I hate SouthPaws

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Ilk, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Ilk Blue Belt

Ilk
    So was sparring against my friend who is SP yesterday. The dude has been consistently training the past 2 years, while I have not really.

This is what happens. He has learned a couple of things to do well.

First the jab war - he was just able to out jab me from that side and often was pushing my hand down or countering my jab with his. I was successful in a couple of occasions to come around with a hook. But he couht me with few good jabs.
    - Looking for advice here on how to win the jab war with a SP.

Second winning the footwork war. No matter what I tried (even stepping on his feet) he got that angle way more often than me.
    - Can someone give more advice here what do I do to win the foot positioning war more often

Lastly I was in a position where he has the angle. I got rocked once with his cross, and in the next attack he hit me in the solar with a good body hook with his rear hand. I eventually figured him out and was able to catch his rear hand. In few cases I even countered him - once when blocking his cross, I immediately send mine. Once when blocking his body hook I immediately send an uppercut. However he also figured out I am able to see his rear hand and started adding right hooks after the jabs and mix up his rear cross and right hook in a good way. By the end I was in a panic mode, hands up, sending some jabs and trying few combos and pressing in order to not let him attack.
    - So what do you do once you lose the angle war? How do you defend properly? Looking for advice here.

And lastly ... I try to do a body jab and go up for a cross. The asshole pivots and sends his cross while I am going up and catches me, cuts my lip and almost dislocates my jaw. This shit has never happen against an ortodox partner, but this SP friend finds an angle outside my body jab.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  2. ctrlaltdelete Purple Belt

ctrlaltdelete
    Truth is the best way to beat a southpaw is by using the same tactics they use against them.

What sucks is that they're usually better than it than we are, since they do it all the time.

3. Ilk Blue Belt

Ilk
    Yeah... I figured that out. He is just way better at what needs to be done in order to win that war feet and jab war.

4. Sinister Doctor of Doom

Sinister
    What specific angle are you talking about footwork-wise?

AndyMaBobs and Valhoven like this.
  5. Ilk Blue Belt

Ilk
    The lead foot angle. You best know that when fighting a SP as an Ortodox you need to win the lead foot angle.

6. UnderRatedGroundGame White Belt

UnderRatedGroundGame
    You don't have to get the angle. It is advantageous but it's not the only angle you can get to beat a southpaw. I think Roy Jones used to circle right in fact.

7. PivotPunch Red Belt

PivotPunch
    As someone said you don't HAVE to get the otuside angle.

You should obviously also try to get it and make him fight for it but if you know you ahve no chance take a strong angle from the opposite direction whcih will only be easier if he tries really hard to get an outside angle. The good thing about that is that you are already past his rear hand and ideally he's in line of yours.

Also obviously a long lead hook to cut him off if he circles. You can step sideways of straight punch but you have to go under circular punches or be at a distance and pull away so that will at least make ti more difficult. You said yourself you aldned a few hooks. You have to time the hook the jab will always beat your hook if you pucnh at the same time. Either include a preemtpive slip before you hook or parry his jab with your rear hand while you hook (and hope he doesn't catch on to it and surprises you with his own hook).

Even if the preemptive headmovement makes the hook slow as long as he doesn't punish you for it it means that he was to stop circling and has to work to avoid it.

Or if you are good at midrange and/or close range stop playing the distance/angle game with him go at him at a slight inside angle and fight him at close and midrange where he can't use his angles as easily and has to square up a bit.

Ilk likes this.
  8. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Southpaws should be put in death camps and have their gear confisticated

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    dempseeyy and ctrlaltdelete like this.
  9. shincheckin Green Belt

shincheckin
    if you know what to do against southpaws, its pretty fun ;)

4daLuLZ likes this.
  10. Rico Franklin

Rico
    Preposterous and blasphemous allegations that are unfounded in nature and downright rude imo.

11. aerius Brown Belt

aerius
    Someone got forcibly sodomized by a southpaw...

One of the members on this forum made a southpaw vs. orthodox video guide a while back
    It should give you some ideas on what to do

12. georgegreece Blue Belt

georgegreece
    The only way to defeat a southpaw is to become a southpaw.

13. Mik3ThaMartian Teh Black Jew

Mik3ThaMartian
    Hey hey.... I take offense to that... gimme a cookie

14. Silver tongue samurai Ronin

Silver tongue samurai
    ...a cookie...
    <FookIsThatGuy>

Mik3ThaMartian likes this.
  15. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    Naw its just an unnatural disease. Like jacking off with your left hand.

16. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    Are you sure this isn't your biggest problem? The SP-ness of your friend is probably a very distant second to your woes

jlagman likes this.
  17. DoctorTaco Breadhead

DoctorTaco
    We hate you too.

18. Ilk Blue Belt

Ilk
    Explain what can be done, please. I need ideas and I will try to work on them.

Thanks, that is a solid advice. I of course tried to over hand hook his jabs. It worked a couple of times to be honest. I cant remember well, but I think he timed me once when recovering from the hook and jabbed so I gave up on that. I will try to add slip before hook or parry the jab with rear hand and hook just like @UnderRatedGroundGame shows in the Roy Jones video.

I have trouble in past the moment he has won the angle. He has lined his rear on angle. What do I do next? You suggest side step to crosses, ducking hooks or backing. Which side do I side step? To my right I guess to avoid that cross?

I suck at mid and close range :(. I just havent got enough practice on that and any coach training, beside few combos I havent practised much.

19. UniqueSteez Be water my friend.

UniqueSteez
    Very insightful...good share.

20. Replay19 Orange Belt

Replay19
    I am a south paw guy... I love seeing orthodox people be confused when sparring with me. I love it when I see them try to figure me out, and then all of a sudden switching to southpaw midway. By then, I am even more comfortable sparring against me in the same lead. It's fun. Then they're like "Fuck this guy can fight me in both my stances" Hahahaha

Mik3ThaMartian likes this.