I don't understand, why didn't Lim check those leg kicks?

That probably takes away some of the power also, right?
Not that it matters if it also makes the kick a lot safer.
I'm also guessing if you turn over your hip more, it's easier to keep your leg bent. Seems awkward otherwise.
You would think, but since I started training with my current coach, my roundhouses have become MUCH more powerful.

the main difference i see here is just in this video he's stepping into the strike more and is less upright. (again, some people say the reason silva hurt himself is because he threw with too much power!)

the kick in the video still has a small risk that it would get checked the wrong way and result in injury.

i'm aware of the mechanics of a muay thai low kick. i do believe the threat of the takedown does effect the way silva is throwing his kicks. but i also don't believe it's bad. the result can be bad without there being a major flaw.
Any low roundhouse has the chance to cause injury if it's checked properly. It's just that Anderson's style of kick just has a higher one. I likened it to Fedor's looping punches, which were ugly from a technical standpoint, but he managed to get away with throwing them for years.

And I agree, the fact that he threw the kick hard as shit is also a contributing factor.

btw, I don't know who knows what on these boards, so I treat everyone the same.

People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

Hahaha exactly! Hundreds of kicks are checked every single lumpinee, glory, k1 etc event, no idea how this is a new concept to some people

You would think, but since I started training with my current coach, my roundhouses have become MUCH more powerful.

Any low roundhouse has the chance to cause injury if it's checked properly. It's just that Anderson's style of kick just has a higher one. I likened it to Fedor's looping punches, which were ugly from a technical standpoint, but he managed to get away with throwing them for years.

And I agree, the fact that he threw the kick hard as shit is also a contributing factor.

btw, I don't know who knows what on these boards, so I treat everyone the same.

he threw a hard low kick, but he didn't throw it full power with a full step in. again, his leg is bent on contact when it shatters. i honestly don't see technique being that much of a contributing factor on that specific kick.

and no offense taken.

He didnt want to break tarec's shin duh. He just wants to brawl.

he threw a hard low kick, but he didn't throw it full power with a full step in. again, his leg is bent on contact when it shatters. i honestly don't see technique being that much of a contributing factor on that specific kick.

and no offense taken.

Even without the full power step, Anderson was still in the process of extending his leg at the point of contact, which is, IMO, the major contributing factor in the injury.

His leg might have been bent at when he was making contact, but that doesn't mean he was trying to throw it that way. You can clearly see him still fully extending his lower leg after the fracture, before his brain registered the injury.

[YT]PSymc9qGNB8[/YT]

...or straight punches, or hooks, or uppercuts...

Exactly.

You're talking about the best Thai boxers fighting the best Thai boxers.

These are MMAtists who have their training time split in multiple disciplines.

My MT coach specifically taught us NOT to do that, as you could break your forearm... which is exactly what happened to one of my training partners, a few weeks later, who learned that from another kickboxing trainer, and still didn't listen.

If you're going to "check" a body roundhouse, bring the elbow and arm tight against the body, and lean into the kick.

yup.

But some guys do check like that and we end up with the very rare forearm break. Didn't Randy Couture break his arm that way against Gabe?

Guys like flanellograf and kflo would try and say the guy throwing the kick should not get credit if the breaks the guys arm because it is a rare injury when guys defend properly. But if you throw the kick intending to do harm but not planning to break the arm, you get full credit for any damage your kick does, even if it was not what you specifically planned.

Actually, he's right in a sense.

Anderson likes to throw his roundhouses straight legged. I noticed that during the fight and my MT trainer confirmed that that was the main reason his leg was broken. If he threw round kicks with the knee slightly bent, that likely wouldn't have happened.

Despite what he said in the post fight presser, Weidman wasn't doing anything much different from the average Thai boxer.

Yup. And 99 times out of a 100 you can get away with that in MMA as the technique of the guys blocking is not the best.

Weidman got the training and implemented it and on that night it all came together for him. Full credit to Weidman for that.

Even without the full power step, Anderson was still in the process of extending his leg at the point of contact, which is, IMO, the major contributing factor in the injury.

His leg might have been bent at when he was making contact, but that doesn't mean he was trying to throw it that way. You can clearly see him still fully extending his lower leg after the fracture, before his brain registered the injury.

[YT]PSymc9qGNB8[/YT]

of course he was continuing to extend his leg at the point of contact. he has to. but it was bent when it shattered, and never was straight during contact. i don't see how that can be why it shattered then.

Yup. And 99 times out of a 100 you can get away with that in MMA as the technique of the guys blocking is not the best.

Weidman got the training and implemented it and on that night it all came together for him. Full credit to Weidman for that.

you honestly think it was just that weidman mastered the technique of the check.

most fighters throw kicks with the knowledge that some will likely get checked. they don't expect to have a catastrophic injury as a result. people are acting as if a low leg kick is now a major high risk strike.

False.

most are saying, like with any technique, you put yourself at greater risk of the rare injury of a break if you do not do it correctly.

You are the only one who seems to need to treat this like all or none.

This type of break is expected to occur RARELY and will continue to happen RARELY when fighters train to check kicks properly and the kicks are not throw with the best technique.

Is normal.

is expected.

To be fair, he hasn't really shown an ability to aptly check leg kicks previously. Not that I can remember anyway, and Anderson had success in the last fight. Even though he should have expected Weidman to improve in that regard. Ah, well.

True, I think its just a case of Weidman and his camp turning a weakness into an advantage, Silva thought the lowkicks were an easy way to land some offence and didn't set them up well.

I don't think Anderson's technical weakness throwing lowkicks is really that supprizing, he's called a "Muay Thai" fighter but really his style is even more dissimilar from your standard Thai boxer than guys like Shogun. He's always been a lot more focused on boxing and landing big counter knees than he has lowkicks.

tarec set up his combos and demonstrated proper technique. And Lim has shit skills

of course he was continuing to extend his leg at the point of contact. he has to. but it was bent when it shattered, and never was straight during contact. i don't see how that can be why it shattered then.

Simple physics.

Even though his leg was bent at the point of contact, he was still in the process of extending it, thus even more force was being exerted and applied, creating both a good fulcrum and pushing it at both ends of the fulcrum.

If his leg was bent at the point of contact, with no intentions of extending the leg at all, he still keeps the power, the fulcrum is being applied at an angle, and the force is only being exerted at one end.

Hoost landed leg kicks on elite kickboxers regularly it isn't as easy as just to block it seriously what do you think that they haven't trained how to check kicks up to Weidman-Silva II?

No, at least not in that fight he wasn't. I assume it's because if he were to throw them the 'correct' way, he would've left himself more open for the takedown.

And he wanted to throw them with every ounce of strength he had.

you honestly think it was just that weidman mastered the technique of the check.

You have the argumentation skill of a child wherever is all or none.

No one has to 'master' a technique to use train to use a technique and gain credit if successful.

Weidman trained to try and hurt Anderson with a leg check. he did just that.

But you are off balance and not throwing your own offence and very suceptible to a takedown.

He was talking about checking and being open for the ko.But really did Lim have to worry about Saffiedines takdowns?His lowkicks i think.

That could also be attributable to better technique/power allround. ;)

Well, if I'd venture a guess. if you look at the anatomy of how a bent leg kick has to be thrown, the power vector will be closer to the knee and thus the lower leg continues forward while the lower leg bounces off. I think that also requires you not to lock down your hips (which he probably does to not risk a takedown), but follow through with the kick. Or something to that effect.

Back