I don't understand, why didn't Lim check those leg kicks?

If i knew i was going in against a leg kicker the first thing on my mind at the beginning would be to look for the leg kicks and check them properly.

And then you'd get knocked out after being feinted.

Don't forget the other guy's throwing punches to KO you too.

And then you start watching for his punches and he kicks you in the leg.

You don't have to lower your hands when lifting your leg to check

And then you'd get knocked out after being feinted.

Don't forget the other guy's throwing punches to KO you too.

And then you start watching for his punches and he kicks you in the leg.

Yeah i'm not gonna ignore the punches of course (although Tarec isn't very well known for his KO power), just concentrate on defending the leg kick, actually even try to bait him into leg kicking me and then check it.

MMA striking still has room to grow. MMA is still evolving. Eventually people will become more well rounded. I often wonder why MMA fighters don't use what one would think is a basic defensive techniques. I also wondered why guys don't throw a lot more kicks until I started kickboxing and realized how much gas they use. I also wondered why you don't see as many combinations as you do in boxing and then realized 4oz gloves really make a difference. MMA is such a unique sport with all the different techniques, stuff that works in TMA may not work as good in a mma fight.

better question is why he didn't use that monstrous reach advantage.

Yeah i'm not gonna ignore the punches of course (although Tarec isn't very well known for his KO power), just concentrate on defending the leg kick, actually even try to bait him into leg kicking me and then check it.

no, you're not going to do that. lol.

People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

That's because a bunch of Anderson haters have decreed that leg breaks by kick check are a devastating offensive technique designed to break legs. No accident about it.

Yeah, cause it's that easy. :rolleyes:

I've seen Andy vs Weidman 2 too, BRB, fucking up fools legs.

1. Tarec's kicks are less telegraphed and more technically sound than Anderson's.

2. Weidman is made out of steel.

No, at least not in that fight he wasn't. I assume it's because if he were to throw them the 'correct' way, he would've left himself more open for the takedown.

Pretty much. Tarec was landing them slightly above the knee or on the side of the knee. Anderson was throwing them much lower to try to avoid his kicks getting caught. Weidman knew he would take this approach and gameplanned perfectly. Tarec was throwing with more versatility because he wasn't afraid of getting taken down because he knew he'd have a serious speed advantage.

Because weidman learns at a faster pace than everyone else. The growth in his ability to check legs was large in 6 months. It is a very difficult skill to learn, the timing and the reaction speed required are difficult. So Lim may have spent the entirity of the fight camp focusing on checking leg kicks but he still not have been very good at it. Bottom line, its hard to do

Even the top guys in K-1 still eat a lot of leg kicks and miss checks and even get finished with leg kicks.

And Lim WAS defending the kicks. He DID check a lot of them.

Just Tarec hid a lot of his kicks behind setups and as counters.

Tarec landed like 4 out of 15 leg kicks in the first round alone. Lim avoided almost all and countered 2 of them.

In the 3rd and 4th rounds, Lim got Tarec to stop unloading leg kicks by continually lifting his left leg high, causing Tarec to switch to strikes/clinches.

That's because a bunch of Anderson haters have decreed that leg breaks by kick check are a devastating offensive technique designed to break legs. No accident about it.
Shouldn't that be Weidman haters?

Even the top guys in K-1 still eat a lot of leg kicks and miss checks and even get finished with leg kicks.

And Lim WAS defending the kicks. He DID check a lot of them.

Just Tarec hid a lot of his kicks behind setups and as counters.

Tarec landed like 4 out of 15 leg kicks in the first round alone. Lim avoided almost all and countered 2 of them.

In the 3rd and 4th rounds, Lim got Tarec to stop unloading leg kicks by continually lifting his left leg high, causing Tarec to switch to strikes/clinches.
Pretty much this. Why the fuck would you bait someone into something that's a defensive technique? Feint, make him respond with a check of his own, and blast him with a fucking right hand instead.

You make it sound like checking a lowkick leaves you wide open.

Depends on how low it is thrown. If you are checking a kick meant to hit your lower thigh, you might put yourself off balance by lifting your leg, especially if your leg is already hurting.

Tarec actually throws leg kicks with proper technique, so it wouldn't have had the same horrible effect as Anderson's, anyway.

this, what happened to andy was a mix of great defense by chris and poor form by andy (as in not stepping through with your kicks, not throwing your hips with it, hitting the knee with the side of your leg etc). but still lim should have tried more.

People saw Weidman vs Anderson II and now all of a sudden think checking leg kicks is some new next level shit that will change the entire game

This ^^^! Let the new fans have their dreams! They have to learn too!

this, what happened to andy was a mix of great defense by chris and poor form by andy (as in not stepping through with your kicks, not throwing your hips with it, hitting the knee with the side of your leg etc). but still lim should have tried more.

shortening a kick doesn't mean it's bad form leaving you open to leg breaks. he hit with the front of his shin. i mean, he simultaneously is throwing a full power kick to some and not stepping through enough to others. weidman checked a kick.

Back