behind the scenes '' stories about him
plenty of them, plenty books have great stories of duran, a lot of the menace was strictly for american audiences, he's a giving wonderful guy in his own country who even there has been a pariah at times, can you believe they locked him in jail after the hearns fight? what kinda banana republic would do that?

I remember reading in Four Kings the whole of Panama basically turned their back on him after the No Mas fight. He was a national hero for beating SRL then like 6 months later he was hated.

I noticed a common theme here rereading that thread, which is the biggest punchers with that pure unadulterated power like Foreman and Tua, Bonecrusher Smith too, I believe, the guys talk about how their punches physically moved them.

But what really stands out is when these guys talk about going fucking numb when these dudes would hit them. I am far from a well trained boxer but I've been punched in the face a lot, never went close to numb. That's nuts.

And it's not just one guy saying he'd go numb, it's multiple ppl describing that same feeling, getting moved by good shots and going numb. So crazy to me, I guess it's better than it hurting but fuck that's gotta be a scary feeling.

I noticed a common theme here rereading that thread, which is the biggest punchers with that pure unadulterated power like Foreman and Tua, Bonecrusher Smith too, I believe, the guys talk about how their punches physically moved them.

But what really stands out is when these guys talk about going fucking numb when these dudes would hit them. I am far from a well trained boxer but I've been punched in the face a lot, never went close to numb. That's nuts.

And it's not just one guy saying he'd go numb, it's multiple ppl describing that same feeling, getting moved by good shots and going numb. So crazy to me, I guess it's better than it hurting but fuck that's gotta be a scary feeling.

I remember getting left hook countered a real treat by some 17 year old (who was looking to turn pro) as I led with a jab. Unfortunately for me my right hand was little too far back to catch the hook so it landed on the side of nose and luckily broke it straight (it was a bit crooked over to one side before that). Half my face went numb and I had to dab at my nose with my glove just to check it was still attached to my face. And this kid was just a skinny welterweight but that was one of the hardest times I'd ever been hit. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be hit by someone like George Foreman!

I remember getting left hook countered a real treat by some 17 year old (who was looking to turn pro) as I led with a jab. Unfortunately for me my right hand was little too far back to catch the hook so it landed on the side of nose and luckily broke it straight (it was a bit crooked over to one side before that). Half my face went numb and I had to dab at my nose with my glove just to check it was still attached to my face. And this kid was just a skinny welterweight but that was one of the hardest times I'd ever been hit. I couldn't imagine what it would be like to be hit by someone like George Foreman!

Wow that's nasty, man, that's about as bad of a non ko shot as you can take. Also a good story, tho, lol. You can always say a 17 y/o gave you your first nose job. The first few times I got hit in the nose flush, I couldn't stand it. I got used to it over time but it is a terrible feeling.

I've said this a million times on here, wonder if you guys agree with this or not, but I always tell ppl who haven't boxed or fought before that the nose is like the funny bone of your face. It's a weird feeling to get your nose busted, it hurts but it also has that weird tingling feeling like when you smash your elbow really hard against something. Always found it hard to describe other than it feels a lot like smashing your funny bone. Maybe that's just me tho. Not to mention it's easy to make bleed and fucks with your breathing, I hated that shit. My nose bleeds much easier now even tho I haven't sparred in years.

I can't believe some of these guys and the amount of money they took to spar those monsters. One of the guys who sparred tyson said he'd get like 500-700 bucks a week to spar and this was back in the 80's so not bad, I guess. But also not worth the beatings if you ask me. The guy said that right after he stopped sparring with Tyson for whatever reason, right afterward they started paying guys a couple g's a week b/c I think it was the only way they could get them in the ring with Mike, lol. Poor bastard took a ton of beatings then left right before they started paying somewhat decent wages to the guys. Man that's gotta suck.

when you get nailed with a good shot it does cause a sort of numbness in the whole body, at least it did for me, you got to figure, you're shocking your whole system, for me it's more like an electric jolt i guess than numbness. truth is though, headshots don't hurt nowhere near the worst bodyshots, in fact they generally aren't that painful at all.

That was out of character for him but he told me later that Lennox made him really mad because he called him a hypocrit for being a christian but having so many children out of wedlock. That is one of Evander's buttons right there.

