I just suck in fighting... how do you really improve in fight sports?

Honnestly - play other sports against other people and really try to do better than them. Teach your body and brain to physically solve problems under pressure. Set a goal, evaluate your performance and try to improve within a single session. Try to improve your vision and predict the movement of your opponents. All these things are required to get better at fighting as well, but pressure of simultaneous attack and defence of fighting is often too overwhelming for beginners. It really does help to develop the mental capacity for fighting when consciously playing other light contact sports, like soccer or basketball. Dead serious here.

I am an amateur soccer player. Playing in a league just under professional level and I am really one of the best players in the league, perhaps the best defensive midfielder. Even tough I smoke and do not possess condition for a full 90 hard core running of 10-13 kms per game in a good speed.

See with soccer I relly on my soccer IQ. I am a very intelligent player. It is a position that requeres a lot of intelligence and understanding the game. In offence you have to run between players and turn and pass preferably a forward pass. That is easy to be done once you understand your position and with simple off ball running and some technique. In defence you have to identify holes in your defending structure and identify threats and mini tasks are to cover passing channels with good positioning so at least they slow down the attacks.

Boxing however is another animal :p

Last edited:
Stick with it and do it more often. You deteriorate fast as fuck If you're inactive. Your hole brain slows down.

Seriously guys how do you improve in fight sports?
I am suddenly the weakest guy in the gym and I have more experience than most people.

I am trying and experimenting and doing what not, but yet in the end of the day when spar day comes all is gone and I get my ass beaten :D

I do not want to be Tyson or stuff, just do well in the sport and beat ass, not getting my ass handled.

Any advices? I am really down atm.

Hell if I know. I was so bad at boxing I took up grappling of all things. Now I scoot around on the ground like a common varmint and have known nothing but never-ending shame for 16 years.

I read a great quote once
If anyone knows who then let me know who said it as I can't remember who it was
A boxing trainer was asked:
What type of person do you prefer to train?
A fighter or a boxer?
He said - give me the fighter every time as I can teach the fighter how to box
but I can't teach a boxer how to fight

I know a lot of tough guys who have had little to no training and would batter a lot of well trained martial artists

If it applies to you - then don't focus so much on techniques for a while just go out and fight
If this doesn't apply - then keep the quote anyway is one of my favs

I read a great quote once
If anyone knows who then let me know who said it as I can't remember who it was
A boxing trainer was asked:
What type of person do you prefer to train?
A fighter or a boxer?
He said - give me the fighter every time as I can teach the fighter how to box
but I can't teach a boxer how to fight

I know a lot of tough guys who have had little to no training and would batter a lot of well trained martial artists

If it applies to you - then don't focus so much on techniques for a while just go out and fight
If this doesn't apply - then keep the quote anyway is one of my favs
I believe this is my main problem. I am not a fighter.
I ve got this friend of mine who recently returned from home arrest to the boxing gym. The guy is straight up bad ass - he set on fire the car of a cop because the cop was messing with his girl. He works as a bodyguard for famous businessman and as a bouncer at free time.

So I watch him spar and comment his stance with the.coach noting how solid his stance is and he is like a rock. You punch him and you go back. And the coach says he is a natural fighter. The dude has nations silver medal from a boxing competition without training boxing but kickboxing and he.knocks down everyone going there. Disqualified on the final for "illegal" knock out. Since then he does not compete.

My ex coach who is a pro MMA fighter again is a natural badass. At 22 he was holding the.drugs in the town as everyone was afraid of him. But luckily turns into fight sports and has a pretty decent carrier. First with boxing in Italy then as a pro MMA fighter, now as a pro kick boxer. He was recently on TV and journalists called his.story inspiring how from a badboy he used his badass mentality to turn into a fighter and now even coach.

