I may be gerontophilic...

Not true. People were high on him before he fought for the belt. After Shogun things went downhill and maybe because he did get cocky or changed afterwards.

Anyways. I empathize for the older fighters but most of the time I'm indifferent if they lose unless I like them. But usually I do like the veterans over the youngsters.

I have to disagree. Firstly i dont think people were high on him at that stage. They were initially, but with ever growing attention and hype, he was gradually getting a reputation as being cocky which was publicly highlighted by Rashad during their beef just after he beat bader. But even if you are right and he was beloved prior to the shogun fight, I dont think it was the actual act of beating shogun that made people dislike him- he could have beaten him, humbly accepted the belt and honored shogun, and i think most people would be ok with that. The fact is he has a personality trait that a lot of people dont like, and when someone is disliked and they continually find success, the number of haters proportionally increases. Of course i could be completely wrong - most people are really stupid and American water is highly fluoridated so i guess its possible that someone could hate an athlete for defeating the athlete they support.

Love to see a white belt thread that is not a troll. I think this is an interesting phenomenon. I was going to suggest that there might be a bit of an underdog component as well. Everyone likes an underdog and generally older guys are considered underdogs against young guys. It makes me curious how old you yourself are. If you're at that age where you're "past your prime" you might be drawn to aging fighters whereas if you're a young buck this makes less sense. I have no psychology degrees, but I did get an A in elementary psyche!. Armchair motherf*cka!

lmao what's it called when somebody has to announce that they have 3 degrees? You couldn't just come in here and start your paragraph differently?

Yeah, that was douchey of me, I apologize. The dude asked if anyone had a psychology degree, though. To be honest, a psych undergrad degree is a dime a dozen, I believe it is the most popular or second most popular major in the US, so there are a lot of armchair psychologists roaming around :)

hahahaha. no you don't.

I'm sure his license plate on his 1996 Honda Civic says " 3 Degrees"

You fucking kidding me? With 100k in student loans and 2 kids, I can't even afford a Honda Civic. I just carry around my tassels in my pocket.

That word probably doesnt mean what you think it means.

Well I have 3 psychology degrees, but you don't even need one to see what's going on...it's not a fetish for older fighters, but fear of the unfamiliar that you are dealing with. You probably root for the older guys because you don't know the backstories of their younger counterparts at first. But in time, you will be pulling for them as well. I think that's where a lot of people started off hating Jones; he beat the guys that a lot of people already were fond of. See the related phenomenon known as "Pride fetish."

Fear of the unknown and fondness of the familiar. Nothing too deep about this phenomenon.

What type of degrees and what types of psychology?

I have Spanish (doctorado), Inca/Maya/Aztec history and philosophies (maestr

Love to see a white belt thread that is not a troll. I think this is an interesting phenomenon. I was going to suggest that there might be a bit of an underdog component as well. Everyone likes an underdog and generally older guys are considered underdogs against young guys. It makes me curious how old you yourself are. If you're at that age where you're "past your prime" you might be drawn to aging fighters whereas if you're a young buck this makes less sense. I have no psychology degrees, but I did get an A in elementary psyche!. Armchair motherf*cka!

38. So yeah I myself am old I guess. I think the underdog thing plays into it as well.

I like you, Senor, perhaps I will take you up on this offer. Although my time on Sherdog is the only time I get to mingle with the commoners.

Seriously, my degrees are redundant and I would not recommend grad school (and the debt that accompanies it) to my kids. Just a way to postpone being a grown-up. Unless it's med school, that shit is kind of important. (I see you live in Sac! I went to UC Davis for undergrad)

I grew up in a hick/Meth area just 30 min or so North of Sac. Marysville/Yuba City.

Went to Tech school in Rancho Cordova. but alas I only have one degree and it's only from a Tech school so I'm SOL for you club I guess. I did get a lot of student loan debt out of it if that helps my case any.

Back