I live in Thailand ask me anything (Thailand brahs gtfih)

@5crew

where did you end up going?

It was a business trip actually and I had very little time because of delays here and there, was supposed to meet 4 clients but ended up only meeting 3. Didn't even had time to go for the Thai Massages because of time constraint.

I ended up in Yaowarat for supper but at the end of the day, we were holding quite a huge amount of cash with us, so we retired early instead of getting drinks. I did noticed a new bar with live band at the end of the stretch that I never seen before though. Could be in my to-visit-list for my next trip.

I'm back to Singapore, exhausted from the two flights within 24hrs.

Expat community in Bangkok has grown enormously. It has changed a lot though. A lot more young professionals and less sexpat / retirees.

Can you live in Bangkok on a 35,000 baht/ month salary?

Can you live in Bangkok on a 35,000 baht/ month salary?

Yes you can, but you would have to be conscious of your budget on a daily basis. The low end salary for English teachers over here is 35-40k a month. Not a lot of money though. You would need to be smart about it. If you like to drink, eat quality western food, stay in a nice place, travel etc, then it would be very hard. If you don't mind renting a very cheap room in a less central location and eating thai food everyday, then it is doable.

Do they have cock fights (you know the birds) also have you been to see muay thai? I heard the tickets arent cheap

Huay Kwang. I love that place. The army gutted the fuck out of it sadly when they shut down all the street markets but there is still a lot of good restaurants there.

There's no more street markets in Thailand? That sucks. I'd spend hours walking around the markets when I was there

Why do you prefer children to women?

There's no more street markets in Thailand? That sucks. I'd spend hours walking around the markets when I was there

There are plenty in Thailand but in Bangkok they have shut down hundreds. Entire districts have been cleared of any street selling and markets.

Bangkok still has some too but a lot less than before and most of the cool or convenient ones are gone.

Do they have cock fights (you know the birds) also have you been to see muay thai? I heard the tickets arent cheap

Yeah they have cock fights. A lot of rural gyms also train and fight cocks. I usually go to watch muay thai at Channel 7 stadium on Sunday as it is free. The big three stadiums are a bit of a rip off price wise. I only go there when I'm taking friends to check it out.

What is the longest name of a person you have personally heard there?

Yeah they have cock fights. A lot of rural gyms also train and fight cocks. I usually go to watch muay thai at Channel 7 stadium on Sunday as it is free. The big three stadiums are a bit of a rip off price wise. I only go there when I'm taking friends to check it out.
What about drugs? Are they easy to find? And is the punishment harsh for a tourist if he gets busted

What about drugs? Are they easy to find? And is the punishment harsh for a tourist if he gets busted

I don't mess around with drugs in Asia as the laws here are pretty insane. Not worth the risk. You can find drugs here easy but it is pretty risky. Nothing to stop the guy who sold it to you grassing you so that his cop buddy can extort you for ton of cash and then they split it 50/50 lol. Thailand isn't a great place for drugs.

What is the longest name of a person you have personally heard there?

My friends surname is Prachirasiwongchaisongkram. Long names are fairly common over here.

This is the full name of Bangkok;

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam

My friends surname is Prachirasiwongchaisongkram. Long names are fairly common over here.

This is the full name of Bangkok;

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam

wow, thank you. I like when American announcers attempt to announce names like that during kickboxing matches!

There are plenty in Thailand but in Bangkok they have shut down hundreds. Entire districts have been cleared of any street selling and markets.

Bangkok still has some too but a lot less than before and most of the cool or convenient ones are gone.
Why and when did they start closing down the street markets?

I don't mess around with drugs in Asia as the laws here are pretty insane. Not worth the risk. You can find drugs here easy but it is pretty risky. Nothing to stop the guy who sold it to you grassing you so that his cop buddy can extort you for ton of cash and then they split it 50/50 lol. Thailand isn't a great place for drugs.

What happens if you get caught with drugs. Also would you be able to get out of it with your white privilege powers.

Hey @Oeshon I'm in Chiang Man now (here until Feb). Might sound strange, hah, but I'm looking for leather belts with metals studs, size 28, but can't find any here. Been to a couple malls and several markets. Not exactly the belt below, but that type of style.

Are these easy to find in Bangkok, as well as other rock/punk type of clothing and accessories?

81tblh69TUL._UX679_.jpg

What happens if you get caught with drugs. Also would you be able to get out of it with your white privilege powers.

Most likely jail and/or a huge fine. Depends what drugs and the amount but expect jail time in a Thai prison (not a fun time!).

White privilege won't help you and it isn't all that cheap and easy to pay off cops anymore. I had a friend caught with some weed and he had to pay 50,000 baht to the cop on the spot to get out of it (a bit under 2000 USD). Once you are in the system you can't pay your way out and you will be going to jail.

Honestly not worth it. I enjoy blazing up every now and then but I do that when traveling outside Asia.

Back