"I silently suffer from an invisible illness and you need to care more!"

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
....or, not so silently.

Within the past couple of years I've witnessed a few of my lady friends who have come down with "terrible illness that people need to be more aware of."

The two most prominent disorders being Chiari and Ehler Danlos Syndrome.
There are so many symptoms associated with both that it almost looks like you're reading a list of "Symptoms that come with living life."

Now those are just two of the diseases (there are others who complain about different ones). But it's usually the same issue: chronic pain.

I'm not saying they're completely making it all up. Almost all of these women (I'm sure there are men too... but I just haven't seen that) run the same narrative: I'm silently suffering from a relatively unknown disease, I'm told it could be psychosomatic and that's the worst thing to say to someone like me, doctors (for the most part) are too dumb to properly diagnose my illness, and people in my life don't care enough... I must raise awareness.

If there's one trait that I kind of glean from most of these people (the ones I know... and those I don't but whose comments I can read) is that they're very emotional and expressive. And they handle stress pretty poorly.

Their posts on the topic are so dramatic.

It's like when you read some classic novel set in the late 19th century where the women are swooning because of pain (real or imaginary).

Now this isn't to come down on all women. I know many tough ol' German, Polish, and Irish birds in nursing homes who are bent over with crippling joint pain, missing fingers-toes-and limbs, abandoned by their families who still smile and ask "how are you doing today?" and you can tell they actually fucking care. Those women (and men) are amazing. It's humbling to think of the shit they've been through, the pain they carry, and how gracious they still are to be breathing.

While the ones I'm talking about actually get pissed that you don't care enough for their burden and how lucky you are you'll never experience pain like they do.

Where do you meet these people?

Your threads are a not-so-silent suffering.

They're women. They will always look for something to complain about. Just tell them to shut their face and take off their tops.

I have had what you describe for the last 10 years but doctors cant figure out what causes it. I have a lot more symptoms then just pain, though chronic pain is one of the main symptoms. After 6 doctor visits, countless tests and 2 neurologists I just gave up.

Other symptoms include

Travelling pain
Nerve pain
Blurry vision
Floaters
Tremors
Weakness
Heart Palpitations
My left leg sometimes gives out randomly
Muscle tightening
Red lights have a blue glow around them
Symtoms may disappear or come at any time (may disappear for years then return)
Etc etc etc

After researching forever my conclusion was either lyme disease or a parasite. I knew more about my possible condition than any doctor i talked to. Lost faith in doctors.

Now I just live with it everyday and rarely talk about it. Nobody in real life knows I deal with this because I just stopped mentioning it

People like to complain. What can you do? It sucks for the people who have real problems

People like to complain. What can you do? It sucks for the people who have real problems

I bet the complaining and constant focus on the 'issue' is what exacerbates the problem.
It's like with anxiety: Anxiety has a way to latch on to the thing that bothers the person the most.
A person may experience both health anxiety and social anxiety.... but say they really aren't as 'deeply impressed' by the social aspect. Well that manifestation of anxiety is the first to diminish.

I think I have fibromyalgia and as a man it's hard to accept. Sometimes it's worse than other times but I have finally come to believe that it's real because I never mention it to people and certainly don't think anyone needs to be more sensitive. You're right to be suspicious of anyone trying to preach about that kind of thing.

I have had what you describe for the last 10 years but doctors cant figure out what causes it. I have a lot more symptoms then just pain, though chronic pain is one of the main symptoms. After 6 doctor visits, countless tests and 2 neurologists I just gave up.

Other symptoms include

Travelling pain
Nerve pain
Blurry vision
Floaters
Tremors
Weakness
Heart Palpitations
My left leg sometimes gives out randomly
Muscle tightening
Red lights have a blue glow around them
Symtoms may disappear or come at any time (may disappear for years then return)
Etc etc etc

After researching forever my conclusion was either lyme disease or a parasite. I knew more about my possible condition than any doctor i talked to. Lost faith in doctors.

Now I just live with it everyday and rarely talk about it. Nobody in real life knows I deal with this because I just stopped mentioning it
Well @MC Paul Barman, we just found one of those whining women ^ you talked about in your OP.

"I know more about my unnamed, POSSIBLE condition than any doctor so I lost faith in them."

{<jordan}

Can't make this stuff up

Does it count as silently suffering, if they're complaining about it?

Well @MC Paul Barman, we just found one of those whining women ^ you talked about in your OP.

"I know more about my unnamed, POSSIBLE condition than any doctor so I lost faith in them."

{<jordan}

Can't make this stuff up

You're easily amused.
Mind you, I did mention that I'm sure a guy could have it. But laugh away, you brain dead homosex loving idiot.

Back