I haven't watched a movie in the theaters in over a year, is it true you have Assigned seating now?

The theaters near me have "assigned seating" (You choose your seats) and they do not cost any extra.

Why the fuck would anyone think choosing your own seat, and being guaranteed that is a bad thing?

What's even better is if you want to see a movie you know is going to be popular, like Wonder Woman was for me recently, I purchased a week in advance and was able to great seats without any stress or having to arrive 90 minutes early to wait in line.

The theater was completely full and we walked in 5 minutes prior and strolled over to our middle center seats (six of us), then calmly order food (Star Cinema Grill).

The old days feel like we were plebeians in comparison. This scenario would have been completely impossible before

In Switzerland it's allways been like that. But it had more to do with the price of the ticket. Like front rows, side seats or at the back had diferent prices and nowadays some seats are larger have more leg space and at some places you can order food and drinks, and so on...

My local cinema has been doing this since it opened like 10 years ago. You get a little seating chart when you book online and you can pick your seats.

You don't get assigned to a seat, you pick your seat.

And it's great.

Buy online a few days before, get there when the movie starts, order a cold beer and enjoy the movie.

That sucks, I haven't watched a movie in over a year in theaters. But I heard that now when you buy a ticket you are a assigned a reserved seat number and have to sit there.

I miss the days when you could just walk in an pick a seat, so now even i the theater is half empty and im stuck sitting next to an annoying person Ill have to suffer the entire movie next to them and can't change seats?
depends on the theater , assigned seating is actually nice for popular films that sell out the power recliner seats from cinemark are also nice.

Worst case scenario is someone shows up late and asks you to gtfo. But if you're like 15 mins into the movie and there's open seats it's probably safe to say no one has bought them
I did this with zootopia I just sat in an empty seat because I didn't like the one I had no one showed up later

how do you know a seat is not taken?
it has it listed on the screen when you buy your ticket at the counter or online. also if you are about 30 mins into the movie and no one shows up and the seat is empty you can probably change seats because that person probably isn't going to show up.

That sucks, I haven't watched a movie in over a year in theaters. But I heard that now when you buy a ticket you are a assigned a reserved seat number and have to sit there.

I miss the days when you could just walk in an pick a seat, so now even i the theater is half empty and im stuck sitting next to an annoying person Ill have to suffer the entire movie next to them and can't change seats?

You'd rather stand in line to purchase a ticket? I don't miss those days. Trying to guess what time you have to get in line to get good seats or any seats to see the movie. I recall when the first multiple screen theater opened here. They had one box office selling tickets for all 4 movies and they weren't staggering the starting times so even if you weren't going to the most popular movie you were stuck in a long line to purchase tickets.

For the nicer theatres, yah. Tend to have bad ass, comfortable leather seats and serve liquor too. I don't understand why someone sees that as a negative.

Some theaters have that which is cool since you don't have to get there super early to avoid sitting in a shitty seat.

Yep I like it. Can buy tickets online and not worry about having to show up and wait in a line for a fucking hour just to get a decent seat. Although I'm going miss the arguments between people because someone came in early and wants to save the next 9 seats for his friends.

Actually, a lot of theaters have installed reserve seating with fewer total seats in a given theater, but for a higher price. My favorite one near me has power recliners. It's boss as fuck.
the power recliners brought me back to the theater beats the old shitty velvet seats barely padded cushions in overcrowded theaters with no elbow room

I live in Vegas, and a lot of the movie theaters are transitioning to assigned seating with the comfy reclining seats. Gives you more room between people.

Also, more theaters are starting to serve things like alcohol, premier food, and legit coffee from legit coffee chains.
the food is still terrible here they serve microwaved pizza that is burnt or bland undersized nachos . only the archlight had good food.

the food is still terrible here they serve microwaved pizza that is burnt or bland undersized nachos . only the archlight had good food.
That sucks! There's this new theater they opened in the old downtown area that is supposed to be part theater/part night clubish vibe/part restaurant. It hasn't been doing well though. Probably because of its location...it's in the ghetto kind of.

Assigned seating can still suck. Still like playing mine sweeper. Pick the wrong area and you might find yourself surrounded by explosive surroundings and still have your movie experience ruined. Worse yet, you can't walk to an other seat since they're assigned.

the power recliners brought me back to the theater beats the old shitty velvet seats barely padded cushions in overcrowded theaters with no elbow room
Not to mention the ability to reserve a seat. I love that. I hate getting to s movie super early and still getting hosed. Instead, now I can saunter in just as the previews start with a glass of rye whiskey in my hand. Quite the upgrade.

I know of a couple cinemas in my area that do, but most don't. The ones that do are part of the same chain, and have nicer seats.

I live in Vegas, and a lot of the movie theaters are transitioning to assigned seating with the comfy reclining seats. Gives you more room between people.

Also, more theaters are starting to serve things like alcohol, premier food, and legit coffee from legit coffee chains.

Just don't go to Aliante. Since the Cannery transitioned to Luxury Seating that's my go to, but my Wife bought my son and I tickets to see CA: Civil War at Aliante not realizing they're not Luxury and it was a horrible experience. They may have upgraded since then, but I will never go back. Worse than airplane seats. My boy stood the entire time because he's not heavy enough to keep the seat from folding up on him.

My local theater has nice, reclining seats that are reserved. You pick your seat when you buy the ticket.

But for a 1/2 empty theater, sit where you want.

Yes, for all 39,000 theaters in America you have to have assigned seating. They formed an organization and did that in the year you were gone.

Yep, and I hate it. You pick out the seat you want on a screen when you buy your ticket. Obviously you could move to an unsold seat once the movie starts though. I'd rather pick a seat when I get there, based on how loud/smelly/obnoxious other people in the theater appear to be.

Back