I invented a term that is going to stick today.. "Narrative propaganda" is now a thing.

All news is Propaganda though, and everything said is a narrative....so basically you're calling it what every other story out there is.

All news is Propaganda though, and everything said is a narrative....so basically you're calling it what every other story out there is.

No.. some news is a reporting of events. The narrative associated with one story isn't very dangerous; but when 30 stories a day all push the same narrative, it becomes propaganda. It becomes narrative propaganda.

I agree with the general idea of differentiating biased (or simply disagreeable) news commentary from propaganda (that's what Trump/Bannon/Kushner do, is push propaganda), but not the POV of the OP.

In regards to CNN and BBC stories that are not newsworthy, but are shown solely for the narrative they create, the term "narrative propaganda" hereby replaces "fake news."

The story about the ad for the apartment that indicated "No Trump voters." It's not news-worthy, what one individual had a preference for living conditions. Not "news." The story itself may not be a lie, or "fake," but it's narrative propaganda.

BBC reporting on Angalina Jolie saying "We must reject xenophobia; America is more than Trump." She said it, but that doesn't make it news. It's only reported because it's narrative propaganda.

These stories run ALL DAY. Remember, call it "narrative propaganda" when you see it, and remember who said it today, first. It could also be pro-Trump, or something on Fox News. Fox News may have invented it 15 years ago; I don't know because I wouldn't watch Fox News until very recently.

But please, call out narrative propaganda where you see it, and make this phrase stick. The news needs to take these opinion pieces passed on as news and begin them with "One side of the debate states" or "One view on the matter is etc..." at a minimum, to keep their news from being 100% narrative propaganda.

That's funny, because people will get upset by it like they do the fake news bit. Both sides pull equally in their own direction, it's like tug-of-war. Conservatives on the right, liberals on the left, each pulling on their end of the rope. The left-leaning outlets dwarf the right's, so it can get overwhelming at times, but each side is pulling just as hard as the other.

I agree with the general idea of differentiating biased (or simply disagreeable) news commentary from propaganda (that's what Trump/Bannon/Kushner do, is push propaganda), but not the POV of the OP.

Haaaaahahahahaha at only Trump and people pushing propaganda.

That's a good one lol.

Haaaaahahahahaha at only Trump and people pushing propaganda.

That's a good one lol.
They're actually meta-pwning you on this one. The propaganda of the day is to enforce this very narrative. That all reporting is propaganda, that opinion and commentary are propaganda by definition, alternative facts, etc.

They're actually meta-pwning you on this one. The propaganda of the day is to enforce this very narrative. That all reporting is propaganda, that opinion and commentary are propaganda by definition, alternative facts, etc.

Lol no. You wish though.

Nice to see you don't vet or criticize the narratives you take in.

Everyone has an angle, the question is, how much truth is there to it. The fake news narrative by CNN was a great example of misleading narratives. What's fake is no more important than what kind of information is excluded from a narrative. They never speak about that though.

When the leader of a Nation does it the proper term is, I think, rhetorical despotism.

It is, the problem is that people associate propaganda with it being either fake or it being deceptive.

But the main thing, guys, is to remember that "narrative propaganda" wasn't a part of press coverage until Donald Trump became POTUS. :rolleyes:

haha, quite the facetious tone but I see your point;
"narrative propaganda" has long been an issue throughout the Obama administration

Though the level at which it is at now is beyond ridiculous and evident/obvious.
-Especially considering Trump has only been in office for 1 month.

You think it'll only get worse?

In regards to CNN and BBC stories that are not newsworthy, but are shown solely for the narrative they create, the term "narrative propaganda" hereby replaces "fake news."

The story about the ad for the apartment that indicated "No Trump voters." It's not news-worthy, what one individual had a preference for living conditions. Not "news." The story itself may not be a lie, or "fake," but it's narrative propaganda.

BBC reporting on Angalina Jolie saying "We must reject xenophobia; America is more than Trump." She said it, but that doesn't make it news. It's only reported because it's narrative propaganda.

These stories run ALL DAY. Remember, call it "narrative propaganda" when you see it, and remember who said it today, first. It could also be pro-Trump, or something on Fox News. Fox News may have invented it 15 years ago; I don't know because I wouldn't watch Fox News until very recently.

But please, call out narrative propaganda where you see it, and make this phrase stick. The news needs to take these opinion pieces passed on as news and begin them with "One side of the debate states" or "One view on the matter is etc..." at a minimum, to keep their news from being 100% narrative propaganda.
"Narrative propaganda" represents half the threads started in the war room.

haha, quite the facetious tone but I see your point;
"narrative propaganda" has long been an issue throughout the Obama administration

Though the level at which it is at now is beyond ridiculous and evident/obvious.

There is nothing even remotely as propagandistic and anti-Trump coming from CNN, ABC, CBS, etc, as the negative reporting coming out of Fox News for the past 8 years relative to Obama and Clinton.

You're literally living in some parallel universe.

There is nothing even remotely as propagandistic and anti-Trump coming from CNN, ABC, CBS, etc, as the negative reporting coming out of Fox News for the past 8 years relative to Obama and Clinton.

You're literally living in some parallel universe.

Factor in social media references to the MSM, the resulting Protesting/rioting, the number of media outlets, the newfound political expertise of hollywood, and the sheer triviality off what's being reported... Trump has definitely been attacked a lot more.

Has any presidency been this scrutinized over such a short time?
-look at this objectively and you'd have to admit the media has been quite the "narrative propaganda" catalyst

Factor in social media references to the MSM, the resulting Protesting/rioting, the number of media outlets, the newfound political expertise of hollywood, and the sheer triviality off what's being reported... Trump has definitely been attacked a lot more.

Has any presidency been this scrutinized over such a short time?
-look at this objectively and you'd have to admit the media has been quite the "narrative propaganda" catalyst

Whether one agrees with what he has done or said aside, it is a fact that Trump has been the most over-the-top radical and outside the box POTUS of the modern era.

So, of course, the coverage will reflect this.

It's similar to a school shooting. The media focuses a lot more intensely and relentlessly on a case like Sandy Hook, where 26 get murdered. As opposed to a shooting where shots are fired, but no one is fatally wounded.

Propaganda alone sounds too harsh. If a lady or guy actually said it, maybe it's not just propaganda.. But it all accumulates to push a narrative they are creating.

No modifiers needed.

I don't say pass the pepper spice, I just say pass the pepper. We already know it's a spice. Know what I'm saying?

Propaganda is a narrative, it's self contained and self explanatory, without wasteful modifiers.

I am all up for language evolution, but where is the "new" reality that needs defining that the word propaganda doesn't cover?

If you want this term to catch on with the masses, you are going to have to define it better than you have and give it clearer meaning by relating it to a well explained new phenomenon. So far I am not really seeing that, or the need for this term outside of it being a form or propaganda itself for political purposes, as we have seen with alternative facts and fake news.

Back