"I like to fight and I haven't got the belt anymore, so f--- it. Let's fight." - Michael Bisping.

I wasn't aware of the buyrates for that event.

That's an uncomfortable place the sport is heading, that when a fighter wins a belt, they're just looking for the guy who has the best history of selling a fight/ppvs.

The buyrate I believe was in the financials for the UFC when WME-IMG was going to try and get a loan I believe.

It's sort of always been that way but McGregor's rise has made it worse. Part of the problem with the Money Fight era is when fighters start stomping their feet about money fights, it tells everyone they're not a draw.

Makes sense to me. There were very few big money fights he could've gotten, and he made his retirement money off of the GSP fight. He's only got a few fights left, and with no pressure on defending, he can just go throw leather and enjoy what time he has left.
This. Very simple to understand...

He's not fighting in February. He never would have as his last fight will be in March in the UK. So that kinda puts your theory of ducking those guys to shit.
I didn't say that he was fighting in February. Jacare is booked to fight in February, so if they matched him with Bisping, guess when Bisping would have been fighting? I think you took my February reference incorrectly. My point was that if he didn't quickly jump on the Gastellum fight, he would have been available to fight the guys I mentioned. I don't think he wanted that, so he pounced when the opportunity to avoid that dilemna. So, no....my theory, although subjective, is not rendered shit by your rebuttal.

I have not insulted you in any way. You have now resorted to attempting to insult and belittle me, instead of making an effort to express your view/opinion. Either you have no point, or you are incapable of expressing it properly. Your insults were ineffective and simply make you look like a child, in which case your crappy trolling bounces off me and sticks to you. Because you are glue.

We don't know how much money Michael made in this fight. We assume he made a lot, and we assume GSP made a lot.

However, if Bisping had that trilogy in the UK, or defended against Romero in the UK, how do we know those fights would have made substantially less than the GSP fight?

I understand GSP was a lot of money. But if money is the goal, why not fight more when holding the belt? We know champions make more money when they fight vs not being champion. So how much money did Bisping lose by not fighting Romero or Rockhold or Whittaker?

You can break this comment down to this: "I can't beat Romero/Whittaker/Rockhold so I've got to hold out for the GSP fight as long as I can."

If Bisping believed he was the best fighter in the division and that he could beat those guys, wouldn't he have taken those fights in the meantime while GSP was preparing to return?

Why does it have to be one or the other? There's a reason for that. Is it because he knew he couldn't beat those guys and would thus lose the GSP fight?

1 fight in 17 months against #13 ranked.
Can now take 3 fights in 5 months.
That is unusual.
Don’t be so sensitive.

The GSP fight sold nearly one million ppv buys. Bisping made as much money in that single fight than he would fighting all three of these guys. For a guy at the end of his career that is a very easy choice. I don’t understand how that is so difficult to understand for you?

In real life, Nobody fights for honor and to please posters at sherdog. They fight because it is their job, And they have a family and kids to feed. It is not a video game.

I didn't say that he was fighting in February. Jacare is booked to fight in February, so if they matched him with Bisping, guess when Bisping would have been fighting? I think you took my February reference incorrectly. My point was that if he didn't quickly jump on the Gastellum fight, he would have been available to fight the guys I mentioned. I don't think he wanted that, so he pounced when the opportunity to avoid that dilemna. So, no....my theory, although subjective, is not rendered shit by your rebuttal.

Outside of Jacare, there's not a single fight he still can't take in March. Be more concerned with his opponents (perspective ones) who've all found reasons to NOT be fighting. Weidman is injured, Rockhold is doing whatever, Romero only wants a three round fight his next time out.

Don't entirely disagree with your assessment here. Just pointing out he's in danger no matter who he faces.
Definitely. I think he loses this fight, barring Gastellum gassing. Without a doubt, still in danger. I guess what I mean is that Gastellum may be the lesser evil...at least in Bisping's mind stylistically.

He was open about the injury the whole time. He even advised that it wasn't healing right. He also couldn't even start running to get back in shape until the end of August. He started his fight camp for GSP heavier than he had ever been.

What about this is so surprising?
A 38 year old gets surgery that doesn't heal fast or right?
A 38 year old who runs a lot and is a top conditioned athlete

Any of this seem in the slight bit surprising? How much mileage is on those knees including all the MMA training?

A guy who has fought every tough SOB that there has ever been in the MW division including Anderson, Vitor, Rockhold (2X), Hendo (2X), Chael, Brian Stann, Wanderlie, Leben, Cung Le. Yet somehow everything thinks he's afraid to get in the cage with anyone?
I never mentioned the word "surprising." I said that I found the timing of his injury & recovery conveniently ironic. I never said he was afraid. People who are afraid don't elect to fight for a living.

But I do think that he'd rather not fight the aforementioned contenders if other options are available. And at this stage in his career, I don't have a problem with that.....unless you hold the title. As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm not mad at the guy. And I no longer care who he fights because he no longer has the belt. In fact, I even said that I wish the guy signed on for an easier fight than this. I don't want to see him go out on a losing streak.

Why couldnt he fight against Yoel, Chris, or Luke in March?

Personally I could see him taking any one of those fights.

Outside of Jacare, there's not a single fight he still can't take in March. Be more concerned with his opponents (perspective ones) who've all found reasons to NOT be fighting. Weidman is injured, Rockhold is doing whatever, Romero only wants a three round fight his next time out.
Unless he retires after this upcoming fight. But, let's get one thing straight. I'm not jockeying for those fights. I merely said that it appears that he's found a less obvious way to avoid them.

