"I sparred with Evander Holyfield, George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, David Tua and others"

cody_mckenzie_shit_just_got_real.gif
Thank you for intimidating Moz, Seano.

I appreciate you motherfuckers for appreciating this thread.

Seems pretty well spoken for a career sparring partner. I hate to say it, but I'm pretty skeptical.
i would propose this guy is white, that's how he sounded to me.

well, you got the fat part right

"I would propose"??

You sound like a fat, southern attorney.

Lool.

Paul you've been the Master of Ceremonies for many years now. You got any good stories you've heard about/read about guys sparring or just stories about fighters in general you have off the top of the head?

Lool.

Paul you've been the Master of Ceremonies for many years now. You got any good stories you've heard about/read about guys sparring or just stories about fighters in general you have off the top of the head?

I was at a boxing match in Green Bay, WI years back where Duran was supposed to be there for autographs.... but he never showed up.
But there was a big fat boxer whose nickname was "The Burger King".

That's all I got.

I was at a boxing match in Green Bay, WI years back where Duran was supposed to be there for autographs.... but he never showed up.

That's all I got.

I love it. I'll say this b/c it's happy hr and I'm on a day off so I've had a few. But one of the best posters on the site, my friend. Seriously.

they say tyson was so good at 15-16 that they would bring in seasoned pros to work with him, bruno sparred with him, I can't remember who else but someone probably can. He'd outwork them. I have seen footage of him sparring with pros and he was on their asses, and he was knocking guys out. some boxing people would say that's no good, that sparring is not for that, i think in light of what we are learning about the brain that's true. In my first gym, my first trainer, Joe West, met a guy named Pinklon Thomas sometime around 78-79. Pink claimed to have had a bunch of fights under his belt, Joe had to know he was full of shit and he put him in the ring where he got his ass beat and Pinklon could hear Joe's cackle the whole time. I knew joe and that definitely sounded like him. Pink was hooked on heroin at the time, he kicked it when he got serious about boxing, joe used to point out the back door to the spot where Pinklon would vomit when he was trying to kick it. Getting back to tyson, he never took it easy early on and routinely ran sparring partners out of the gym, as a young pro and as champ he hired the best he could get, sometimes he'd make them quit, knock them out, I still have one article where one guy either quit or didn't want to spar that day and Tyson said "n-r got no heart" and tillis was quoted as saying he was "getting stronger everyday" this was after their close fight when he said Mike had improved exponentially. Mike also briefly made a minor star out of a guy named Mike Williams who boxed his ears off in sparring, so well that mike was giving him name checks in interviews, williams never made it that far for whatever reason. They say Oliver McCall would really war with Mike which, may me possible. Of course there is the apocryphal tale of how greg page dropped mike before the douglas fight and asked him "what the fuck are you doing?". George foreman was probably more brutal to his sparring partners in the 70's, there is the story of a renegade foreman sparring partner, I think his name was Bossman Jones, who left foreman and ratted him out before ali fought him. He still chose foreman to beat ali, and the stories he told of sparring with george were terrifying, and when asked "you must hit him sometime" and Jones told him that none of his partners hit him because they didn't want to make him madder, ali played on all of that. also, foreman had a punch he called an "anywhere" punch where he threw it without a target and didn't care where it landed but he knew it would do damage.

Holyfield, funny thing is, his early pro trainers say he didn't have the wind for shit, ironic huh? they said he couldn't go but a few rounds and he started looking over at Benton with puppy dog eyes, and oddly, Lou Duva would call him lazy, which i still don't get. but evander was never a big puncher, just super competitive and had to work hard for everything he got in addition to being a super athlete and one of the best schooled heavies of his time.
is that enough for now kiddies?

I love it. I'll say this b/c it's happy hr and I'm on a day off so I've had a few. But one of the best posters on the site, my friend. Seriously.
i'm not working but i got stresses, i got an immigrant buddy who they are trying to kick out, trying to help him. Peoples stress has a way of rubbing off on ya.

