"I didn't think it was wrong to smoke marijuana. I have a medical card."

Shep Proudfoot

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cynthia Calvillo

“I really didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I’m not trying to be a rebel, just, I don’t know. It just really, really sucks that I’m in this position right now.”

“They say you have to be literally pretty super, super high in order to test positive the day of the fight. There’s no way in hell I smoked or took any cannabis the week of my fight at all. Let alone the day of my fight.”

16908765_871532492989374_1284912850409619456_n.jpg

“They tell us, like, they’re comfortable about how much time you would need to be cleared for in-competition testing. The last time I had consumed cannabis was on Christmas Eve, which was the week of the fight. I usually use it for sleeping, I use it for inflammation, I have had my medical card for over two years. It’s something I’ve used especially because I had an injury where I broke arm my three times in a row, and so I use it for the medical component and cannabis, CBD does help heal your bones. I was also having trouble sleeping for a long time [and it’s] better than using over-the counter stuff.”

http://www.lowkickmma.com/cynthia-c...source=lowkickmma&utm_medium=related_articles

why wont people just admit they like to get high and its legal. you dont use it because you broke your arm! come on!

it can stay in your system for awhile if you smoke regularly, smoking the week of the fight probably wasnt a good idea

Cynthia Calvillo

“I really didn’t think I was doing anything wrong. I’m not trying to be a rebel, just, I don’t know. It just really, really sucks that I’m in this position right now.”

“They say you have to be literally pretty super, super high in order to test positive the day of the fight. There’s no way in hell I smoked or took any cannabis the week of my fight at all. Let alone the day of my fight.”

16908765_871532492989374_1284912850409619456_n.jpg

“They tell us, like, they’re comfortable about how much time you would need to be cleared for in-competition testing. The last time I had consumed cannabis was on Christmas Eve, which was the week of the fight. I usually use it for sleeping, I use it for inflammation, I have had my medical card for over two years. It’s something I’ve used especially because I had an injury where I broke arm my three times in a row, and so I use it for the medical component and cannabis, CBD does help heal your bones. I was also having trouble sleeping for a long time [and it’s] better than using over-the counter stuff.”

http://www.lowkickmma.com/cynthia-c...source=lowkickmma&utm_medium=related_articles

that is stupid IMO.
She spoke with Jeff Novitzky about it
“It’s something that I discussed with [UFC vice president of athlete health and performance] Jeff Novitzky before, even once I got into the UFC in terms of the usage of marijuana. So I’ve done this safely every single fight, I’ve been tested every day the day of my fight and it’s never been an issue before.”

And she sums it up how ridiculous this is:
“The Nevada commission has fined people six months for (PEDs) but they’re suspending me nine months for cannabis, which is something I use for sleeping or inflammation which is not going to hurt me or my body and not hurt any opponent. ... It’s legal there, there are a lot of people in the commission who are involved in dispensaries and in the business, so it just kinda sucks.”

PED - Six months
Cannabis - 9 Months

Taking a banned substance and getting caught by random testing - 1 year
Taking a banned substance (that was allowed before but banned this year, but telling USADA you took - not them finding out through tests) - 2 years

Coke
- Nothing

<JonesLaugh>

Edit: link of where I got the other quotes

Last edited:
If the athletic commission had sprung this rule on them the day of the fight, I'd have all kinds of sympathy for her. As it is, she gets none. Where I work, we are subject to "random" drug tests. If you fail one, you lose your job. If you are willing to risk that just so you can smoke pot, don't bitch if the consequences come down.

why wont people just admit they like to get high and its legal. you dont use it because you broke your arm! come on!

it can stay in your system for awhile if you smoke regularly, smoking the week of the fight probably wasnt a good idea
Oh, so she's supposed to know the RULES of her sport? Smh....

The things we expect of athletes today....

I was high too and the UFC cut my PPV feed. Fucking assholes. I didn't even get a refund. Discriminatory....

doesn't this highlight another problem? the in competition testing for MJ is 24 hours before the fight and 24 after the fight. You have to test positive within that time period. USADA has suspended multiple people now who have said they did not smoke within 24 hours of the fight and smoked days or a week out.

It seems USADA can't actually determine when someone last smoked, but only that it's in their system.

technically she may not have smoked it in competition and still tested positive?

does that make sense im high

Never fails to amaze me how people put drug use ahead of their career. I don't agree with fighters getting suspended for it but knowing the rules why don't they just give it up completely rather than trying to time stopping it and then fucking it up because everyones body and level of use is different.

I'm 100% pro legalization but it also makes me laugh when people act like a medical weed card meant anything. Seriously, you can get an "appointment" by webcam, say you have anxiety and they'll just ship you a card and a coupon.

Weed is a cluster f: banned in some states, legalized in some states, decriminalized in others and impossible to tell when someone used via testing. The only rational thing to do is legalize it everywhere and let fighters blaze, especially considering when alcohol is legal and 100x worse for you in every regard (Addiction wise, behavior while intoxicated wise and effects on body wise).

Last edited:
doesn't this highlight another problem? the in competition testing for MJ is 24 hours before the fight and 24 after the fight. You have to test positive within that time period. USADA has suspended multiple people now who have said they did not smoke within 24 hours of the fight and smoked days or a week out.

It seems USADA can't actually determine when someone last smoked, but only that it's in their system.

technically she may not have smoked it in competition and still tested positive?

As I understand it they have to be under a certain threshold during the in competition period. It's not a case of when the drug is administered. It's simply be under the stated threshold or you have violated the ruled.

It makes sense. USADA can't tell when was the last time a person smoked. They can't even tell if the other PEDs in a fighter's system is due to contamination or therapeutic use. Basically, they find something and it is up to you to prove that you are innocent.

It is like a cop finding a picture of a naked baby in your house and accusing you of being a pedophile, and now it is up to you to prove that you aren't.

Terrible system. Not only are they putting fighters' health in jeopardy, but they are also messing with their ability to earn a living.

Most of our food sources are contaminated. We don't know what these farmers are putting in the food to yield larger crops or animals. The burden shouldn't be on the fighter (who is barely getting paid by the UFC) to make sure that he/she gets all his food tested by USADA, before consuming it.

“They tell us, like, they’re comfortable about how much time you would need to be cleared for in-competition testing. The last time I had consumed cannabis was on Christmas Eve, which was the week of the fight."

Was she high when she gave this interview?

it should be treated just like alcohol, they need to find a way to test if someone is high during competition not if they have a certain threshold of metabolites in their system which could be from weeks prior it's just silly

“They tell us, like, they’re comfortable about how much time you would need to be cleared for in-competition testing. The last time I had consumed cannabis was on Christmas Eve, which was the week of the fight."

Was she high when she gave this interview?

Noticed the same.

She's not doing herself any favors by making comments like that.

Back