I find Alegeri's win over Provo pretty impressive

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Yeah I know I know, they both were bums or whatever people wanna say.

But credit to Algieri because after re watching the fight Ruslan dropped his ass hard twice (the first one Algieri went flying like a sack of shit), destroyed one of his eyes and generally fucked his shit up in the 1st. And STILL Algieri in the second round comes out bouncing on his feet, jabbing, moving, even doing a little dance after a combo. I can appreciate that. And this was when Provo had all the hype around him

Algieri then grinds it out and takes the decision and the title. Good for him. He should be proud of what he did there.

and snuck that Pacquiao lottery ticket away from Provo. Really earned his paydays by fighting through extreme adversity, had he lost to Provo he would have never fought pacman khan and spence.

I really like Chris Algieri, I like his style and the guy seems like a humble good dude. Not everyone was happy with that decision but I thought he did just nick it from Provodnikov. Then the Pacquiao and Khan paydays hopefully set him up for life. I think Algieri's mostly making money as a nutritionist helping other fighter's camps now?

People were pretty high on Provo at the time, and it wasn't without reason. In retrospect it's easy to dismiss him as a brawler (he lacked the volume and footwork to be thought of as a good pressure fighter) whose only qualities were decent punching power and insane durability, but he looked to be a pretty dangerous fighter after the Bradley and Alvarado fights. Algieri made up for a lack of skill and power with heart, excellent conditioning, and a consistent workrate.

The HBO crew were riding Provo's nuts hard in that fight. I think Kellerman even called it a robbery after Algieri was announced the winner.

I was like, "WTF was HBO watching, the first round on repeat."

The HBO crew were riding Provo's nuts hard in that fight. I think Kellerman even called it a robbery after Algieri was announced the winner.

I was like, "WTF was HBO watching, the first round on repeat."

They wanted Pac/Provo badly.

I had Algieri winning that one as well. Sure, his punches had zero behind hem but he landed regularly and Ruslan didn't. Algieri showed great and conditioning for sure. He earned that win, even if one could argue that it was Ruslan that lost it rather than Algieri winning it.

Gutsy performance for sure. I thought he came pretty close to beating Khan too.

Slow day in the boxing forum...

"How great was Algieri?"
I had a thread some years back that Algieri would be a UFC Champ if he wanted to.
All State wrestler, kickboxing and boxing champ.
All the tools to dominate a lesser sport.

and snuck that Pacquiao lottery ticket away from Provo. Really earned his paydays by fighting through extreme adversity, had he lost to Provo he would have never fought pacman khan and spence.
Algieri made $1.67m for Pacquiao, $500k for Khan, $325K for Spence.
$2.5m from those 3 fights.
His highest prior purse was $100k for the Provo fight.
It has to be wild to go from $100k, which is alot of money, to $1.67m for your next fight.

Back