I only have hard mode

mdcholakian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I'm having trouble with my kickboxing training partners because I only have a hard mode when sparring or anything at training.
My instructor says I spar like blinded and go in a brutal way every drill or sparring game we have in our classes. And of course i'm starting to have some problem with my training partners.

I have many thoughts in the why column:

1- I confuse intensity and focus with doing everything as hard as i can.
2- I feel that i'm getting more punched than it's really happening and counter attack with my everything.
3- I have better cardio and strenght than technique, I have an awful technique indeed and replace it with cardio and strenght in which i'm better than the average.

The thing is how I can solve this problem. My instructor said I should fight more relaxed, i feel slow when i do that. Also really punched and kicked, that's because I think i drop my hands when i'm relaxed.

It's becoming very difficult to find a way out. But i must do it, because i think this stuff is keeping me far of being better fighter.

Thanks in advance!!

It is keeping you from being a better fight and it's also going to get you knocked the fuck out real fast.

There is a time and place for that, if you cannot CONTROL your TECHNIQUES than you should not be sparring. You are dangerous.

Learn to control your techniques for one, learn to pull your punches (set up a string on the ceiling and punch and kick it but make sure It DOES NOT MOVE) and stop being so insecure there is no reason for you feel like it's a death match within the ring.

practice on a bag or something. speed with no power. learn to just tap the bag with perfect technique. do it slowly at first then speed it up without making the bag cry.

Hi everybody,

I'm having trouble with my kickboxing training partners because I only have a hard mode when sparring or anything at training.
My instructor says I spar like blinded and go in a brutal way every drill or sparring game we have in our classes. And of course i'm starting to have some problem with my training partners.

I have many thoughts in the why column:

1- I confuse intensity and focus with doing everything as hard as i can.
2- I feel that i'm getting more punched than it's really happening and counter attack with my everything.
3- I have better cardio and strenght than technique, I have an awful technique indeed and replace it with cardio and strenght in which i'm better than the average.

The thing is how I can solve this problem. My instructor said I should fight more relaxed, i feel slow when i do that. Also really punched and kicked, that's because I think i drop my hands when i'm relaxed.

It's becoming very difficult to find a way out. But i must do it, because i think this stuff is keeping me far of being better fighter.

Thanks in advance!!
You need to do more flow sparring. Its basically shadow box sparring. Right now you're most likely getting countered because you're very stiff. Its quite predictable when you're stifff, and only have a kill mode.

I'm guessing you don't throw bs strikes in your combinations, all strikes in your combinations are probably all aimed to do damage.

Learn to throw bs and have 1 or 2 main heavy strikes. eg. 1,2,1,kick - the kick being the kill strike

If you don't throw bs, you move and whatnaught in sparring, then you probably stop dead in you tracks for a fraction of a second before firing, that already is a major telegraph. Even if they don't counter you, they know something is coming and can shell up for it.

Also, throwing light doesn't mean to throw slow. You can (and should) throw with less power, but just as fast. Its a common newbie mistake to assume power = speed, and less power = less speed. Get out of that habit.

I will also say this may be due to your gym style, if you gym is filled with people who treat spars like fights, you all aren't going to improve. You all are going to try to kill and win. Because of this, you guys aren't going to work on stuff you need to be working on. The plus to this is I guess you guys are quite athletic dealing with this type of sparring intensity.

tldr;
-you've been sparring this way since the beginning, I give part of the blame to your coach and gym culture for this (the latter happens if the coach doesn't address it, and it develops that way).
-learn to flow spar with your training partners. Find some one, make it a routine to do the beginning of every session
-don't make all strikes your kill strike, accept you will need bullshit to mask and hide your money shot(s)
-throw fast, but light. Don't mistake decreasing power as decreasing speed

cheers

This happens with me too occasionally due to being new. When I get punched in the head I have increased intensity and power without thinking. The problem is you have to control yourself because you are sparring and not in a fight. I'm suprised people aren't beating the crap out of you for doing this? The instructor is supposed to step in and rough you up a bit if you are out of line during sparring. Go hard on the pads if you want (without compromising technique) . Until you learn control, just kick and punch people in the body. Just love taps to the head and keep it to 1 or 2 punches to the head, no combinations to the head. Most guys won't complain even if you are being a dick, but they'll remember who you are and not in a good way. That's just my 2 cents on how to best approach this.

I think it's my fault, but there're so many good guys that anybody complaint up today.

Saturday's we have hard sparring for all the competitors, any other day we have recreational mixed with us. So I need to be more intelligent.

The words my coach always tell me are stiff and flow. "You're stiff, need to flow".

I should throw more bs punches setting a good kick. You're right.

A flow shadow sparring without gloves, shin guards and headgear would be good to learn how to be less stiffed?

I feel easier to lose my stiffen when I do pure boxing. What do you think?

