I find compensating to be intriguing

Not one of his examples shows someone compensating, they are all excuses and explanations. But whatever boss, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
He probably means it falls under some form of bias or fallacy. I'm not an expert in this field so I couldn't say.

Not one of his examples shows someone compensating, they are all excuses and explanations. But whatever boss, I'm not going to lose sleep over it.
"For example, someone who lacks a social life may post a quote about God leading them to better things and not having certain people around to hinder them, as a way to compensate for their lack of friends."

=
Definition:
2: to offset an error, defect, or undesired effect // ex: this enthusiasm compensates for his lack of skill

It's just meaningless semantics over something completely trivial but I guess I'm not above this type of discourse

The short answer is that good mental health is characterized by a lot of positive illusions and self-serving biases and attributions that buttress self-esteem against the impact of failures. People make internal attributions for positive outcomes e.g. "I'm a good player," after a win at a football game and external attributions after failure e.g. "It was raining, it was distracting my play," after a loss. People also tend to overestimate the part of skill in their successes and underestimate how much is up to luck or outside their control. You may think it's a bad thing because the person's perception is distorted in a positive direction. But actually people who have high self-esteem, just by believing they're capable of doing something, adjust their behaviour accordingly and achieve higher performances. People who have low self-esteem, or have low self-esteem because of depression, tend to have more accurate interpretations of self-relevant information, but simultaneously have a hindered capacity to achieve what they want.

Back