I feel like judo guy look down on bjj guys | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Daddy af, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Daddy af Double Yellow Card

Daddy af
    yeah but thats in the same discipline.

going into judo I dont know shit about the rules or throws

2. PowerSource Judo and BJJ Black Belt

PowerSource
    3309 Vollmer rd, Flossmoor, IL. (708) 960-4913
    That will be a correct assumption until they get submitted. Some will admit they should consider cross train, some will say BJJ is judo. Once they find out you train BJJ some will try to avoid going to the ground like a plague. Some will go 100% competition mode and will try to pin you down for 5 min.

3. RJ Green Black Belt

RJ Green
    bro, just slap the fuckin mat. learn to throw good. don't rely on scootsies. if they wanna do newaza, push their shit in.

you know which art is better? both.

cross training = mac and cheese. peanut butter and jelly. bert and ernie.

judo and bjj are two wings of the same bird.

Franklegit likes this.
  4. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    It's been a mixed bag for me. I'm 35 and I'm usually traveling on business when I visit other gyms (which means I've been eating badly, working a lot, and am often at least slightly hung over from client dinners), so I don't need a huge level of aggression or to be put through the wringer. Which is hard with my 4 stripe brown belt, everyone wants a piece. I generally try to match intensity and make it clear I'm not looking to prove anything, but there's always a few guys who really want to bang. As long as they don't hurt me I can deal with it, though that hasn't always been the case.

What I was referring to was less about one time drop ins than new guys coming to your gym from somewhere else. I don't feel the need to test people just in town on business, but if someone is thinking about joining the gym and they have skills then I'll be the first one putting it on them.

I won't lie though, it is fun to go to smaller places and have the gym badass think they're going to roll through you and you get to disabuse them of that notion. All the lower belts expect you to beat them, but when you tap their top guy a few times that's what really blows their minds.

5. Was at Pride GP 2000 Brown Belt

Was at Pride GP 2000
    Everyone wants to defend their house. I've had some great conversation with Judo guys about pluses and minuses about both arts.

I think the key is be humble. Be open to learning something new. If you get dumped on your head. Bow, thank him/her and ask how to defend that throw and how to do it

Bluesbreaker and Daddy af like this.
  6. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

dmwalking
    I think all other grappling arts purists look down on BJJ for being soft. Every other grappling art is pretty rough.

7. winterbike Blue Belt

winterbike
    It has been hit or miss for me. Some judo guys have caught me like a bitch with cross chokes on the ground, while I've played with others as if they were kids with no grappling experience. It's always an interesting experience for sure.