Why couldnt he fight against Yoel, Chris, or Luke in March?

Personally I could see him taking any one of those fights.
I doubt he is going to have a third fight by March. GSP, Gastellum & then one of those monsters in March. Even a prime ATG would have to look at the schedule and go "WTF?!" lol

I'm not pushing for those fights. I was just speculating that Bisping found a more favorable way to possibly avoid those fights. I'm speculating here. It's a theory. I'm not super invested in it. & I really don't care if he fights them at this point. I want the guy to go out with some winnable fights. I was mainly interested in those fights when Bisping was champion because they were the most deserving contenders. Now that he's no longer champ, I'd rather the guy beat up one or two Brunson types & call it a career.

I never mentioned the word "surprising." I said that I found the timing of his injury & recovery conveniently ironic. I never said he was afraid. People who are afraid don't elect to fight for a living.

But I do think that he'd rather not fight the aforementioned contenders if other options are available. And at this stage in his career, I don't have a problem with that.....unless you hold the title. As I mentioned in my initial post, I'm not mad at the guy. And I no longer care who he fights because he no longer has the belt. In fact, I even said that I wish the guy signed on for an easier fight than this. I don't want to see him go out on a losing streak.
Your selecting my use of the word surprising when you used ironic, JUST long enough, POOF, impeccable timing, and favorable coincidence.

You were clearly implying that he ducked them and was not legitimately injured. As though it could be hard to believe that a guy who had surgery was in fact injured.

Your selecting my use of the word surprising when you used ironic, JUST long enough, POOF, impeccable timing, and favorable coincidence.

You were clearly implying that he ducked them and was not legitimately injured. As though it could be hard to believe that a guy who had surgery was in fact injured.
Well, would that not be favorable coincidence given the timing that this all occurred? Doesn't necessarily means that he ducked them. And I NEVER implied that he was not legitimately injured. You just chose to take it that way. I've NEVER IN MY LIFE accused a fighter of faking an injury. Nor will I, without irrefutable evidence. I have too much respect for fighters, especially long timers like Bisping.

Well, would that not be favorable coincidence given the timing that this all occurred? Doesn't necessarily means that he ducked them. And I NEVER implied that he was not legitimately injured. You just chose to take it that way. I've NEVER IN MY LIFE accused a fighter of faking an injury. Nor will I, without irrefutable evidence. I have too much respect for fighters, especially long timers like Bisping.
You know exactly what you implied. And if you didn't intend it in that way then you should certainly understand how it could be interpreted that way. Especially given that is a common theory here regarding this fight.

Unless he retires after this upcoming fight. But, let's get one thing straight. I'm not jockeying for those fights. I merely said that it appears that he's found a less obvious way to avoid them.

I think we're all saying the same thing just in various tones and tenors.

I hope he retires vs a soft touch (Alvey, Eric Spicely or someone of that ilk) to be honest.

Pretty sure he’s just stating the obvious that he has nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking this fight

I think we're all saying the same thing just in various tones and tenors.

I hope he retires vs a soft touch (Alvey, Eric Spicely or someone of that ilk) to be honest.
Exactly....on both of your points. That's exactly who I want to see him go out against...someone who will fight a style that plays into his strengths, but respectable enough to not be viewed as an obvious "gimme" fight.

You know exactly what you implied. And if you didn't intend it in that way then you should certainly understand how it could be interpreted that way. Especially given that is a common theory here regarding this fight.
Of course, I know what I implied. It was my own statement. Doesn't mean that it aligns with whatever you thought I was implying. I really wasn't looking to go this deep. It was a pretty innocent theory on my part. It does make sense. It doesn't mean that I am correct. I never implied that I was absolutely correct in my theory. I'm a pretty open person when it comes to thinking about things like that. And I just didn't buy his statement in & of itself. I felt that there was still a bit of strategy involved, which isn't wrong. I just noted it. & again, it doesn't mean that I'm correct. It doesn't mean you are either. & I'm ok with that.

I understand how things can be interpreted. But it's not my responsibility to voice my opinion AND accurately interpret them for people. It was plain speech. The part you seem to have a problem with wasn't an outright implication. I said it was convenient timing....and given how things played out (Whitaker ended up fighting Yoel instead of Bisping), I'd say it was. Except what appeared to be the easier fight (GSP), ended up costing him the belt, but giving him a better pay day. Shit happens that way sometimes. But either way, I don't think Bisping is afraid of anyone in the division. I DO believe that there are matches that he'd rather avoid in place of more favorable stylistic match ups. That's all I was "implying." But good chat, no less.

That's <{monica}>Bisping

oh I thought he was talking to Romero... guess he's still wanting to fight WW's

Bisping's been very transparent with what his intentions were while he had the belt. He wanted the options that would bring him the most money as possible.

giphy-1.gif

No he wasn't.

He said he was going to fight Romero next then said Romero doesn't deserve it and said the UFC should make him fight someone else first.

He said he would defend the belt against GSP on short notice for Toronto but when Jacare lost his fight and was ready to step in, Bisping said he was injured. Kept lying about wanting to defend the belt against the #1 contender but never did and ended up getting finished by a WW that hasn't fought for 4 years. <45>

Back