I don't understand Cub Swanson

You´re embarrassing yourself, bro. Frankie has one of the most exciting careers in the UFC, he´s been in absolute wars and fought the very best fighters on the roster. Have some respect motherf*cker!

Dude is the most boring fighter in ufc history

Them fight years are catching up with him. He's turning into a pro gate keeper. Hope he rematches Aldo though.

He was afraid of getting taken down, beaten to a pulp and then submitted.

Frankie literally doesn't do this, ever.

I don't remember anything like that coming from Edgar in the last 12 years.

Put some blame on his corner as well

They told him it was 1-1 and he was outstriking him

He did it in his first fight against Cub Swanson, you total noob.

<45><45>

?

Just recently Edgar took down Yair and beat him to a pulp and before that he submitted Swanson.

cub just looked completely flat. I expected him to go for broke at some point but it just never materialized. the last frankie fight obviously had a big mental impact on him and his game planning

Man, every fucking time a goddamn wrestler outstrikes a goddamn striker these stupid-ass threads pop up.

The Threat of the takedown changes the complexion of fights. Why did Lee look like a good striker against Barboza? Why did Khabib look decent on his feet against a "tentative" Iaquinta?
Because of the threat of the takedown.
Woodley outstruck Wonderboy, Wonderboy seemed "tentative", etc.
There's so much examples.

As much as I agree Vvarhead that the threat of the wrestling is what gave Cub Swanson pause, it's still one hundred percent on Cub Swanson to find a way to work around that, and overcome this glaring flaw as a fighter. To me, Cub Swanson seems like a stand up fighter, he likes to work with a lot of kicks, looping hooks, it's safe to say he's a striker. It also seems to be safe to say he's useless on the ground, and has a fear of getting taken down.

He wouldn't have to respect it as much if he had some confidence in his own game plan, and actually worked on working off his back and improving his BJJ game to give Frankie SOME trouble. Now obviously that still wouldn't be enough, but Cub reduced himself to a Jab last night because he only worked on how to stop the Takedown for the fight, not how to pressure or frame himself, he still hasn't overcome this fear of getting taken down and that comes with a huge lack of preparation in a fight.

Cub's fear of getting taken down and being pummeled is his fault. He said it himself in an interview, he never really worked with his GI in the early stages of his career, so it's his fault he's deathly afraid of getting taken down, he obviously hasn't pushed past this adversity and it showed big time yesterday.

People with BJJ skills to catch wrestlers like Ortega, and Max, wouldn't be so weary of getting takedown because they're comfortable working in those positions, and would know what to do. Cub Swanson, who chooses to favor striking over everything else, gets completely neutralized once the treat of the takedown is there.

This might not make sense, but Cub Swanson beat himself yesterday, Frankie did what he had to do, but TO ME, it was very clear he didn't game plan properly for this at all. He was afraid, and lacked confidence, his Mental is not up there to be a Championship level fighter unfortunately.

Now I get that no amount of BJJ training will turn him into a Brian Ortega, or a Max Holloway who can catch submissions rather sneakily, but it's better to develop something than not have it at all. Cub Swansons a good and exciting stand up striker, but that's it, his own lack of preparation and being a complete fighter so to speak, was the reason he lost, and was so afraid.

Last edited:
He should have started throwing combinations in the 3rd much earlier. I think part of it was bad cornering: they didn't tell him he was down 0-2 and told him that he was doing great going into the 3rd so he probably thought he should defend TDs and try to win on points. He really needed to go for broke.

The one guy beat the other guy in the fight.

Man, I did not expect one guy to win the fight.

Damn.

Edgar is better everywhere than Swanson. With takedowns, or without.

For people defending that pitiful performance: edgar tried taking cub down several times and swanson actually did a good job of defending those take-downs. He was just his usual mentally weak self: always comes up short when it matters most. If choi had any semblance of defence, other than blocking strikes with his face, swanson would have lost that fight easily and sunken into the irrelevance where he belongs.
Wtf did cub kill your dog or sth?

Back