That's all I got.
i've mentioned this before but i knew a sparring partner, al foster, of durans, he was a sweet guy, he had a lot of problems from boxing but you could tell his brain was still working. they put him in a rest home and no one would tell me which one. at any rate, when i asked him "Was Duran mean?" he shook his head and said "no, he was nice". you never know what's going on past the image these guys have.

i'm not working but i got stresses, i got an immigrant buddy who they are trying to kick out, trying to help him. Peoples stress has a way of rubbing off on ya.
well if it means anything to you I think you're one of the better posters here, too. I don't know if that helps much but you have some of the best stories I've read on here and a ton of knowledge only few guys possess. You've put in you 10k hrs and more on this boxing shit. I respect that for whatever that counts.

well if it means anything to you I think you're one of the better posters here, too. I don't know if that helps much but you have some of the best stories I've read on here and a ton of knowledge only few guys possess. You've put in you 10k hrs and more on this boxing shit. I respect that for whatever that counts.
thanks, i love boxing, never made a penny off of it and spent a lot of time.

they say tyson was so good at 15-16 that they would bring in seasoned pros to work with him, bruno sparred with him, I can't remember who else but someone probably can. He'd outwork them. I have seen footage of him sparring with pros and he was on their asses, and he was knocking guys out. some boxing people would say that's no good, that sparring is not for that, i think in light of what we are learning about the brain that's true. In my first gym, my first trainer, Joe West, met a guy named Pinklon Thomas sometime around 78-79. Pink claimed to have had a bunch of fights under his belt, Joe had to know he was full of shit and he put him in the ring where he got his ass beat and Pinklon could hear Joe's cackle the whole time. I knew joe and that definitely sounded like him. Pink was hooked on heroin at the time, he kicked it when he got serious about boxing, joe used to point out the back door to the spot where Pinklon would vomit when he was trying to kick it. Getting back to tyson, he never took it easy early on and routinely ran sparring partners out of the gym, as a young pro and as champ he hired the best he could get, sometimes he'd make them quit, knock them out, I still have one article where one guy either quit or didn't want to spar that day and Tyson said "n-r got no heart" and tillis was quoted as saying he was "getting stronger everyday" this was after their close fight when he said Mike had improved exponentially. Mike also briefly made a minor star out of a guy named Mike Williams who boxed his ears off in sparring, so well that mike was giving him name checks in interviews, williams never made it that far for whatever reason. They say Oliver McCall would really war with Mike which, may me possible. Of course there is the apocryphal tale of how greg page dropped mike before the douglas fight and asked him "what the fuck are you doing?". George foreman was probably more brutal to his sparring partners in the 70's, there is the story of a renegade foreman sparring partner, I think his name was Bossman Jones, who left foreman and ratted him out before ali fought him. He still chose foreman to beat ali, and the stories he told of sparring with george were terrifying, and when asked "you must hit him sometime" and Jones told him that none of his partners hit him because they didn't want to make him madder, ali played on all of that. also, foreman had a punch he called an "anywhere" punch where he threw it without a target and didn't care where it landed but he knew it would do damage.

Holyfield, funny thing is, his early pro trainers say he didn't have the wind for shit, ironic huh? they said he couldn't go but a few rounds and he started looking over at Benton with puppy dog eyes, and oddly, Lou Duva would call him lazy, which i still don't get. but evander was never a big puncher, just super competitive and had to work hard for everything he got in addition to being a super athlete and one of the best schooled heavies of his time.
is that enough for now kiddies?

This what I'm fucking talking about Moz! Dude has the best stories on this fucking forum.

Shit like this takes some other guy's already great thread and makes it even better. I could read this type of stuff all day. Thanks bud.

Speaking of great posters @Sharkey when you have time I'd love for you to get in on this, too. I know you have stories for days. Consortium probably stole them already but you can tell them again when you feel like it, if you don't mind.

you ever notice old fucks ramble though?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back