I Like This Philosophy For The Missing Weight Issue

Franc Mittelo

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This was posted by Gerald Harris on his Twitter (https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/ufc-liverpool-twitter-reaction-darren-till-misses-weight).

"I will say this final thing about weigh ins, all the negotiations are fine but in the end being over is an advantage. So, I am willing to give my opponent as long as he needs to make weight as long as I or someone in my camp is present. That puts all the responsibility on them."

This is a great idea. Give the fighter missing weight 2 options. (1) Continue cutting weight with/without the commission (2) If you give up on Option 1, then we can decide about continuing the fight with financial sanctions.

What is the barrier to telling the fighter who missed the official weight, to continue cutting until it makes it?

This was posted by Gerald Harris on his Twitter (https://mmajunkie.com/2018/05/ufc-liverpool-twitter-reaction-darren-till-misses-weight).

"I will say this final thing about weigh ins, all the negotiations are fine but in the end being over is an advantage. So, I am willing to give my opponent as long as he needs to make weight as long as I or someone in my camp is present. That puts all the responsibility on them."

This is a great idea. Give the fighter missing weight 2 options. (1) Continue cutting weight with/without the commission (2) If you give up on Option 1, then we can decide about continuing the fight with financial sanctions.

What is the barrier to telling the fighter who missed the official weight, to continue cutting until it makes it?
it doesn't work like that. unless you are keen on watching people dehydrate themselves to death. they have had all week to make weight. giving them a bit longer won't help.

it doesn't work like that. unless you are keen on watching people dehydrate themselves to death. they have had all week to make weight. giving them a bit longer won't help.
Whatever they are doing now doesn't seem to work either.

Missing weight is the new making weight, all the cool kids are doing it.

the system is the problem. ufc has always actively encouraged fighters going to lighter weight classes. until recently.
And how many are missing weight?

Fighters actively choose to go to lighter weight class, and I'd rather not have a clusterfuck of regulations added to address what's ultimately a non-issue.

And how many are missing weight?

Fighters actively choose to go to lighter weight class, and I'd rather not have a clusterfuck of regulations added to address what's ultimately a non-issue.
it's still a shit system and essentially a lie.

I think that the athlete should consent to having the equivilent amount of weight drawn from blood frim their bodies. If they miss weight. Ie you miss by 10lbs you have 10lbs of blood taken.

I think this is only fair.

If he dies. He dies.

ban weight cuts. it's as simple as that.
Historically, banning and prohibition has never proven to be an effective solution to curbing unwanted human behavior. Bans are not effective. A much better solution is getting rid of the 170 division, and adding 165 and 175. There are a lot of "in betweener" fighters who will fill these divisions.

Most times, when a society tries to ban a behavior, they create an even more dangerous market for it. It rarely works.

unknown1-2x.jpg

Is this speculation or do you have some studies to back this up?
well known fuck amongst weight cutters that it fuck your kidneys, jockeys have been doing it for a long time, as for getting punched while dehydrated, thats kinda obvious.

I think that the athlete should consent to having the equivilent amount of weight drawn from blood frim their bodies. If they miss weight. Ie you miss by 10lbs you have 10lbs of blood taken.

I think this is only fair.

If he dies. He dies.
If he dies, we don't get to see the fight. So, there is nothing to gain with that solution.

Historically, banning and prohibition has never proven to be an effective solution to curbing unwanted human behavior. Bans are not effective. A much better solution is getting rid of the 170 division, and adding 165 and 175. There are a lot of "in betweener" fighters who will fill these divisions.

Most times, when a society tries to ban a behavior, they create an even more dangerous market for it. It rarely works.
i get your point. but i would be quiet happy to see more weight cutters die. they are basically punks trying to beat up smaller people.

Back