I don't understand, why didn't Lim check those leg kicks?

Even the top guys in K-1 still eat a lot of leg kicks and miss checks and even get finished with leg kicks.

And Lim WAS defending the kicks. He DID check a lot of them.

Just Tarec hid a lot of his kicks behind setups and as counters.

Tarec landed like 4 out of 15 leg kicks in the first round alone. Lim avoided almost all and countered 2 of them.

In the 3rd and 4th rounds, Lim got Tarec to stop unloading leg kicks by continually lifting his left leg high, causing Tarec to switch to strikes/clinches.

Let's be real Lim didn't do one proper check and by a proper check i mean when you turn your knee into the shin.

Let's be real Lim didn't do one proper check and by a proper check i mean when you turn your knee into the shin.
...who the fuck would turn the knee into the shin? Shin vs Knee = Knee loses. It was a check to the upper part of the shin, which is one of the hardest bones in your body. Knee vs Shin = broken fucking patella. Getting kicked in the knee sucks -hard-.

...who the fuck would turn the knee into the shin? Shin vs Knee = Knee loses. It was a check to the upper part of the shin, which is one of the hardest bones in your body. Knee vs Shin = broken fucking patella. Getting kicked in the knee sucks -hard-.

dude, he read in a blog that knee blocks lead to shin destruction.

People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

It is

But it so hard to train checking leg kick, you probably need full 3 moth mt training in thai and thats would let other part of the game remain unimprove.

Yes smarty pants, but in order to do that you must turn your knee in the direction of the shin. That's why you say it's a check where the knee is turned towards the shin. You don't really check with your knee genius.

If i knew i was going in against a leg kicker the first thing on my mind at the beginning would be to look for the leg kicks and check them properly.

ehhh I think in this case the kickboxing level between the two are quite significant, especially in the category of kicks. Putting a lot of effort in a 1 month camp to prepare for someone's expertise is not very effective. For example, if Lim is gonna fight Shield or Maia, he should train for his timing on TDD and how to apply damages in the clinch instead of drilling sweeps or submission escapes.

Checking kicks seem like just lifting your leg, but it's actually as hard as landing a kick because you have to time it right, and if you fail to check one you get punished by something else like foot sweeps, rear leg kick, body kick, cross to the face, and the worst, being taken down (since you only have 1 foot on the ground). Too much of a risk for something not resulting a fight-ending consequence, but it's also this kind of thought that makes leg kicks effective in the fights: they accumulate quickly than you expect.

Easier said than done.

I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to check leg kicks, unless your opponent is telegraphing them like crazy.

Add to the fact that they only work for low roundhouses...
People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

Boom.

Remember when Anderson KOed Vitor? All of Sherdog was in an uproar "WHAT WAS THAT KICK!?!?!??!".... it's a goddamn front kick, doods.

Tarec actually throws leg kicks with proper technique, so it wouldn't have had the same horrible effect as Anderson's, anyway.

Does he kick without setup? Yes, often.
Does he kick without turning his hip over? Yes, often.
Does he kick hard? Yes, often.

What exactly were you saying?

If i knew i was going in against a leg kicker the first thing on my mind at the beginning would be to look for the leg kicks and check them properly.

When you "look" for leg kicks ...you eat face kicks.

Easier said than done.

I don't think people realize just how difficult it is to check leg kicks, unless your opponent is telegraphing them like crazy.

Boom.

Remember when Anderson KOed Vitor? All of Sherdog was in an uproar "WHAT WAS THAT KICK!?!?!??!".... it's a goddamn front kick, doods.

but it's also not unusual for even the best muay thai fighters to get checked.......against other top muay thai fighters.

Easier said than done.

Boom.

Well, you can elbow-check body kicks. It's difficult, and it won't break a shin, but it can be uncomfortable for the kicker.

Does he kick without setup? Yes, often.
Does he kick without turning his hip over? Yes, often.
Does he kick hard? Yes, often.

What exactly were you saying?

That Anderson doesn't kick with 'proper' technique and that Tarec does.

Checking leg kicks is a most cruel thing; it should be illegal (ahem).

but it's also not unusual for even the best muay thai fighters to get checked.......against other top muay thai fighters.

but they also focus most of their time on kicking and don't have wrestling etc to improve and worry about.

When you "look" for leg kicks ...you eat face kicks.
...or straight punches, or hooks, or uppercuts...

Exactly.

You're talking about the best Thai boxers fighting the best Thai boxers.

These are MMAtists who have their training time split in multiple disciplines.

Well, you can elbow-check body kicks. It's difficult, and it won't break a shin, but it can be uncomfortable for the kicker.

My MT coach specifically taught us NOT to do that, as you could break your forearm... which is exactly what happened to one of my training partners, a few weeks later, who learned that from another kickboxing trainer, and still didn't listen.

If you're going to "check" a body roundhouse, bring the elbow and arm tight against the body, and lean into the kick.

but they also focus most of their time on kicking and don't have wrestling etc to improve and worry about.

point is getting checked is something they expect and deal with all the time.

Back