"I need to get into shape so I can start training BJJ."

It's a valid line of thinking, to an extent. You don't need to be in peak physical condition to train but it absolutely is helpful to show up able to handle a warm-up and get through a training session without throwing up or needing to take breaks constantly. It's hard to do two things at once and you're going to have a difficult time focusing on technique when you're barely able to get your hips off the mat and you're struggling to breathe the entire time. BJJ is fucking rough, no matter how accommodating you are.

I never understand the attitude like anyone can just jump in and start doing it no big deal. If your body isn't prepared for that sort of activity, injuries are a lot more likely. I think most people have blinders on to an extent and they think that immediately training as often as possible is the answer to everything. From what I've seen, people who show up in shape have a far better chance of sticking it out long term. People who try to get in shape through BJJ usually quit or get injured. Learning jiu-jitsu can be discouraging as fuck. Getting choked repeatedly isn't the best way to start off the process of making a drastic lifestyle change.

There's also the fact that the better you get at BJJ, the easier it becomes. Once you hit a base fitness level, your limitations are going to be because of technique. I've seen bigger dudes go all the way from their first day to purple or brown belt with almost no change in body composition. They just learn to adapt their game to their capabilities. Becoming a competent grappler is a different goal than getting in shape. One can lead to the other but they're largely separate things.

So basically... yeah, I'd tell someone to get in shape so they can start training BJJ. Not in fighting shape or anything like that, but put a few months in so they'll be better able to handle it.

From what I've seen, people who show up in shape have a far better chance of sticking it out long term. People who try to get in shape through BJJ usually quit or get injured.

Some of my longest lasting students (I've run a gym for 10 years now) have gotten into shape through BJJ.

Okay?

I didn't say it was impossible to do.
Just giving a counterpoint to your statement that students who are already in shape tend to stick it out for the long term as opposed to people who get into shape with BJJ. I think it depends on how long of a time scale you look at. I think the longer the time frame, the more likely someone who got into shape via training BJJ is to be among those remaining. If you have 5 people at your gym who have been training BJJ for ten years (totally arbitrary numbers here), I bet that 3 of them got into shape from training.

To play devil's advocate here...if you are massively overweight maybe it is better to get a PT and work the weight off first.

It's a pretty bad setback to lose 50lbs then injure yourself.

Also, you should be able to bench at least 315 for 3 sets of 10 and squat 400 for 5 sets of 20. ;)

Depends on the school. There are BJJ school where they'll spend 45 minutes "warming up" with push ups and squats and box jumps and cartwheels and jumping over each other's backs. Sometimes the only school in your area is that kind of school. Cartwheels and hopping over your buddy are not activities for 300 pound dudes, but nobody wants to be the 300 pound dude sitting out for the first 45 minutes of class either.

You're right about that man. My best friend is a retired mma fighter with 10+ years of mma/bjj training. He moved to NYC to start personal training and find a good bjj school to train at. He hadn't trained in a few months and was def out of shape. A contact set him up with Marcelo Garcia's school. They invited him to train at one of the advance classes,said the warm up alone damn near killed him lol. He was dissapointed to have been so out of shape but was happy he got to roll with Marcelo and some of the top guys they had. Needless to say when he moved to florida for a job he dropped about 10 lbs and made sure he was in shape when he got a 30 day trial at Blackzillians haha.

In my own case i joined a RABJJ affiliate back in 2014. I was worried too about not being able to compete or just gassing after a round or two of rolling. I'm a former wrestler and lift 6 days a week,so i'm pretty jacked,,which can really work against you at a BJJ/MMA place. #1 there is always the wrestling/bjj rivalry, #2 Guys want to tap the big strong guys.#3 they see your size and figure you're gonna be a muscle head spaz and just come guns blazing. So i was def worried about being a target to say the least. None of that happened though, no one tried to kill me or prove bjj superior or whatnot,everyone was cool. I think what helped me is i didn't try to wrestlefuck my partners,used strength only when i had to,and tried to work on my guard instead of smashing from top. It definitely was tough though,felt like certain days i was getting no where. A few times i was like i need to lose about 10-15 lbs of muscle and then come back,but that's going about it all wrong. You get better by being there,and your body type is your body type more or less. The transformations from the heavier guys losing weight from bjj was incredible,and it really motivates ya when a 6'2 340lb dude comes in,can barely finish the warm up,,and 6 months later he's down to 290 and doing 4-5 rounds of rolling!

I think people just don't wanna find out how tough they aren't ..as guys,that's really what it boils down to. Universally We as men ALL think we're ALOT tougher than we actually are,and BJJ or any grappling/combat sport will put shine that light on it like non other. I've heard the not enough time excuses,to expensive,don't wanna get hurt,not in shape,etc. The truth is,if you wait till you're in shape to start,you'll never get there. Time will pass you by and then your excuse will be that your too old now. I always tell my conventional gym friends that you may get whooped for a few weeks,months,but if you stick with it you'll be 100% tougher than you currently are.

The absolute best thing anyone can do with fear of starting bjj is find a good school. You find the right school man and no matter your age or afflictions in life you will be able to train,have fun,and get better. I started BJJ at 36 years old and work 50+ hours a week,i can't train 4-5 days like some can yet i mke the most i can out of it. some weeks it's 3 classes,some 2,yet i'm a better person because of bjj. Made great friends,learned a ton about myself and how i respond under pressure,and just feel better over all. I wish more of my friends would give it a shot yet i feel like the cross fit cult folks when i try to convince them to come in for a class lol.

IMO the most daunting part of starting training was the warm-ups.

Everybody doing fucking crazy rolls and shit and I was just an out of shape guy who could barely jog for 2 minutes. It was really embarrassing to stop doing the warm up because I was dead so fast.

I really think that all the acrobatic shit should not be in warmups unless its a super advanced class. That stuff really puts off newcomers who are really anxious and worried already.

i went from 210lb to 175lb by simply training 5x a week for 6 months straight. no additional cardio or weights. and i still drink almost every night. it's a win-win

its good to get in shape first... if you actually plan on getting in shape.

I'm in the process of getting back in shape before joining a club now, but that's more back and shoulder rehab related than the fact I'm a disgusting lardass.
Having trained there before I simply know that if I show up without a decent amount of mobility I'm just going to end up hurt again.
Either from rolling or from being stupid and not realizing I can't go as hard at 37 coming off 18+ months of injuries and eating too much as I could at 24 or whatever.

I'm 6"6, 300 lbs and I had no problems with my first class. I also started well into my 40's. I guess it all depends on the individuals athletic abilities.

Back