I keep getting caught in triangles!

Lovelock

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
When I'm in someone's gaurd I keep getting caught in triangles, I'm only a white belt but would appreciate some tips to not get caught so easy?

Knee up when opponent opens guard.

If it is no gi, I like to keep both arms in the chest area, bent and my posture is low, I gradually slip them out so I can get the double unders pass. It usually works well for me

All the way in, or all the way out. Don't be in the 'twilight zone'.

Don't let them break down your posture or isolate an arm.

I tried so many triangle counters that I came to the conclusion that none works for me.

So I just never leave one arm in and one arm out. That is best way for me.

Also like someone mentioned above, go combat base as soonest possible. Ie shove the knee in the middle

I tried so many triangle counters that I came to the conclusion that none works for me.

So I just never leave one arm in and one arm out. That is best way for me.

Also like someone mentioned above, go combat base as soonest possible. Ie shove the knee in the middle

Yes. In my experience I've learned that the best offense will always overcome the best defense so even if you're the best in the world at escaping triangles the best in the world at applying triangles will best you if he gets his position.

The simples solution is to never be in a position where the triangle can be applied. Stay standing. If you're on your knees at any time post up and start moving laterally. When you get better start focusing on your body positioning so you can start fighting in the mouth of the lion and recognize when you're in real danger.

04c97d4f6f6d7f2de8f8ac45e3fce00896f8c7e19ea00cd199d4983ab5492118.jpg

In regards to getting to combat base from closed guard, it usually helps your mobility if you make a habit of having your hips rowed forward and being slightly on your toes (instead of the tops of your feet flat on the mat) when in someones closed guard. That way when he opens up to shoot the triangle your that much more prepared to bring a knee up or just stand up all together.

Your posture sucks. Seriously keep your head up and have someone try to triangle you and it's quite easy to defend. Focus on your posture and keeping both arms in (or out) and this should start to make more sense.

Everyone else has provided a lot of useful information. The only other thing to keep in mind is that if you can control their legs then you can't get caught in a triangle.

Also, you are still new. It is common for new people to get caught in triangles. It happens to everyone, not just you. You will grow out of it relatively soon.

Posture(Look straight or upwards), arm placement(two arms in or two arms out), Hand placement(Don't place your hands on their knee), and stand if needed.

Double under pass baby.

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/the-most-basic-but-most-powerful-pass-in-jiu-jitsu-by-keenan-cornelius/
That makes total
Posture(Look straight or upwards), arm placement(two arms in or two arms out), Hand placement(Don't place your hands on their knee), and stand if needed.

Double under pass baby.

http://www.bjjee.com/videos/the-most-basic-but-most-powerful-pass-in-jiu-jitsu-by-keenan-cornelius/
That makes total sense, thanks

Posture is the answer to almost everything in JJ. But I will add one thing, make sure you're not trying to pry open their closed guard with your elbows. It doesn't work after white belt and anyone with decent resistance to it can use that pressure to set up a triangle or break your posture...Which can then lead to triangles.

Posture is the answer to almost everything in JJ. But I will add one thing, make sure you're not trying to pry open their closed guard with your elbows. It doesn't work after white belt and anyone with decent resistance to it can use that pressure to set up a triangle or break your posture...Which can then lead to triangles.
That's definitely happened to me a few times, thanks

Everyone else has provided a lot of useful information. The only other thing to keep in mind is that if you can control their legs then you can't get caught in a triangle.

That's what I was gonna say. You just need control over one leg and triangles are not happening. Assuming you're in the gi, get a good grip on one leg whilst you're in guard. You'll notice they'll need to break that grip to pull your arm forward or stuff it back depending on which side their triangle is going. That should be enough to tip you off as to what they're up to early enough to do something about it. Also keep both elbows tight to your body - they need to get their leg under one armpit to triangle. That plus good upright posture and head looking forward/up and you're going to take some breaking down before a triangle is happening.

Of course a good player will move you about and catch you when you're trying to counter something else and get you but only experience can defeat that.

Either have both arms in or both arms out. Don't ever have one arm in and the other out.

Back