This happens with me too occasionally due to being new. When I get punched in the head I have increased intensity and power without thinking. The problem is you have to control yourself because you are sparring and not in a fight. I'm suprised people aren't beating the crap out of you for doing this? The instructor is supposed to step in and rough you up a bit if you are out of line during sparring. Go hard on the pads if you want (without compromising technique) . Until you learn control, just kick and punch people in the body. Just love taps to the head and keep it to 1 or 2 punches to the head, no combinations to the head. Most guys won't complain even if you are being a dick, but they'll remember who you are and not in a good way. That's just my 2 cents on how to best approach this.

People is starting to complain, so I need to do something because it's not on purpose. But they are all cool guys, so the don't tell me almost nothing.

I think it's my fault, but there're so many good guys that anybody complaint up today.

Saturday's we have hard sparring for all the competitors, any other day we have recreational mixed with us. So I need to be more intelligent.

The words my coach always tell me are stiff and flow. "You're stiff, need to flow".

I should throw more bs punches setting a good kick. You're right.

A flow shadow sparring without gloves, shin guards and headgear would be good to learn how to be less stiffed?

I feel easier to lose my stiffen when I do pure boxing. What do you think?
You can do it without gear, when I do my hooks are slapish. Its more to help you throw combinations and work on footwork. The intensity is very low, so the result is you relax more and its very "lazy" like

Pure boxing more flowing for you? hmmmm, maybe. do you have a different stance when you spar in boxing vs MT/KB?

I'm going to agree with the partnered shadow boxing.

You can do it without gear, when I do my hooks are slapish. Its more to help you throw combinations and work on footwork. The intensity is very low, so the result is you relax more and its very "lazy" like

Pure boxing more flowing for you? hmmmm, maybe. do you have a different stance when you spar in boxing vs MT/KB?

Yes, I think I do vary more. I can focus more on head and waist movement, shoulder roll and that stuff. I feel more comfortable moving my feet when boxing.

I'm really stiff when I kickbox. I don't know if I can tell MT stance, is different.

You need to get absolutely whooped by some unimpressive-looking person who fights technically. It's going to happen sooner or later. You will FEEL what's wrong with your current idea about how fighting works and be forced to change (learn to be technical) or quit altogether.

You need to get absolutely whooped by some unimpressive-looking person who fights technically. It's going to happen sooner or later. You will FEEL what's wrong with your current idea about how fighting works and be forced to change (learn to be technical) or quit altogether.

Sorry. Maybe it's my awful english, but i didn't understood that.

Please explain me! Thanks

Sorry. Maybe it's my awful english, but i didn't understood that.

Please explain me! Thanks
He means a "weaker" technical fighter will beat you with technique + tactics, and the brawler-brute-force-rely-on-athleticism/strength-style isn't viable long term.

I personally don't think its that black and white, but I get his point.

He means a "weaker" technical fighter will beat you with technique + tactics, and the brawler-brute-force-rely-on-athleticism/strength-style isn't viable long term.

I personally don't think its that black and white, but I get his point.

Oh I see...

He's right! I'll work on my technique and leave the brute me for the ring only.

The thing it's that I have to find how. I received some good advice here, thanks you all!!

Also, you probably have it drilled into your head (by movies, etc.) that fighting is all about "reflexes" and whoever acts the quickest gets to capitalize on the moment. Media has made it seem like this is the truth of fighting.

Reality is almost the opposite. Try fighting "slow," it will force you to use good tactics and movement. Fighting is really about capitalizing on the opponent's mistakes, misunderstandings, and lack of timing or position. You should also work 1-on-1 with a coach to drill technique and tactics slowly, then work up to speed when they become more solid with careful repetition.

Great pickup line, TS.

Also, you probably have it drilled into your head (by movies, etc.) that fighting is all about "reflexes" and whoever acts the quickest gets to capitalize on the moment. Media has made it seem like this is the truth of fighting.

Reality is almost the opposite. Try fighting "slow," it will force you to use good tactics and movement. Fighting is really about capitalizing on the opponent's mistakes, misunderstandings, and lack of timing or position. You should also work 1-on-1 with a coach to drill technique and tactics slowly, then work up to speed when they become more solid with careful repetition.

I'll try to slow.

I think the quicker the best, its more a this times thing that just a fighthing thing.

I'll try to slow.

I think the quicker the best, its more a this times thing that just a fighthing thing.

There's a time for each.

If you know how to do both, you'll be unbeatable. In sparring you should try being smooth and measured, because if you can beat them while being relaxed, paced and smooth, you can always "turn it up" if you ever need to.

Wow all these posts, when you just need to say........I think TS just needs to be punched in the face really hard, then he might stop acting like an idiot......and if that does not work....maybe a broken rib, so he wakes up the next day, feeling like he can't breath.......

TS you know you have a problem, just do something about it......you don't need Sherdog to tell you what you should be doing.......don't you have a trainer.....

Back