This is a really good question and is good to have so many answers
I was talking to my coach one day as there are a lot of people who come to train to get all the benefits but don't really like sparring or the fighting side of it
We were talking about how to get these people into sparring without putting them off boxing / fighting
I found the problem was no matter what we had been learning and drilling before the sparring once the spar started s lot of what they learnt went out the window and they went back to just throwing shots at each other
And what would happen is people get hit a lot and don't enjoy it and the numbers at the class start to fall
My solution was to trick them into sparring without them having that jump from drills and pad work then into sparring
So we started by going over the jab and party

Everyone spilt in pairs
One jab the other party for maybe 10 shots then swap round and go 10 again

Then we went onto the 1-2
And same again 10 each with the opponent parry / block or parry / slip
Then 1-2 hook or a variation of this

We then went to I do one shot and you block then you do 1 shot and I block
But just 1 shot like jab or cross or hook
Then 2 shots - so 1-2 or jab hook

Now we went onto we moved about taking in turns shots and defence
Then moved onto anyone can throw at any time but just that 1 shot then next round 2 shots
Then anyone can throw any shot at any time
And there you go they were sparring

It's a detailed explanation of what I could have said we just built up the sparring but I think the important part was that in each stage they were not just working on the attack but also the defence and counter attack so that when the punch came in they had an answer and wasn't just fumbling for a return shot

We call it conditional sparring - I'm not sure that's the technical term for it
But I think it works well at all levels that when you spar put conditions on it so that you are actually working a skill rather than just 'pretend fighting'

Also but this is another time really is - training in JKD really helped me to get what I wanted with my training and focus on what I really wanted from all this

Everyone giving advice here is talking shit.

None of them know what could help you they're just throwing random shit against the wall hoping it'll stick.

Post a video of you sparring OP. Don't ask the broadest possible question, be specific and maybe you won't be wasting everyone's time.

i focus on a fight as a lot of little exchanges (helps me relax my adhd mind a bit and slow shit down) but i force the exchanges usually and like to counter off my opponent throwing back. To help with this i started to make each combo i threw 3 parts "entery-strikes-exit" or "entery-strikes-defence" . Everything i throw follows this concept whether its just a jab (false start step-jab-pre emptive slip outside opponents jab) (step toward opponents power side-jab-pre emptive slip cross) or something more complex like a jab-cross where i may move between the punches before exiting or defending (step toward power side-jab-pull at a 45-cross-roll under opponents hook). Essentially a jab isnt just a jab (for now) its encased by an entry and exit (defensive) move or "look". Feints can be an entry as well. i write out combos for bag work and such and write the entry and exit in and i feel like this has helped me a lot. DRILLDRILLDRILL and get those quality reps in buddy!

Perhaps you could also focus on paragraphs.

Love it !
Everyone is talking shit...
Except me
Brilliant!
Of course everyone's reply is different
Has something to do with everyone, you know, being different

Everyone giving advice here is talking shit.

None of them know what could help you they're just throwing random shit against the wall hoping it'll stick.

Post a video of you sparring OP. Don't ask the broadest possible question, be specific and maybe you won't be wasting everyone's time.

Chances I record a spar session are very low. First the coach is against it, second friends I go boxing with joke about me posting bag videos on social media and I think they would not like to be in these videos. I will ask some of them if they would like to though.

Can I ask how you look at sparring?
For me it's never - win or lose
I could 'lose' all but the last round and to me I still 'won'
As i achieved what I set out what I wanted to do
If I'm working on a certain technical aspect that I'm not good at I'll 'lose' most of the rounds till I figured out how to get it right
If by the end of the session I'm landing the shot clean - that's a win
Sparring is not fighting it's just a drill

Maybe this will help to look again at what sparring actually is
It's a chance to improve with some level of stress present
It's not a win or lose contest

Some guys I train with are all over me in sparring - they're either more skilled or more aggressive than I am
But my real strength is in my heavy shots - so when it comes to fighting these type of people are not so aggressive and theier skill is lessened by not wanting to come in so readily

Last edited:
If I'm working on a certain technical aspect that I'm not good at I'll 'lose' most of the rounds till I figured out how to get it right

Some guys I train with are all over me in sparring - they're either more skilled or more aggressive than I am
But my real strength is in my heavy shots - so when it comes to fighting these type of people are not so aggressive and theier skill is lessened by not wanting to come in so readily
Thats really how it should be appreoached

There are days where I get worn out liek a bag by the hgigh lv ammys and pros, but of the entire 1h sesison at the end I managed to land a 1,2 clean. I take it as a successful session and build on that. The whole point of sparring is to be a testing enviornment where you test what you've been working on all week in live practice

Once in awhile its fine to "win", but it doesnt really do jack. When I started out and didn't know better, the "winning" aspect screwed with me. One week I "won", thought, he ain't that good, what's the big deal...then the next week and so forth I "lost" badly. Turns out Mr. 10-3-0 / 5 was working on rear uppercuts, while I was aiming to win and smash.

