I feel like judo guy look down on bjj guys

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Daddy af, Feb 12, 2018 at 4:29 PM.

1. Daddy af Double Yellow Card

Daddy af
    Ive trained bjj for 10 years and have gone to a few judo places here and there just to train for fun whenever i go and tell them Bout my bjj background, i get the vibe that they try to kick my ass to prove a point.

2. Cappy Goodtime White Belt

Cappy Goodtime
    We probably do the same thing to them. Important lesson--don't tell people crap they don't want to hear.

3. Rdude92 Blue Belt

Rdude92
    I'm a judo guy joining a bjj gym soon. I've decided, if they ask me "have you trained in any grappling arts before?".
    Ill answer "well I've rolld with my friend that did bjj 3 times before, does that count? "

4. lechien Gold Belt

lechien
    Try to kick your ass in what?

Just tell them that you want to improve your tachiwaza and then just do tachiwaza sparring. If they call you for newaza rounds so be it.

I mean you train bjj for ten years ...you should a BB by now.

5. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Dogstarman
    That would piss those guys off even more.

Daddy af likes this.
  6. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Meh.....I am a brown belt in BJJ. I have a brown belt in Judo. I wrestled for many years. There are white belts in any given sport that can kick my ass. We have a white belt that visits from time to time who is unranked but works out in an MMA gym. He catches me under judo rules. He catches me in BJJ. He is a good grappler. My ego will be fine.

Look at this board, it seems the older and more experienced the grappler the more most realize the rank is just a minor part of the journey. The fact is more young people have better mat skills than ever (in any of the three sports). Young people can be immature.

Franklegit, JinKazama and mataleaos like this.
  7. Rdude92 Blue Belt

Rdude92
    Why would that be? I'm not lying, unless if they ask me directly if I've trained judo before, then ill find no way to run.
    If I'm able to execute a perfect harai goshi on them, ill say I watched too much ufc and learnt that when khabib did it to RDA

8. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Why not just be honest? Take the beatings for a few weeks until you become one of "their team". Then they are proud to have an ass kicking white belt who can throw people across a room.

9. efficientjudo White Belt

efficientjudo
    People that are not open about their past experience are the worst. They make it awkward for the instructors and possibly even dangerous for other students, as many people will adjust their game and mindset to the perceived level of their opponents.

You may not be lying but you are being deceitful.

FatherSauce, Kaffe and mataleaos like this.
  10. Bluesbreaker Brown Belt

Bluesbreaker
    You can blame the Gracie family, and others, for going on about how BJJ is the best and everything else sucks balls.

Daddy af likes this.
  11. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Thats not just Gracies. Look no farther than the catch guys or the wrestlers, or the judoka who says BJJ is just judo. People are all this way.

mataleaos likes this.
  12. efficientjudo White Belt

efficientjudo
    There is definitely a BJJ = Basically Just Judo crowd in some Judo clubs, but I think most are happy to have people cross train - the people that receive most hate are the ones that swan in wanting to learn some throws without wanting to learn / appreciate the art of judo for what it is. If you're perceived as being a transient training partner, you'll never be made to feel as part of the club - and that equally true of some BJJ clubs.

Franklegit and Kaffe like this.
  13. karma2burn Orange Belt

karma2burn
    You aren't lying you're just being a dick. The upper belts will see through that shit in a minute and they'll make it their mission to smash you mercilessly. Enjoy your beatings.

mataleaos likes this.
  14. DatCutman White Belt

DatCutman
    They may suspect you of being the "BJJ Guy," by that I mean, the guy who comes in and tries to flying armbar-->guard work everybody instead of practicing his throws. There's also, I think, a natural puffing up of the chest that occurs whenever one grappling stylist comes into a school of a different style. But if you show you are earnest in learning their art, they treat you like a normal person.

I remember my first Judo class I was foot swept into hell in randori; but I kept trying the few throws I knew, and I didn't commit the bad-judo-karma of bending over at a 90 degree angle like BJJ standup, and they chilled out. Then they started wanting to ground roll with me after class, and it turned into a cross-grappling-discipline sharing experience that was fun.

tl;dr be honest and earnest in your desire to learn and it'll all work out.

15. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Dogstarman
    Your exact quote was, have you ever done any grappling arts before. People who come in and say they never have done anything then come in and wreck everyone piss people off. When I’m rolling with a brand new guy I’m expecting a certain feel. If you come in hard then things can go wrong.

16. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    Any time you have some skill in one art and go to a gym for a different one, some people will try to prove a point. This is even true if you're a good grappler going into striking sports, some folks just have a lot of ego about 'showing the strength of their gym/style' or whatever. Generally speaking all gyms operate on the same principle: someone coming in with skills is a good thing, but also somewhat of a challenge. So they put it on that guy. If that guy takes it without whining (whether he holds his own or not), then he's demonstrated he's part of the clan and now you can work with him like you would anyone else and learn from whatever other experience he's had. This is not an iron rule, but in my experience it holds pretty true in competitive fight gyms (rec gyms tend to hold guys who are high level in some other art in awe more so than see them as a challenge, though against that's just anecdotal).

Dogstarman, Franklegit, Balto and 2 others like this.
  17. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    I would advise not to do this. But do what you gotta do I guess.

The higher belts will know what's up either way.

I see almost no pros to just being upfront and honest and I see a good bit of cons.

18. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    The bolded is some good wisdom.

19. Balto Silver Belt

Balto
    Definitely true, and I think it's a good thing.

I totally do this with experienced guys coming in, and every other gym does it to me if I visit. It's part of the fun.

One time when I was a purple belt I visited a gym on vacation. At that time/place, purple was still considered a rare and high rank. I went early in the week, and they weren't totally sure how to react to me. I said I'd be back later that week.

When I came back at the time I said, I found like 20+ guys warming up and clearly waiting for me. It was a mix of white and blue.

Instead of doing class, the instructor had them roll with me all in a row continuously. No breaks, no specific time limit. We just went until a sub.

Somehow I managed to sub them all. I felt like Bruce Lee himself afterwards. Like I just beat a whole line of low level bad guys.

That's still one of my all time favorite memories in BJJ. It was just so fun.

Maybe I am crazy, but I like the challenge culture surrounding new guys with experience. Everyone ends up friends anyway. I went back to that same gym a few years later, and they treated me like family after that.

Rdude92, Daddy af and mataleaos like this.
  20. mataleaos Green Belt

mataleaos
    Awesome post right here. I finally had an experience like that the other month. I went to a gym on the west coast and ran through everyone. It's definitely the best jiu-jitsu I've ever expressed. I've been to gyms before and done okay. And I've been to gyms before and gotten stomped.

No matter if you're taking the lumps or handing them out, as long as you're polite and respectful I've found the same thing. You're generally treated like family and accepted into the group.

Franklegit likes this.