Opinion I love the f@#k out of xmas but dont say 'Merry Christmas'

Christmas is a potpourri of traditions. Just because some Pope decided in 350AD to make Jesus birthday the 25th to make conversion of Pagans easier doesn´t really make it a christian holiday exclusively. Hell christmas in it´s current form has just as much to do with Coca Cola.

So

Happy Saturnalia
Have a great Dies Natalis Sol Invictus
Enjoy Dies Natalis of The Christ
And Merry fucking Christmas

merry christmas go fuck yourself.

dont tell me what i cant do.

This is a stupid and made up issue. I know very few (if any) atheists who are truly offended by Christmas. In fact, thinking about it, I know none. And everybody else (Muslims, Orthodox) have their own traditions and religious activities, why would they be offended?

As an atheist who grew up in a mix of secular and evangelical settings, of course I celebrate Christmas. And whether I wish someone merry Christmas or happy holidays depends on the situation, but I certainly don't think twice about it. My company wishes people both...

I'm Jewish, don't care about Christmas (I like Christmas decorations though) and I say Merry Christmas.

<Fedor23>

Because it totally takes over the entire culture. It is obnoxious. I don't want to hear a Christmas song again. Ever. But it is inescapable.

Somebody once said, "Someday they will declare war and nobody will show up." I am hoping that for Christmas. It will be declared Christmas season and everyone will ignore it. I mean it is fun for kids and shit but adults need to fuck off.

Last christmas, I gave you my heart, and the very next day, you gave it away...

There. Now you have to listen to that in your own head for the next week approximately. There is no escape.

I understood. I was commenting on how it seems silly to be bothered by it. The intent of the saying is to wish someone well, not force them to practice a certain religion.

It is a crazy thing to be bothered by. But it's just as crazy that people take this stand against "Happy Holidays" too. They are both supposed to be kind words, part of a positive interaction. I always took "Happy Holidays" to include New Years, basically a way of saying, "Merry Christmas and Happy New Year" without actually saying all of that.

giphy.gif

One of my facebook friends is constantly shoving her menorah down everyone's throat. I mean it is really, really important that you know that she knows she's Jewish. But if you write "Merry Christmas" to someone on their wall or on your own wall she has a panic attack about how oppressive Christians are. The wretch goes around looking for people enjoying their holiday so she can complain about how it's hurting her.

There is just more and more of this every year. Just cancel all holidays. Or make one holiday. Call it "Exchange gifts and eat food" day.

One of my facebook friends is constantly shoving her menorah down everyone's throat. I mean it is really, really important that you know that she knows she's Jewish. But if you write "Merry Christmas" to someone on their wall or on your own wall she has a panic attack about how oppressive Christians are. The wretch goes around looking for people enjoying their holiday so she can complain about how it's hurting her.

There is just more and more of this every year. Just cancel all holidays. Or make one holiday. Call it "Exchange gifts and eat food" day.
I endorse this idea

I say merry Christmas to everyone. What I find amazing is when someone says happy holidays to me. I will say Merry Christmas to them and they light up with a smile and say Merry Christmas back to me. It is like a lot of people want to say Merry Christmas but say Happy Holidays instead so they do not offend others.

Is this honestly a big thing in America?

I say merry Christmas to everyone. What I find amazing is when someone says happy holidays to me. I will say Merry Christmas to them and they light up with a smile and say Merry Christmas back to me. It is like a lot of people want to say Merry Christmas but say Happy Holidays instead so they do not offend others.
They are just being considerate to others feelings.

There's nothing wrong with wishing people Merry Christmas and it has nothing to do with oppression. People wish other people something good and she thinks it's oppressive. Lol She's nuts. I hate people like that.

I say merry Christmas to friends and family who I will see on or around Christmas to celebrate the holiday. I say happy holidays to professional and distant personal contacts who I won’t see until after the new year, to capture both holidays and with them well generally during the festive season. I guess I could say “merry Christmas and a happy new year”, but that’s a little clunky.

They are just being considerate to others feelings.
They just don’t want the PC virtue signal patrol to start a Twitter campaign to get them fired and lives ruined because they said a simple greeting that many don’t even associate with a religion anymore.

I do them the solid and say Merry Christmas so they can feel the joy of saying it back without having to worry about being attacked and labeled by the misguided souls of the new millenium.

I don't think America's culture hinges upon a christian adaptation of a pagan holiday. I think that if people spend their time whinging about things like holiday greetings while most Americans don't even know our own history, they are rubes, and willfully so.

Lol, and you called the other guy melodramatic.

I always felt that Happy Holidays encompassed Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, not necessarily Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc.

I don't really get wound up the axle either way. Christmas is supposed to be cheerful time, anyone that seriously gets upset by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays is a total dildo

100%.

I never concern myself if someone else is offended by everyday, normal speech. That is their problem to deal with

I've never met anyone who doesn't observe Christmas. Muslim families, Hindu, Jewish, etc.

In America, it is a secular gift-giving holiday and most participate without giving a thought toward any religious notion. I've never seen anyone offended after hearing "Merry Christmas", but I'd bet it happens to neckbeard atheist "intellectuals" more so than to anyone who is genuinely from a culture that doesn't observe.

Back