I have been working on pressuring the last months and getting into mid and close range.

The last sessions I have worked on my positioning and forcing my mates to be out of position.

During that period I have improved my stance. I now use some basic head movement and some bob and weaves. I feel very confident insight. My defence gets better.

My coach knows I am my biggest critique and often compliments me in spars. He has worked hard on my positioning too and we are working and pressuring and rhytm at the.moment. He wants me more bouncy - forcing counters after jabs so I am able to jump back out and then jump back in. He wants me to keep in range all the time. And I agree with his concept.

I had troubles with losing my sight of oponents but this seems almost gone.

So I am working on stuff. It is not win or lose. But I am working on my overal game.

I really want to turn into that mofo that breaths in your neck, comming forward fearless for exchanges and initiates attacks.

So far I only manage to do this against one of my friends but that is because he is weak defending and good when attacking. And as long I put him on the back leg he has no answer.

My SP friend keeps me pressured actually instead of me pressuring him. However now I rather go inside and smoother him and exchange than go back. Which seems to produce results.

My giant friend. He beats the hell out of me when outside but once I get in I am able to do damage. He has some personal agenda to win against me. And once even challenged me for a spar with full force. I almost unintentionally knocked him out with an overhand I landed without looking but he almost broke my ribs with a right uppercut.

Mostly I am mad that I have a strong right but I fail so often to set it up. I am afraid to use it.

I have been working on pressuring the last months and getting into mid and close range.

The last sessions I have worked on my positioning and forcing my mates to be out of position.

During that period I have improved my stance. I now use some basic head movement and some bob and weaves. I feel very confident insight. My defence gets better.

My coach knows I am my biggest critique and often compliments me in spars. He has worked hard on my positioning too and we are working and pressuring and rhytm at the.moment. He wants me more bouncy - forcing counters after jabs so I am able to jump back out and then jump back in. He wants me to keep in range all the time. And I agree with his concept.

I had troubles with losing my sight of oponents but this seems almost gone.

So I am working on stuff. It is not win or lose. But I am working on my overal game.

I really want to turn into that mofo that breaths in your neck, comming forward fearless for exchanges and initiates attacks.

So far I only manage to do this against one of my friends but that is because he is weak defending and good when attacking. And as long I put him on the back leg he has no answer.

My SP friend keeps me pressured actually instead of me pressuring him. However now I rather go inside and smoother him and exchange than go back. Which seems to produce results.

My giant friend. He beats the hell out of me when outside but once I get in I am able to do damage. He has some personal agenda to win against me. And once even challenged me for a spar with full force. I almost unintentionally knocked him out with an overhand I landed without looking but he almost broke my ribs with a right uppercut.

Mostly I am mad that I have a strong right but I fail so often to set it up. I am afraid to use it.

Good job man, making mad improvements. In 1 year of hard work and dedication your going to be a beast and just run through people in the gym. Just don't try to be the Mike Tyson of the gym.

You don't sound like you suck
Just sounds like you're wanting too much too quickly
It's also not all about sparring - take some time off and really work on what you want to do away from the ring
Drill with an opponent who will keep going over the same parts with you without it turning into a sparring session
Once you've got it down - get back to the sparring

Great approach. Well written too.

Sparring really shouldn't be a win or lose, but some gyms their are guys who have rivalries with each other and just turn a spar into a real fight, or just spar hard until someone goes down.

I have had like 2 of those in the past. Once with a guy who was having his first few weeks of sparring (I turned out to be better but we didn't turn it into a real fight, he would always try to hit tornado kicks and spin back kicks even though he didn't drill them at all, he would do was just throw it once on the bag) and one other guy who was a quick learner in the gym and had the best technique in a roundhouse kick in the class, he actually got me with a hard liver kick and I would just go down that was his deadly weapon.

You should spar as hard as your sparring partner is going. But make sure to check with your sparring partner first if you want to turn it into a real fight.

