I live in Thailand ask me anything (Thailand brahs gtfih)

Depending on how much you earn, that IGLU seems like a decent deal. 30% seemed a lot at first, but factoring in visa cost, an office space availale in Bangkok, Chiang Maii and Phuket with gym and swimming pool and free internet that's actually not bad. Of course if your income goes up a lot then it would be cheaper pay the Elite Business visa cost yourself and rent your own office space.

You can't legally work on an Elite Visa. IGLU would set you up with a Non-B Business visa and work permit.

How is the healthcare there? I know they have government run stuff, but I mean quality wise compared to say Australia?

How is the healthcare there? I know they have government run stuff, but I mean quality wise compared to say Australia?

World class private healthcare is available. The government hospitals provide minimal care and are overcrowded. A lot of people fly to Thailand as 'medical tourists' as it is cheaper to fly here for a few weeks and get the work done here than just do it at home. Dental care is extremely affordable and the dentists are all western trained. One thing I don't like about hospitals here is that they will pad your hospital bill with bullshit and charge you more if you are a foreigner. Your insurance (which you hopefully have) then negotiates the bullshit charges down. I had a hospital bill for 25k once and talked it down to 9k when I was moving to out patient.

Outside Bangkok, hospital care can be very hit and miss. Some places have decent hospitals and some areas will have nothing but shitty clinics and rundown government hospitals.

World class private healthcare is available. The government hospitals provide minimal care and are overcrowded. A lot of people fly to Thailand as 'medical tourists' as it is cheaper to fly here for a few weeks and get the work done here than just do it at home. Dental care is extremely affordable and the dentists are all western trained. One thing I don't like about hospitals here is that they will pad your hospital bill with bullshit and charge you more if you are a foreigner. Your insurance (which you hopefully have) then negotiates the bullshit charges down. I had a hospital bill for 25k once and talked it down to 9k when I was moving to out patient.

Outside Bangkok, hospital care can be very hit and miss. Some places have decent hospitals and some areas will have nothing but shitty clinics and rundown government hospitals.
Thanks. I have been looking at places to do the whole teaching English thing in so I can see some of the world, and Thailand is on the list.

Another question: How has living in SE Asia changed your opinion of Australian women? Are you still interested in them, other than just casually. It's definitely a global dating environment these days.

Also, how do you get along with the Thai guys? Are they typically disrespectful and insolent, or just indifferent? Do you have any legitimate friends in the locals?

How dangerous is it over there? Are you at risked of getting robbed or stabbed walking around late at night? Also what about bar fights etc? Have you ever felt in danger at any point?

Also can you teach me marketing so I can make money remotely like you?

How dangerous is it over there? Are you at risked of getting robbed or stabbed walking around late at night? Also what about bar fights etc? Have you ever felt in danger at any point?

Also can you teach me marketing so I can make money remotely like you?

Thailand is quite safe for the most part. If you have some basic street smarts and common sense you will be fine. Much safer walking around Bangkok than Melbourne. Bar fights are a lot rarer too. I used to see bar fights every weekend going out in Australia. I've only seen handful in Thailand. That doesn't mean that there isn't violent crime because there is, I just don't think it is anywhere near as bad as a lot of places.

You can definitely learn how to make money online doing a lot of skills. Really depends on what skills you already have and your general aptitude on what you should consider doing. I gravitated towards marketing as I'm very analytical found it a good fit for me. If you are looking to start a new skill for online, the best one to pickup would be programming. You can pretty much learn any skill you want for free online. There are also really cool courses on Udemy or people that run blogs/youtube that go through everything you need.

Thailand is quite safe for the most part. If you have some basic street smarts and common sense you will be fine. Much safer walking around Bangkok than Melbourne. Bar fights are a lot rarer too. I used to see bar fights every weekend going out in Australia. I've only seen handful in Thailand. That doesn't mean that there isn't violent crime because there is, I just don't think it is anywhere near as bad as a lot of places.

You can definitely learn how to make money online doing a lot of skills. Really depends on what skills you already have and your general aptitude on what you should consider doing. I gravitated towards marketing as I'm very analytical found it a good fit for me. If you are looking to start a new skill for online, the best one to pickup would be programming. You can pretty much learn any skill you want for free online. There are also really cool courses on Udemy or people that run blogs/youtube that go through everything you need.

What routes would you recommend when it comes to marketing? The reason I ask is because I've been looking into doing some simple email marketing for a small company and i've seen how it can generate a steady income which I find enticing. As far as skills, I can do graphic design and i'm looking into taking a web design class.

Tips?

What routes would you recommend when it comes to marketing? The reason I ask is because I've been looking into doing some simple email marketing for a small company and i've seen how it can generate a steady income which I find enticing. As far as skills, I can do graphic design and i'm looking into taking a web design class.

Tips?

No money in graphic design and web design, specially if you can't code. Don't waste your time. Look at it this way. There are websites like fivverr and 99 designs where you can get graphic design (albeit shit) for pennies on the dollar. You can't get a programmer to work at those prices. You also have a ton of smart people (ie programmers) making more and more tools and programs to automate the design side of things. Wordpress, Shopify, Squarespace, etc. Learn graphic design and basic web design to COMPLIMENT other skills like marketing and programming, not to be your main skill.

