I feel for fighters who get sick right before their fight

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
I felt perfect yesterday. I went to the gym last night and all was normal. As I got into bed, I sneezed and kinda felt like I may be in the preliminary stages of a cold.

This morning, I felt like I got hit by a bus. I have a fever, my throat hurts, my entire body aches. Literally, the bones in my hands even ache. Walking is difficult. At most, I'm 30% of my normal self.

There is a 0% chance I could work out in this condition and perform decent lifts. If I had to fight another human being tomorrow, I would be fucksville. Imagine being a fighter where you fight someone who is presumably close to your level. Every inch counts, you can tough it out all you want, but if the person you're fighting is of a similar skill set to you, they will devour you in such a weakened state.

I don't. How dare they ruin my entertainment by pulling out at the last minute! :mad:

But these guys train UFC... Plus. It is their job and the check pays the bills...

After you finish with the gym its always a good idea to wash your hands..

I felt perfect yesterday. I went to the gym last night and all was normal. As I got into bed, I sneezed and kinda felt like I may be in the preliminary stages of a cold.

This morning, I felt like I got hit by a bus. I have a fever, my throat hurts, my entire body aches. Literally, the bones in my hands even ache. Walking is difficult. At most, I'm 30% of my normal self.

There is a 0% chance I could work out in this condition and perform decent lifts. If I had to fight another human being tomorrow, I would be fucksville. Imagine being a fighter where you fight someone who is presumably close to your level. Every inch counts, you can tough it out all you want, but if the person you're fighting is of a similar skill set to you, they will devour you in such a weakened state.

A common cold has knocked you out stiff. You should be ashamed.

But these guys train UFC... Plus. It is their job and the check pays the bills...
I'm saying in the context that sometimes a guy/girl will lose and people around them, sometimes even Dana, will say something like:

"They fought sick as a dog, they woke up sick, they didn't want to pull out of the fight."

I know sometimes thats just an excuse. But god damn. If its true, especially to this level, it's a complete game changer. But if tomorrow, Edwards lost to Cowboy and said he was sick as a dog or vice versa, very few people would sympathize with that variable. God forbid when someone pulls out, it could be anyone and people like to say they're scared or shook

This is great insight, nobody on Sherdog has ever been sick before so thanks for shedding some light on what it must be like for fighters!

I've lifted heavy while having the flu (sort of dumb because of others).

Don't know how you could fight with it though, didn't aldo fight hominick with the flu?

The worst part for UFC fighters who have to pull out due to their body fucking up just has to be all the "ducking" comments on Sherdog Forums.

Common cold isn’t that bad you must have had a 24-48 hour virus or something I’ve had that and when you are puking every hour that does mess you up. But common cold is better to just sweat it off

I feel your pain. Had a sinus infection impact my workouts this past week though I think I’m on the downhill side of it now. Couldn’t imagine having to fight someone in that shape, even if I had skills. Would be a nightmare.

What about Marco Ruas who preferred to hide a fractured hand to the UFC, b4 entering the tournament...

I also feel bad for fighters who head into fights with knee and/or foot injuries. I occasionally get tendinitis in my right Achilles heel, and it hurts like shit with every step. Adrenaline will sometimes numb the pain but it’s not morphine.

It would def suck, but it's one of those things that hopefully balances out among fighters over time - I think fighters should get more lea way for bad performances here and there

I guarantee you if they let a Lion loose next to you, your ass would find the energy to run like Forrest Gump.
Way to cut the last part of the sentence you should be a journalist lol

Worse than the strength effects (which are bad enough) your heart rate sky rockets. Fitbit Alta clocks my resting heart rate as low 50s (51 etc), when I had a cold recently it shot up to 65! Doing literally anything becomes that much harder with a cold.

Back