I don't understand, why didn't Lim check those leg kicks?

Repeating yourself is not clarifying. What exactly is this secret "proper" technique?

Actually, he's right in a sense.

Anderson likes to throw his roundhouses straight legged. I noticed that during the fight and my MT trainer confirmed that that was the main reason his leg was broken. If he threw round kicks with the knee slightly bent, that likely wouldn't have happened.

Despite what he said in the post fight presser, Weidman wasn't doing anything much different from the average Thai boxer.

Anderson likes to throw his roundhouses straight legged. I noticed that during the fight and my MT trainer confirmed that that was the main reason his leg was broken. If he threw round kicks with the knee slightly bent, that likely wouldn't have happened.

Despite what he said in the post fight presser, Weidman wasn't doing anything much different from the average Thai boxer.

it looks like his leg is bent as he makes contact.

Ah, ok.
He also didn't throw it at an opportune time (i.e. when Weidman had his weight on it, walking forward or whatever).

But he was from the average MMA fighter, especially the ones Anderson has fought who have been able to get him throwing those frustration lowkicks(Maia and Leites spring to mind).

lol @ the youtubejitsu thread

But he was from the average MMA fighter, especially the ones Anderson has fought who have been able to get him throwing those frustration lowkicks(Maia and Leites spring to mind).

To be fair, he hasn't really shown an ability to aptly check leg kicks previously. Not that I can remember anyway, and Anderson had success in the last fight. Even though he should have expected Weidman to improve in that regard. Ah, well.

it looks like his leg is bent as he makes contact.

Yeah, but he was still in process of extending his lower leg past the point of contact, creating a perfect fulcrum, which is the reason for the fracture.

When I say "throw with the knee slightly bent" I mean keeping the leg bent the entire time the foot leaves the ground, and use the hips to generate the power of the kick.

[YT]XeuwvcqGv00[/YT]

@0:45

To be fair, he hasn't really shown an ability to aptly check leg kicks previously. Not that I can remember anyway, and Anderson had success in the last fight. Even though he should have expected Weidman to improve in that regard. Ah, well.

most fighters throw kicks with the knowledge that some will likely get checked. they don't expect to have a catastrophic injury as a result. people are acting as if a low leg kick is now a major high risk strike.

most fighters throw kicks with the knowledge that some will likely get checked. they don't expect to have a catastrophic injury as a result. people are acting as if a low leg kick is now a major high risk strike.

Sure, but the point is that in mma, setups are mostly non-existent and leg kicks not thrown at the best time probably because they are checked very rarely. Although the same logic applies there. So nevermind. ;)

i know you're being sarcastic but tarec is a sniper with those kicks and lim is a brawler with poor technique and big power.... result wasnt that surprising

He didn't want to break Tarec's leg

Weidman gameplans are his main strength, he always adapt to his next fight, his trainers are pretty damn good.
His all around skill set is probably limited yet because of his lack of experience(outside of wrestling/grappling) but he probably drills a lot techniques he/his team believes will be useful in the next fight.
Leg kick checks, doubling up his punches, elbow counter to Munoz rushes...
Not trying to sound like a armchair coach but some fighters despite having good skillsets seem to completely overlook their opponents when preparing for their fights, yes simply training armbar defense won't guarantee a victory against Rousey but it certainly helps(as it did for Miesha, lasting much longer this time) or Fedor training for Cro cop kicks and outkicking him.
Lim PROBABLY COULD have trained better to defend these kicks, may he did but when fighting things are much harder I know, but I think he didn't train specifically for it.

Yeah, but he was still in process of extending his lower leg past the point of contact, creating a perfect fulcrum, which is the reason for the fracture.

When I say "throw with the knee slightly bent" I mean keeping the leg bent the entire time the foot leaves the ground, and use the hips to generate the power of the kick.

[YT]XeuwvcqGv00[/YT]

That probably takes away some of the power also, right?
Not that it matters if it also makes the kick a lot safer.
I'm also guessing if you turn over your hip more, it's easier to keep your leg bent. Seems awkward otherwise.

Yeah, but he was still in process of extending his leg past the point of contact, creating a perfect fulcrum.

[YT]XeuwvcqGv00[/YT]

the main difference i see here is just in this video he's stepping into the strike more and is less upright. (again, some people say the reason silva hurt himself is because he threw with too much power!)

the kick in the video still has a small risk that it would get checked the wrong way and result in injury.

i'm aware of the mechanics of a muay thai low kick. i do believe the threat of the takedown does effect the way silva is throwing his kicks. but i also don't believe it's bad. the result can be bad without there being a major flaw.

Weidman gameplans are his main strength, he always adapt to his next fight, his trainers are pretty damn good.
His all around skill set is probably limited yet because of his lack of experience(outside of wrestling/grappling) but he probably drills a lot techniques he/his team believes will be useful in the next fight.
Not trying to sound like a armchair coach but some fighters despite having good skillsets seem to completely overlook their opponents when preparing for their fights, yes simply training armbar defense won't guarantee a victory against Rousey but it certainly helps(as it did for Miesha, lasting much longer this time) or Fedor training for Cro cop kicks and outkicking him.
Lim PROBABLY COULD have trained better to defend these kicks, may he did but when fighting things are much harder I know, but I think he didn't train specifically for it.

Well, Weidman probably is a pretty good study too.
Lim doesn't seem to be the kind of fighter that can stick to a game plan. Looks more like he wants to get in there and slug it out, to the detriment of everything else.

Sure, but the point is that in mma, setups are mostly non-existent and leg kicks not thrown at the best time probably because they are checked very rarely. Although the same logic applies there. So nevermind. ;)

again, watch a top muay thai fighter and you'll see not every kick has to be set up. some kicks are thrown to set tempo, set patterns, etc. weidman himself is throwing kicks with no setup. the primary risk is the counter, not catastrophic injury. the kick itself was a relatively low risk strike.

you honestly don't think he trained for this fight to deal with leg kicks?

People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

Next breakthrough innovation on Sherdog is, 'X fighter dodged a punch, why do not other fighters dodge all punches'?

Back