I hope they start deducting points for all this hugging

As someone who has competed, I've always hated this practice along with touching gloves during the fight because it breaks a fighter's focus and rhythm but is considered "classless" if you don't go along with it.

I like Yair and I've been trying to tell people since the fight was announced that he's underrated and is dangerous for KZ but this is what distresses me about the fight and how it unfolded.

It was the THIRD time in the 5th round alone that this happened. All initiated by Yair.

The person who initiates it always has the advantage in this situation. It's like saying "Time out. Don't hit me right now or that's bad sportsmanship. Now that you've let up for me to mentally catch up while I take a moment away from YOUR focus, Time in." THREE TIMES in the 5th round alone.

Right before the stalling, KZ's approach was completely different than after. He had just thrown a punch and was carefully pressing Yair (not chasing) and was measured and focused. Then Yair initiates the stalling and KZ is too classy to hit him in that moment. It's no surprised that after the "RESET" Yair threw an aggressive combo.

I've been saying the whole time that Yair is way better than most people give him credit for but how that went down, still has me in "WTF" mode. Maybe I have OCD but I would have preferred Yair to win without all the shenanigans. I really feel for KZ. Can't think of a worse way to lose and that KO is the type that fighters are never the same after but I hope I'm wrong about this. Unfortunately that means KZ is going to have to take ANOTHER long layoff to recover.

I hope next time someone tries to initiate one of these the other fighter pops them with a jab. Hopefully this stupid "gesture" ends. They'll probably get grief from the dummies that call it "classless" though. Even worse is that touching gloves and other such gestures are "customs and unwritten rules" in martial arts and amongst fighters. You may not understand if you've not trained but "respect" is big in martial arts gyms because it's what keeps fighters egos in check and draws a line between training and trying to kill each other. Respect in the gym is needed but I digress.

Anyway, that's my rant. Go ahead and flame me but I'd love to hear a discussion. What do you guys think about all this?
You should rewatch the fight KZ happily took a break every time, his hands down looked at the clock and plenty of fighters in the past have waved off that high 5 and hugging shit. Both guys at fault for that and KZ was smiling and looking like he was having fun before the last show of respect it seemed like Yair was just reciprocating the feeling I think it’s getting blown out of proportion. HE KNEW HE HAD 10 seconds and decided to charge forward because that’s what KZ does

KZ didn't have to stop throwing strikes. I honestly think they were both just that tired. You rarely see 5 rounds of action that intense.

Yeah.. how dare the ones actually fighting embrace the moment.. it's really annoying to the people shitting on them..

Another problem Floyd Mayweather knows exactly how to handle...

yvzz03q8zajz.gif

it definitely seems odd, but I have never stepped into a cage fight, so I'm not going to talk a bunch of shit.

I get the whole 'we are in this together' aspect to a sanctioned fight, but I still have a hard time understanding the ability to go back and forth from hugging and high-fiving to trying to potentially catastrophically injure that person...but maybe that one of the reasons I'm not a professional fighter lol

I find the practice of touching gloves so often weird especially at the start of the fight. You just touched gloves 20 seconds ago in the center of the octagon with the referee. After an accidental groin shot or eye poke is fine. To open the final round is fine. Otherwise, it's unnecessary.

9/10 times it doesn't bother me, but in cases where it goes as far as Barry vs CroCop and last night's fight I find it fucking annoying

At least it was an excellent fight
Pretty much this.

I was shouting at the TV "Just fucking keep fighting!!!".
But.... It was s very entertaining fight so at the end of the day it doesnt bother me much.

I hated that shit last night, I was screaming at KZ to blow his face up when he did it that last time. One time during a war is ok, any more is excessive and definitely not with 10 seconds left in a close fight.
as bad as his fans feel, just imagine being KZ regretting this all day. He has learned to never show mercy or compassion inside the cage again. Evil KZ is born.

You can do whatever you want in the cage.

There are ways to win and lose. There are rules in place and I don’t want to see a rule that one fighter can’t do this or that motion. Israel wants to flip off Brunson? That’s ok. Yair wants to throw his arms up and touch gloves? That’s fine. Nick Diaz wants to do Barbie on the Beach? He can.

The other fighter has to be able to see this curve ball and stick with his game.

Can Khabib say “talk now? Let’s talk!” That’s fine. Don’t want any arbitrary rules in place, that will fuck the sport up more.

Can't fucking stand it

After the fight is fine, and after the round is over if they want to touch gloves or hug fine. But during the fight just fight ffs

Shit was so cringy last night. KZ looked to be the better fighter but got caught up that nice guy antics and let his guard down to be KOd

Completely agree. It disrupts your opponents timing and game-plan

After the first offence it should be a deduction for timidity/avoiding engagement.
you are leaving yourself wide open; there's no reason your opponent can't just hit you or take you down.

I can’t believe people really feel that effected the ending HE LOOKED AT THE CLOCK AND KNEW HE HAD 10 seconds left he could of just played defense and won but no he made the decision to charge forward like he was all fight long and got caught it had nothing to do with the respect

Shit was so cringy last night. KZ looked to be the better fighter but got caught up that nice guy antics and let his guard down to be KOd
Zombie just did what he does. He came in wild and got caught by a lucky shot. I don't see how it had anything to do with other stuff.

First time was okay... got more and more annoying as the fight went on.

Then zombie got KO’D and shit was nuts.

as bad as his fans feel, just imagine being KZ regretting this all day. He has learned to never show mercy or compassion inside the cage again. Evil KZ is born.

lol man I hope you're right, he just needs to get some fuck you in him to take it to the next level..

Preach it bro. I've come to REALLY not like Yair over this past while. His epic duck-job of Zabit plus this shows me everything.

Back