I don't understand, why didn't Lim check those leg kicks?

I think it's baffling that more fighters don't check leg kicks. Lim is far from the best example.

when you boxed, if you broke your hand on someones elbow, would you consider that similar to punching someone in the head and cracking their jaw?

no.

You are once again confusing 'anything can happen in a fight', situations, with 'rare occurrences which are expected but not common outcomes'.

We EXPECT no hitters in baseball and the pitcher gets full credit even though they are extremely rare occurrences percentage wise. We absolutely expect that some have occurred in the past and we absolutely expect more to happen in the future.

Same goes for orbital and cheek bone breaks and leg check breaks. Everyone expects some happened in the past and we all absolutely EXPECT more in the future. they are a normal outcome that is produced via the intent to damage an opponent. They are simply not the COMMON outcome and thus we expect long periods of time between incidents.

You seem to not be able to comprehend the above and continue to make specious and wrong comparisons and I suspect you will continue to.

Anderson did not break his leg because he threw with poor technique. He most likely already had micro fractures in the shin, and happened to connect with the lower part of his shin on weidmans upper.

Throwing text-book technique doesn't prevent that connection. The way your opponent checks does. They can flukily get it right or wrong. There are so many factors. Height and depth of your kick determine which parts of the shin collide.

this right here
but the more you train the more is the ideal check less luck and more skill

well I am glad to see you have come around to my point and the arguments we had in the past won't happen any more.

Yes 'rare' and 'full credit' to Weidman should go hand in hand as I have always said.

'Rare' is within the expected range of outcomes we expect, and some seem to think because it is not 'common' it is fluky and lucky and that is wrong.

Good for you, for taking in the information and allowing your opinion to change.

I never actually changed my stance. I never said he didn't deserve credit.
I didn't say "full credit" however, because that would be a bit disingenuous. There is a substantial element of chance to this occurrence, which is precisely why it is rare/lucky. It is you who are defining "fluke" as something which is not in the expected range of outcomes, and/or something that isn't skill related.
I would agree it was more expected/probable than, for instance, a meteorite landing on Silva.

after 20+ years of muay thai, anderson silva doesn't throw leg kicks with proper technique now.

I knwo you're being coy but,
It's not that he can't,it's just that he didn't.He didn't turn his hips into it and towards Weidman like he should have cause he wanted to keep more space between them.

Also people think what Weidman did is so easy to emulate.

Wrecking someone's leg like Weidman did to Silva could very well happen more frequently if the leg kicks are checked every time and with precision(shin on knee).

Thing is that requires great timing and in an mma fight when your'e trying to dodge punches and avoid the TD it's really hard to do.

I never actually changed my stance. I never said he didn't deserve credit.
I didn't say "full credit" however, because that would be a bit disingenuous. There is a substantial element of chance to this occurrence, which is precisely why it is rare/lucky. It is you who are defining "fluke" as something which is not in the expected range of outcomes, and/or something that isn't skill related.
I would agree it was more expected/probable than, for instance, a meteorite landing on Silva.

there is a substantial element of chance to almost anything in sport if you really look.

Every home run ever hit has a substantial element of chance. what if the pitcher put that ball into the dirt. The hitter has no power over that. However the hitter can train and do every thing he needs to and when the opportunity presents itself and his training kicks in he will get the dinger. the ball is a little higher or lower and maybe its just a single or pop fly.

Just as Weidman can only do what he did. He trained and he executed such that all the elements in his control came together to do damage, which is exactly what he did. he executed properly and when that came together with what Anderson did, Chris deserves 'full credit'.

Also people think what Weidman did is so easy to emulate.

Wrecking someone's leg like Weidman did to Silva could very well happen more frequently if the leg kicks are checked every time and with precision(shin on knee).

Thing is that requires great timing and in an mma fight when your'e trying to dodge punches and avoid the TD it's really hard to do.

nothing special in what he did.

You guys haven't seen Rampage fight against kickers? Ha!

there is a substantial element of chance to almost anything in sport if you really look.

Every home run ever hit has a substantial element of chance. what if the pitcher put that ball into the dirt. The hitter has no power over that. However the hitter can train and do every thing he needs to and when the opportunity presents itself and his training kicks in he will get the dinger. the ball is a little higher or lower and maybe its just a single or pop fly.

Just as Weidman can only do what he did. He trained and he executed such that all the elements in his control came together to do damage, which is exactly what he did. he executed properly and when that came together with what Anderson did, Chris deserves 'full credit'.

Now we are just arguing over semantics, since you pretty much agree with everything I said, and you just choose to call it something different.
How I see it, is that I would give him full credit for the check, some credit for hurting Andersons leg, and very little credit for actually causing the break, since there is a steeply decreasing chance for each outcome.
Let's leave it at that.

no.

You are once again confusing 'anything can happen in a fight', situations, with 'rare occurrences which are expected but not common outcomes'.

We EXPECT no hitters in baseball and the pitcher gets full credit even though they are extremely rare occurrences percentage wise. We absolutely expect that some have occurred in the past and we absolutely expect more to happen in the future.

Same goes for orbital and cheek bone breaks and leg check breaks. Everyone expects some happened in the past and we all absolutely EXPECT more in the future. they are a normal outcome that is produced via the intent to damage an opponent. They are simply not the COMMON outcome and thus we expect long periods of time between incidents.

You seem to not be able to comprehend the above and continue to make specious and wrong comparisons and I suspect you will continue to.

so how do blocked punches with hard elbows not fall in a similar category?

I knwo you're being coy but,
It's not that he can't,it's just that he didn't.He didn't turn his hips into it and towards Weidman like he should have cause he wanted to keep more space between them.

he did turn his hips into the kick. how would a sharper hip turn have changed the outcome or put the odds more in silva's favor to not result in a break? again, some are calling it a full power kick and concluding that's why it broke, whereas others are saying he didn't turn his hips into it enough and that's why it broke.

he didn't fully push through with his hips, i agree. and agree he was conscious of spacing.

Lim is only programmed to throw wild haymayers and knees. Checking kicks is not in his arsenal.

People think perfectly checking is some type of easy task now...
Lim should have trained all camp for that, seeing the marquardt fight though. Probably trained to catch them or counter with a right hand instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back