I got new 12oz gloves for MT sparring, am I a dick?

neil_totally

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I ordered the new Triumph United Tiger 1 gloves in 16oz for the gym, and as they were out of stock on 16's with no reup date in site I had them send me the 12's.

Now I'm concerned everyone at the gym will hate me, haha.

I'm 155, not particularly strong, most of my sparring partners are either bigger & more skilled than me, or just simply bigger & stronger.

I dug around a bit online and it looks like 12oz is definitely in the acceptable spectrum of sizes for sparring, but still.......

i see in the videos, muay thai gyms use 10oz to spar but they are very respectable towards their training partners because they do it everyday.
unlike in america, everyone is excepted to grab their 16oz and beat each other. we need to tone down our macho man mentality because i rather train smart.

How does the padding feel in the knuckle area? Do your knuckles rise to the top when you press the padding down like a puncher's glove? Are they dense? Or are they on the pillowy side of padding?

How does the padding feel in the knuckle area? Do your knuckles rise to the top when you press the padding down like a puncher's glove? Are they dense? Or are they on the pillowy side of padding?

They feel very full, if that makes sense. So yeah, dense is a good descriptor. My 16oz also felt very full and dense when I first got them too, though. They don't feel pillowy right now, but my 16oz don't feel particularly on the soft side either.

There is good padding all over, when pressing down I don't feel like I'm touching the knuckle directly. Even with a stronger push there feels like there is lots between the surface and the knuckle.

They feel very full, if that makes sense. So yeah, dense is a good descriptor. My 16oz also felt very full and dense when I first got them too, though. They don't feel pillowy right now, but my 16oz don't feel particularly on the soft side either.

There is good padding all over, when pressing down I don't feel like I'm touching the knuckle directly. Even with a stronger push there feels like there is lots between the surface and the knuckle.

Personally if it's lighter sparring, I wouldn't mind if you were using 12oz gloves but at the end of the day it's going to depend on what your coach/instructor says. I'd ask him/her if they're cool with you using that size.

Also, you should definitely give a review of the gloves after you've used them for a bit. Don't think I've seen one yet for that model.

Personally if it's lighter sparring, I wouldn't mind if you were using 12oz gloves but at the end of the day it's going to depend on what your coach/instructor says. I'd ask him/her if they're cool with you using that size.

Also, you should definitely give a review of the gloves after you've used them for a bit. Don't think I've seen one yet for that model.

I will and I will. I ALWAYS try and spar light, simply because I know I'm not a hard hitter anyway, so i focus on technique and combinations. I'll include my sparring partners feelings on them in my review. I'm stoked on them, there the first higher-price gloves I've bought and they feel great from a wearing point of view.

I will and I will. I ALWAYS try and spar light, simply because I know I'm not a hard hitter anyway, so i focus on technique and combinations. I'll include my sparring partners feelings on them in my review. I'm stoked on them, there the first higher-price gloves I've bought and they feel great from a wearing point of view.

That's awesome to hear man, look forward to seeing the review.

I used 10oz for ages but I was a lightweight sparring cruiserweights and heavyweights cause at the time we had no small guys at my gym. Now I use 14 or 16oz depending on my opponent and their skill level.

Man I can't wait for a review.

I would not be surprised if the Tiger1 are made at the Twins factory.

If this is the case, your 12 oz gloves have more padding then most 16 oz gloves. You will be fine.

What color scheme did you get ?

Man I can't wait for a review.

I would not be surprised if the Tiger1 are made at the Twins factory.

If this is the case, your 12 oz gloves have more padding then most 16 oz gloves. You will be fine.

What color scheme did you get ?

Got the green and purple "Joker" colorway, they are legit beautiful, haha.

did some bag rounds last night, and got some sparring/contact rounds planned for tonight. So will hopefully have a review up on Wednesday!

I can't comment on the place of manufacture or comparison to Twins, but these gloves are definitely VERY well padded for being 12oz

Depends if everyone has got them, great. But if you're the only one and lashing everyone with your hand speed keep it real and respect your training partner.

Back