Thanks for the support, everyone

I enjoy the sport a lot. Especially sparring. Gives me an adrenaline bump and energy in the morning with which I feel damn fresh and ready for challenges.

I am a very competitive person. So not comparing myself to others is very, very hard. This is my drive - to be better than the rest and has always been my drive. I ve done it in soccer, I ve done it in esports (yep I was also a nerd at some point).

Comparing to myself is hard. I really try to feel comfortable when practicing. I mean I am comfortable with my combos, I am comfortable on the pads and etc. I d say I have a decent technique, but when it comes to put it together in a fight I suddenly suck.

For comparison I had the same feeling when I was learning to dribble in soccer. On non moving cons I could dribble freaking awesome, but once there is an opponent ... things get nasty. After 15 years break from soccer now I am an amateur player and I have no problem dribling past opponents, but I struggled greatly 15 years ago in my youth years. It is the same feeling right now with sparring and implementing technique I have practiced shadow boxing, working on the bag or the pads.

What I focus on when I spar? This is a good question. My main focus is questioning myself if I am on the right position or distance to try named combo, so I do not get countered easily. Or how do I defend, where I am on the ring and etc. But most importantly I hesitate. I always question.

That has its positives though. Today I was able to see a spar partner that he likes slipping inside and go to his left while comming up with a jab or uppercut. So I tried just to tripple jab going to my left too and surround him from the left side which put him on defence for most of the round as he did not expect me doing so many jabs going that way and seting up my right hand in that way. But mostly it brings negatives... my hesitation.

I mean I can do well in spar, but I have to try freaking hard and give 120 % of myself. I do best when I pressure, cut angles, use that freaking jab like a lot, being active and I mean way more active than my opponents. But if I take a slack I get my ass handled. The second I think about relaxing and taking a breather I start being beaten. If I am acting and hustling I do well. If I decide to relax I get ass handled.

I do boxing for many reasons. But my highest motivation few years ago to start with the fight sports was to learn to fight. I was like "hey, I am going to be a father in a near future, I need to learn to defend family". But right now I enjoy the sport a lot. It really helps my mood, helps get rid of frustration and anger and etc. And yep it worked wonders with my confidence, especially in soccer.

Now I have tried to think why. Why do I suck in sparring? And it is mostly hesitation. Sometimes it happens I let my hands go and I do well, but it is rare cases. I am actually not afraid to get hit right now. I eat shots like a champ. It is the frustration of not being able to put up a fight and let these hands go. I would like to counter, I would like to in fight, I would like to throw longer combos and get out of this 1-1-2 or similar combinations to which I reffer almost 80% of the time.

I have a partial solution not sure if will help. I have decided to put up some time on adding slips, ducks after my combinations and comming up with further combinations. To drill them up like a lot. For example 1-2, duck under, 2-3, weave body hook or upper-2 and etc. To work a bit on some kind of a flow. Or 1-2, slip out 2-3, or 1-2 side step 3-2 and etc. To get damn body used to do more and be flowing. Not sure where this journey will take me though.

That was interesting reading and explains a lot. One question for you, do you ever spar with relative beginners? Someone who you can handle with relative ease? I know there is the phrase 'Iron sharpens iron' but I always thought that you sometimes need to go against relative noobs and then you will realise how much progress you have made since you yourself were a noob. Don't mistake me for saying that you shouldn't spar with people that challenge you but I think it can be a confidence boost to realise you're a lot better than when you started. Also when working with people below your abilities you can work on adding in the stuff that you have only just started using, like a new combo. That way you can work on your timing against an easier target so that when you come to spar someone much better at least you have some idea of the timing and position you need to be in to land it. So a mix of levels of sparring partners is recommended.

Also in sparring something that I used to do was to work in detail on one aspect of my game that I wanted to improve. So I'd really focus on just that technique and everything else would be based off that. When you have a singular focus in sparring it helps you to really hone your techniques under live fire conditions and you'll be able to measure progress more readily because you'll know whether or not your technique is working. You don't have to do it all the time but just remember that sparring isn't a fight, it's training to improve. You don't have to 'win' at sparring to really win at sparring. If you come out of sparring and you managed to land your 123 combo x amount of times then even if you 'lost' the sparring it's still a successful result.

Back