:D

when you get nailed with a good shot it does cause a sort of numbness in the whole body, at least it did for me, you got to figure, you're shocking your whole system, for me it's more like an electric jolt i guess than numbness. truth is though, headshots don't hurt nowhere near the worst bodyshots, in fact they generally aren't that painful at all.

Yeah I wouldn't call headshots painful - matter a fact, to me it seems the harder the shot, the less it hurts lol. A good stinging jab could be described as "painful" to a certain degree, but a good right hand or left hook is generally not painful at all.

Bodyshots, those hurt. Those are PAINFUL. A good liver shot that freezes your body up is one of the worst feelings in boxing. Seeing these wars on TV, it blows my mind how these guys bodies still operate after being dug for 12 rounds.

Boxed this real heavy handed mf one time, very strong kid had many knockouts in the gym (true, asleep for 10-20 seconds before moving knockouts), and a ton of knockouts in amateur fights. His punches felt like being poked in the face with a sledge hammer, not painful at all just numbing. trying to catch his jab actually gave a similar feeling as his own glove hitting me - it would push my parry hand back into my mouth and cause the same numbing effect. Crazy power.

Great thread guys, I love it!!!

For me going numb was sort of an out of body thing. I could see everything like I was standing behind my body watching and not feeling anything. Got caught with a counter I didn't see, trying to be cute. The next punch I took woke me up and I was back in the mix. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me.

Yeah I wouldn't call headshots painful - matter a fact, to me it seems the harder the shot, the less it hurts lol. A good stinging jab could be described as "painful" to a certain degree, but a good right hand or left hook is generally not painful at all.

Bodyshots, those hurt. Those are PAINFUL. A good liver shot that freezes your body up is one of the worst feelings in boxing. Seeing these wars on TV, it blows my mind how these guys bodies still operate after being dug for 12 rounds.

Boxed this real heavy handed mf one time, very strong kid had many knockouts in the gym (true, asleep for 10-20 seconds before moving knockouts), and a ton of knockouts in amateur fights. His punches felt like being poked in the face with a sledge hammer, not painful at all just numbing. trying to catch his jab actually gave a similar feeling as his own glove hitting me - it would push my parry hand back into my mouth and cause the same numbing effect. Crazy power.
ya, parries and blocks don't work for every opponent, sometimes you're better having some good slipping, bobbing and weaving in your repertoire. I've seen a lot of short guys think they could parry a tall guys jab and get close like they could with another short guy, that's going to be hard. sometimes the size/power differential is just too great, joe frazier was getting hit with everything, blocks and parries be damned against foreman, he was just too small to pick off the shots from foreman like he did to his other opponents, or to take the glancing ones like he usually did, just too small, looked a full division smaller really.

Great thread guys, I love it!!!

For me going numb was sort of an out of body thing. I could see everything like I was standing behind my body watching and not feeling anything. Got caught with a counter I didn't see, trying to be cute. The next punch I took woke me up and I was back in the mix. Weirdest thing that ever happened to me.
getting knocked down is about the most relaxed feeling in the world, sometimes i couldn't tell if i was letting it happen or if it would happen no matter how hard i tried to stay up, you know, if you ever fainted, there is a sensation that you are completely letting go, it was somewhat like that. Never been knocked out but i'm sure i would have been at some point had i done enough.

getting knocked down is about the most relaxed feeling in the world, sometimes i couldn't tell if i was letting it happen or if it would happen no matter how hard i tried to stay up, you know, if you ever fainted, there is a sensation that you are completely letting go, it was somewhat like that. Never been knocked out but i'm sure i would have been at some point had i done enough.
Yeah never been knocked out, but going numb and leaving my body for a sec while I was still standing got my attention.

@YoungCashMoney

How is your golden gloves preparation going? (sorry @ ts off topic I know ;))

Golden gloves was this past week, 2 of my sparring mates won 141 and 152 in LA.

I couldn't go because I got a crazy bug about 2 and a half weeks ago, keeping me out of the gym & sparring for the last 2 weeks. Just got back into the gym this week, but already missed the golden gloves sadly. Oh well, there's many competitions this year so I ain't tripping.

