I joined a kickboxing gym that had us doing elbows and knees.

Defanged

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How is this a kickboxing gym in that sense - I thought those were not permitted in kickboxing ?

Knees are allowed, and many Kickboxers in the west compete wherever the money is right now, so they also dip into muay thai.

Kickboxing is gay. If you're gonna do anything, compete in Thai rules.

A lot of gyms especially in the US call themselves kickboxing clubs even though they teach muaythai. Makes it less complicated to recruit mma fans and people who don't know what the hell muaythai is.

I don't think there is a universal definition for kickboxing. In japan there is japanese kickboxing that uses elbows, which is different from K-1 style kickboxing without elbows. Then there is also WAKA kickboxing with no kicks below the waist, no knees, no elbows.

Most kickboxing today is inspired by K-1 style kickboxing but with some differences.

In the end, most different styles have some lap overs and similarities it's not black and white. There are some good threads in this forum about the history of dutch, japanese and american kickboxing. Does anyone have a link?

Kickboxing is gay. If you're gonna do anything, compete in Thai rules.

If kickboxing is gay then what is boxing? Ultra gay?

Kickboxing international rules allowing for all kicks and punches is better than boxing. Hands down.

If kickboxing is gay then what is boxing? Ultra gay?

Kickboxing international rules allowing for all kicks and punches is better than boxing. Hands down.
Maybe he means the shiny pants :p

Joins kickboxing gym, gets trained like Dieselnoi, questions training.

[<dunn]

Knee strikes are allowed in K-1 we also train knees, but elbows aren´t. It might be though, to improve and understand the mechanics of your punches or strenghten your elbows? I am not sure.

How is this a kickboxing gym in that sense - I thought those were not permitted in kickboxing ?
Japanese style Kickboxing allowed knees and elbows even Thai Clinch, that's the style taught in Kurosaki Gym

Japanese style Kickboxing allowed knees and elbows even Thai Clinch, that's the style taught in Kurosaki Gym
Japanese Kickboxing is basically Muay Thai.

This is different from K-1 which ironically we all refer to as Kickboxing as well.

In other news, BJJ gyms teach people how to do techniques that are not competition legal.

Back