I feel like boxing has been reborn

IloveTHIS

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
As a medium-casual fan, I feel like boxing has really exploded in entertainment and quality of fighters in the past 2-3 years.
We have undefeated/gold medal winning/highly skilled fighters like:

Rigondeaux
Lomachenko
GGG(my favorite fighter)
Thurman
Andre Ward
Anthony Joshua
Crawford
+too many more to list. The talent pull is just insane right now..a lot of these guys have ATG potential IMO.

Huge fights like Conor vs Floyd, which yes was just a spectacle but still entertaining. And now we have GGG vs Canelo which is IMO the biggest fight that will be made in the next few years.

I've always been an MMA fan that would just tune in for the big fights or rewatch old historic/entertaining fights online but I find myself becoming a full time fan. Could not be more hyped for this weekend.

Outside of Top Rank and Golden Boy, all the promotions have stepped their game and really put on the pressure.

I thank PBC for getting the ball rolling, although PBC has largely descended into putting up crap cards no one cares about recently. But that Superfly card, damn that was awesome. Hopefully Teiken and K2 keep it up.

As a result 2017 has been a great year in boxing so far. If it's really a trend then 2018 will confirm it.

But...but...but
Dana told me its dying and he never ever lies!

Some day people will actually be able to mimic the Nietzsche vs God joke :

"Boxing is dead." Dana White
"Dana is dead." Boxing

Last edited:
Be honest, if you're a semi casual fan and golovkin is your favorite fighter, how many of his fights have you seen?

2016 was a huge slump. But 2017 has been amazing. Great fights every month. The best fighting the best. How boxing should be. The emergence of new talent certainly helps too.

Be honest, if you're a semi casual fan and golovkin is your favorite fighter, how many of his fights have you seen?
Idk, probably his last 6 or so in full and I've watched a lot of highlights/clips from his older fights. Hes my favorite fighter just as much for his personality as his skill.

I dunno....
Back in 1997 Jeff Blatnick said it was dying.

martine_dugrenier_2012_e_1340px.jpg

Idk, probably his last 6 or so in full and I've watched a lot of highlights/clips from his older fights. Hes my favorite fighter just as much for his personality as his skill.
It was just curiousity, he flew under the radar for so long that people aren't seeing him in his theoretical prime.

As a medium-casual fan, I feel like boxing has really exploded in entertainment and quality of fighters in the past 2-3 years.

Rigondeaux
Lomachenko
GGG(my favorite fighter)
Thurman
Andre Ward
Anthony Joshua
Crawford
+too many more to list. The talent pull is just insane right now..a lot of these guys have ATG potential IMO.

Huge fights like Conor vs Floyd, which yes was just a spectacle but still entertaining. And now we have GGG vs Canelo which is IMO the biggest fight that will be made in the next few years.

I've always been an MMA fan that would just tune in for the big fights or rewatch old historic/entertaining fights online but I find myself becoming a full time fan. Could not be more hyped for this weekend.
Should've watched HBO boxing last week on the "superfly" fight card :) rungvisai vs chocolatito 2, naoya inoue vs Antonio Nieves, and Estrada vs cuadras.

Rigondeaux
Lomachenko
GGG(my favorite fighter)
Thurman
Andre Ward
Anthony Joshua
Crawford

everyone you named is almost 30 aside from Rigo who is almost 40 and Ward who is mid 30's. They didnt just sprout up recently as part of some boxing "resurgance", and the old guard they are replacing were just as exciting.

Rigondeaux
Lomachenko
GGG(my favorite fighter)
Thurman
Andre Ward
Anthony Joshua
Crawford

Hmm, so you're saying:
Mayweather Jr, Pacquiao, Cotto, Mosley, De la Hoya, Marquez, Margarito, Bradley, Dawson, Klitchko, Diaz, Hopkins, Khan, Juan Manuel Lopez, Donaire,Pavlik, Sexy Martinez, Kessler, Froch and Gamboa and the rest of the 2000- 2010s boxers were killing the sport and not as talented?
By the way its talent POOL...

Hmm, so you're saying:
Mayweather Jr, Pacquiao, Cotto, Mosley, De la Hoya, Marquez, Margarito, Bradley, Dawson, Klitchko, Diaz, Hopkins, Khan, Juan Manuel Lopez, Donaire,Pavlik, Sexy Martinez, Kessler, Froch and Gamboa and the rest of the 2000- 2010s boxers were killing the sport and not as talented?
It's a pool of sexy fighters.

If he is ignoring all the fights that have taken place and done a yahoo sports search then maybe he's onto something.

He isn't.

Hmm, so you're saying:

I think the big difference is accessibility. It took a lot more effort a decade and a half ago to follow boxing carefully. It wasn't easy to see when stuff would be on or what channel you were supposed to watch. And if you missed a fight you were pretty much screwed. I remember way back in the day having to convince a friend to record Tuesday Night Fights for me on VHS because I worked that shift every week and hated missing it. Wednesday morning me and a couple friends who loved boxing would BBQ and watch the tape with a couple beers.

These days it's stupid easy to know when every fight is on any channel. All the big fights are On Demand right after they happen. Even ppv fights get a "free" replay a week later. Most older fights get youtubed in varying degrees of quality. You can pick a favorite fighter go online and watch most of his career in one weekend.

So for casual fans it really is a "boxing explosion" but for the rest of us things haven't changed all that much.

I wonder if youtube played a big role. I see a lot of videos of Lomachenko being "this boxer from the matrix?!" or some shit pop up in my feed all the time. That kind of stuff will get interest from the casuals. A lot of highlights of old school fighters too.

I wonder if youtube played a big role. I see a lot of videos of Lomachenko being "this boxer from the matrix?!" or some shit pop up in my feed all the time. That kind of stuff will get interest from the casuals. A lot of highlights of old school fighters too.

Rogan got really high one day and talked about how Lomachenko was probably the best boxer of all time. So that probably helped him out a tad as Rogan does have a substantial audience, as sad as that may be.

Back