I find compensating to be intriguing

UFCBlackbelt

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am absolutely fascinated by human psychology, one of the most interesting things to me is compensating.

The way a person proscribes a purpose for a negative part of their life, generally changing it to a positive.

For example, someone who lacks a social life may post a quote about God leading them to better things and not having certain people around to hinder them, as a way to compensate for their lack of friends.

We all know about physical compensations. We also see compensation in fighters, who argue "if I took XYZ more seriously, I would have won" - "I felt weird that night, it was not me".

It is, on the other hand, very rare to find people who accept situations with full responsibility. It's as if we feel a need to add purpose for failure. Why is it that we do not feel the same way about success? I can easily say "I did a great job" , I rare to have to say "I did a great job because in this specific instance this went well, but it could easily have not" - it's rare that I do.

my beuatiful face compensates for my awful personality, does that count?

This it's not a very good post, but neither is the thread.

Yeah, we have egos. Compensating is a tool to protect them.

We suck and we are all gonna rot Inconsequentially in the ground in the end anyway.

Is that what you expect people to fall back to dude? We have a finite window here and the psyche knows it intrinsically even if it's not acknowledged. It's all just an inate protective mechanism of a fragile being clinging to a tenuous existence and not that mysterious really

I find compensating to be an important part of the transaction. I work for a business. I don't do that work because I like it but because as compensation I am given a paycheck.

Compensating is important to me. It would be better if I was overcompensated.

I am absolutely fascinated by human psychology, one of the most interesting things to me is compensating.

The way a person proscribes a purpose for a negative part of their life, generally changing it to a positive.

For example, someone who lacks a social life may post a quote about God leading them to better things and not having certain people around to hinder them, as a way to compensate for their lack of friends.

We all know about physical compensations. We also see compensation in fighters, who argue "if I took XYZ more seriously, I would have won" - "I felt weird that night, it was not me".

It is, on the other hand, very rare to find people who accept situations with full responsibility. It's as if we feel a need to add purpose for failure. Why is it that we do not feel the same way about success? I can easily say "I did a great job" , I rare to have to say "I did a great job because in this specific instance this went well, but it could easily have not" - it's rare that I do.
how do you compensate for that face of yours?

I never understood why compensating has a pejorative connotation. Yeah, nobody is awesome at everything... it makes sense to play up your upsides rather than dwell on your deficits, from a psychological standpoint anyway.

Except for jacked manlets. They're just embarrassing themselves.

I wonder if TS found his own over-defensiveness to be intriguing in the Millennial criticism thread he started.

My enormous penis compensates for my massive bank account. Am I doing it right?

Fascinating? It's annoying how people can justify anything to make themselves feel better rather than take personal responsibility

Damn it, thought this was going to be about lifted trucks. Was totally gonna show off my lifted Bronco.

Sounds like ts is trying to be intriguing as a mechanism to compensate.

We really shouldn’t take credit for anything we do good or bad...you are who you are and that fact as far as we know had nothing to do with your choices...

Back