I hire designers and programmers and pay the programmers a hell of a lot more than any of the designers. We end up doing pretty much all of our design work in-house as there are so many designers out there looking for work, so it is easy to get one in on the cheap. Not as easy to get a good programmer and they tend to know their worth.

For marketing, learn SEO, email campaigning, how to run a sales funnel, a/b split testing, etc. Basically the ins and outs of E-Commerce is what you want. You can then sell these skills/services to every company out there or work directly for one.

Also, how do you get along with the Thai guys? Are they typically disrespectful and insolent, or just indifferent? Do you have any legitimate friends in the locals?

Nah, they are great. Nothing like Japan or Korea. Thais are very welcoming and accepting socially and Thailand in general is a very social society. If anything they lack independence and always need to hang out with friends. I travel a lot alone and Thais always find that strange as they would always travel together. I have some good friends here that are Thai. All of my good Thai friends speak English well which helps.

Another question: How has living in SE Asia changed your opinion of Australian women? Are you still interested in them, other than just casually. It's definitely a global dating environment these days.

A lot of people come to Asia with a jaded outlook and then shut themselves off further. I didn't have a problem with girls in Australia or other countries before coming to Thailand and I still hook up with a lot of western girls as I travel outside Asia often and live in Bangkok (a lot of hot western chicks live here too). There are definitely advantages and disadvantages between Asian and western chicks. I've never had a western chick start clipping my toenails and do my laundry after a one night stand for example. If you are dealing with middle class and upper class Bangkok girls, there isn't a dramatic difference culturally. A middle class Bangkok chick isn't going to clip your toenails. They have iphones, study, work, etc. There is a greater mutual respect and standing compared to the disparity between a western man and a poorer rural girl. The big difference is that women are happy to be women here and they want men to be men. There is no gender fluid blue haired SJW nonsense.

I don't try to paint anyone with broad strokes and there are great girls across lots of different cultures. If you want a loyal partner who will be a woman and let you be a man and be good to raise a family with, a Thai woman would be a good pick. There are good and bad chicks here, but the prevailing culture promotes a strong family bond and respect to elders.

I wouldn't rule out dating a girl from any country or culture. I'll treat everyone as an individual. I'm currently seeing a Dutch chick who works at UNESCO here.

Edit: There isn't any of this stuff in Thailand for example - http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/vegan-cafe-in-oz.3591147/

Last edited:
Cambodia and Thailand are not even comparable. Cambodia is a true shithole. Feel free to visit and check both out, but don't think that they are even remotely similar just because they are next door.

Hey man, what giving you the opinions of Cambodia? I'm going there end of the year so curious to know..

What would you say you is the best working arrangement for an IT professional expat?

Is there accommodation with appropriate wifi, desk/office setups. Not into the idea of shared work spaces so much.

what is your ratio of winning connect four?
& is there any ladyboy that makes you thinking about switching team, if you know what im mean?
I'm batting .000. Those bar girls are good! lol

@Oeshon
Hey, I'm heading to Bangkok for a 1 day, yes extremely short, trip tomorrow.

I wanted to visit Rot Fai Market Ratachda but realised it's only open on Thru to Sunday. So I was curious if you have any places to recommend for a Tuesday night, for local foods and drink. I'm okay if it's non-touristy places, I'm pretty comfortable in Bangkok.

@Oeshon
Hey, I'm heading to Bangkok for a 1 day, yes extremely short, trip tomorrow.

I wanted to visit Rot Fai Market Ratachda but realised it's only open on Thru to Sunday. So I was curious if you have any places to recommend for a Tuesday night, for local foods and drink. I'm okay if it's non-touristy places, I'm pretty comfortable in Bangkok.

What sort of place you want to hang out and drink at? I know a ton of places bro. Depends what you are after.

I love to go Iron Fairies. It is very uniquely decorated and has live open mic jazz. More highend expat/thai cool and hip crowd. It is in Thonglor.

iron-fairies-bangkok.jpg

If you want a club, the guy who designed Iron Fairies also designed a badass club called Sing Sing. Again, super unique with young/hip crowd. Full of hot chicks and guys.

cover_large_p1b5a4k5k5tfc1vsi9benae1qp23.jpg

If you are after something else let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

What sort of place you want to hang out and drink at? I know a ton of places bro. Depends what you are after.

I love to go Iron Fairies. It is very uniquely decorated and has live open mic jazz. More highend expat/thai cool and hip crowd. It is in Thonglor.

iron-fairies-bangkok.jpg

If you want a club, the guy who designed Iron Fairies also designed a badass club called Sing Sing. Again, super unique with young/hip crowd. Full of hot chicks and guys.

cover_large_p1b5a4k5k5tfc1vsi9benae1qp23.jpg

If you are after something else let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

I was looking for more street food after 8pm, and probably a pub nearby for a drink place.
I was looking back at previous recommendations, Bamboo in Soi 1. What kind of food do they serve there?

Or any big night market like Train Night Market Ratchada, but opened tomorrow night. Else I'm probably heading to Chinatown.

EDIT:
Is JJ Green Market opened on a Tuesday night?

Last edited:
Back