My weight was another huge cause of concern - since my last training/sparring videos where I was 135-140lbs, my weight shot up to 160, so I went on a pretty brutal cut/diet to get my weight down to its current 154 now. I got swole team 6'd very fast out of nowhere. I hold out hope that I can still compete at 132 at some point, but that may be a pipe dream. Even 141 will be difficult to make. Dammit testosterone... supposed to be helping me with normal levels !! Lol

Very true, you guys know better than I do but all it takes is a few good body shots to know they are a fucker. I did not like getting my nose lit up or if I took a shot directly in the eye socket, that felt like shit too, but yeah I did kind of get used to getting punched in the face after awhile. Unless it was a special shot it more pissed me off than actual physical pain. The uppercut I took right up under the chin hurt more than anything I've been hit with to the head, tho. I thought he broke my jaw for a minute but it ended up being nothing serious. It felt terrible tho.

Body shots, those are a bit harder to get used to, once I got punched in the liver area so hard it felt like somebody kicked my balls into my stomach. My brother has described a good liver shot that way, I agree. Getting punched in the perfect spot up under the sternum to take your wind away, you gotta pay me to even try to get up after 10secs for that shit too. Then again having brothers got me used to getting the wind knocked out of me all the time. The liver shot, not so much.

They actually get into this a lot more in the thread. There was some back and forth there but I decided not to post all of it b/c I felt like it got a bit messy. Basically this guy, the star of the thread so to speak, Evolution, was good friends with Evander and they argued with each other a bit, basically about if Evander was a "real Christian" or not, considering all of his baby momma's out of wedlock.

@YoungCashMoney

How is your golden gloves preparation going? (sorry @ ts off topic I know ;))
I don't care I'm actually interested in that, too. The main stories are over anyway this is just about anything story based about boxing. This falls under that category anyway, imo.

Get better @YoungCashMoney. Also feel free to post a good sparring or ammies story if/when you feel like it or about Big Floyd and any cool shit he's said in the past. Anyone at the gym for that matter. I know you probably got some good stories from the gym just a matter if you're allowed to tell them or not, haha.

@ProBoxingInsidr I know you have some great stories too.

Last edited:
Yeah I second that. I got caught by a big overhand right in a fight and my world went black for a second. The next thing I knew my body was falling and I was horizontal looking up at the lights. It didn't hurt at all. Only a momentary KO and I was ok but when I tried to get straight back up I was still a bit wobbly (mostly due to fatigue) and the ref called it off. I was pretty annoyed at that as I was fine and 100% ready to go. Plus it was in the last 30 seconds of the last round of a fight that I was comfortably winning. What I should have done was take a knee and take the full 8 seconds to settle myself. SMH

Golden gloves was this past week, 2 of my sparring mates won 141 and 152 in LA.

I couldn't go because I got a crazy bug about 2 and a half weeks ago, keeping me out of the gym & sparring for the last 2 weeks. Just got back into the gym this week, but already missed the golden gloves sadly. Oh well, there's many competitions this year so I ain't tripping.

My weight was another huge cause of concern - since my last training/sparring videos where I was 135-140lbs, my weight shot up to 160, so I went on a pretty brutal cut/diet to get my weight down to its current 154 now. I got swole team 6'd very fast out of nowhere. I hold out hope that I can still compete at 132 at some point, but that may be a pipe dream. Even 141 will be difficult to make. Dammit testosterone... supposed to be helping me with normal levels !! Lol

Couldnt it be that you just have grown in size. Its normal to get up in weight.
You were very young in these old clips. Cant be a longterm solution if you have to kill yourself to make weight.

Yeah I second that. I got caught by a big overhand right in a fight and my world went black for a second. The next thing I knew my body was falling and I was horizontal looking up at the lights. It didn't hurt at all. Only a momentary KO and I was ok but when I tried to get straight back up I was still a bit wobbly (mostly due to fatigue) and the ref called it off. I was pretty annoyed at that as I was fine and 100% ready to go. Plus it was in the last 30 seconds of the last round of a fight that I was comfortably winning. What I should have done was take a knee and take the full 8 seconds to settle myself. SMH
Yeah, problem is, you're so bothered by getting knocked down you forget to be rational and take a knee for the 8 count. Boxing is a trip!

Yeah never been knocked out, but going numb and leaving my body for a sec while I was still standing got my attention.
you actually left your body as in your spirit was knocked out of it? that's deep, i ain't never heard of no shit like that. tyson used to say he would leave his body when he fought and watch from outside like an observer though.

Back