Opinion I love the f@#k out of xmas but dont say 'Merry Christmas'

DEN

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
....unless I am certain the person I say it to also celebrates Christmas. I do so because I consider it bad manners to impose my cultural traditions on another person. Well I hold no religious beliefs (aside from the meditation traditions of the east) I recognize that the holiday is at its heart a religious one and I would not like to presume a stranger's religious tradition.

Do you think saying Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays is a matter that comes down to simple etiquette or are the implications more profound?

P.s. I fucking love Christmas. Merry Christmas all AND happy holidays!
Pps I dont get offended if a stranger says merry Christmas to me.

If I feel like saying Merry Christmas to someone, I'm not going to try to figure out if it'll bother them or not. Have a merry christmas or don't.

I don't see how saying Merry Christmas is offensive at all, in fact I find Happy Holidays annoying tbh. No one celebrates "the Holidays", you celebrate Christmas or Hanukah or what have you.

And I say this as someone who grew up in a household that didn't really celebrate Christmas beyond accepting invitations to Christmas dinners.

I don't see how saying Merry Christmas is offensive at all, in fact I find Happy Holidays annoying tbh. No one celebrates "the Holidays", you celebrate Christmas or Hanukah or what have you.

And I say this as someone who grew up in a household that didn't really celebrate Christmas beyond accepting invitations to Christmas dinners.
I'm not bothered by it but see how someone could feel it's being forced on them constantly.

....unless I am certain the person I say it to also celebrates Christmas. I do so because I consider it bad manners to impose my cultural traditions on another person.
Huge if true.

....unless I am certain the person I say it to also celebrates Christmas. I do so because I consider it bad manners to impose my cultural traditions on another person. Well I hold no religious beliefs (aside from the meditation traditions of the east) I recognize that the holiday is at its heart a religious one and I would not like to presume a stranger's religious tradition.

You've already accepted that Christmas (and Christianity) is part of your culture. Not bad for a secular guy such as yourself. What you haven't yet realized is that your culture is part of your nation.

Do you think saying Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays is a matter that comes down to simple etiquette or are the implications more profound?

P.s. I fucking love Christmas. Merry Christmas all AND happy holidays!
Pps I dont get offended if a stranger says merry Christmas to me.

The implications are very profound. Saying "Merry Christmas" is another way of saying "we celebrate Christmas in our culture." Saying "Happy Holidays" is like saying "we have no culture, so feel free to define it for us."

Dude you need to get on TRT

I'm not bothered by it but see how someone could feel it's being forced on them constantly.

Why don't you just ask them what they want you to celebrate?

The implications are very profound. Saying "Merry Christmas" is another way of saying "we celebrate Christmas in our culture." Saying "Happy Holidays" is like saying "we have no culture, so feel free to define it for us."

Are you serious? This sounds like the inverse of some gender studies lecture about micro aggressions. Good god.

You've already accepted that Christmas (and Christianity) is part of your culture. Not bad for a secular guy such as yourself. What you haven't yet realized is that your culture is part of your nation.

Do people argue Christianity isnt a part of western culture?

To: TS

Merry Christmas

It's funny how people act in the new social climate.

most people really are not offended by a Merry Christmas, and why should they be.. But people are I think confused at the PC stuff that gets pushed and 'inclusivity'. It creates a situation where you just aren't sure and people tend to shy away from things they are unsure about.

I watched this type of interaction the other day when a lady who was in a good mood went to wish the lady at the dentist office a merry Christmas but she hesitated and fumbled her words and said she was unsure if it was offensive to say and said happy holidays. The lady at the dentist assured her that it was fine, and then she got her merry Christmas.

Kinda awkward but well meaning.

The War on Christmas is ginned up bullshit to get rightwing culture warriors excited but you really gotta wonder what kind of person gets offended at hearing Merry Christmas. Talk about easily offended.

....unless I am certain the person I say it to also celebrates Christmas. I do so because I consider it bad manners to impose my cultural traditions on another person.

Better or worse manners than making people feel bad for observing cultural traditions?

I'm agnostic and celebrate Christmas, who gives a shit. Tell Merry Christmas to everyone. If a SJW becomes hysterical because you said that - good, take out of the popcorn. My personal theory is the pagans invented this holiday because European winters suck, they wanted something to cheer people up. Most of the stuff we associate with Xmas has nothing to do with religion: santa, the reindeers, the presents, the elves in the factory, the good and bad lists, the decorated fir tree. It's a predominantly cultural holiday that pre-dates Christianity. The end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back