I didn't see Joanna vs Rose 2...did Joanna really win?

I feel like it was a clear cut 3-2 for Rose.

I honestly haven't seen an argument that would change my mind.

Maybe the judges got it wrong at 49-46 but they got the decision right and the rounds they gave rose were the closer of the lot.

1,2 Rose
3,4 Joanna
5 close iirc. I gave it to Rose. Gotta beat the champ to take the belt in close fights.

It's a competitive fight. And it's a damn solid fight, so watch it.

The Joanna haters will frame it as though Rose kicked her ass. I've seen phrases such as now that Rose crushed Joanna again casually thrown into Sherdog threads and the hyperbole is kind of amusing at the very least. I've also seen people point out that Rose was rocking her left and right and dropped her...but maybe I'm nuts but I only remember maybe one shot that really seemed to stun Joanna.

From my assessment, Joanna gave it a good go but didn't do enough. Rose, meanwhile, fought well- was mobile, slipped some attacks well, and landed the better punches for sure. Joanna made it close with her kicks and workrate, but she was unable, in my view, to pour it on the way she usually does down the stretch of a fight because she was always leery of Rose's capacity to hurt her, as higlighted in their previous fight.

As it stood, I thought the first round was competitive but went to Rose. Second round was clearly Rose, third and fourth were Joanna's and 5th was pretty even except for the fact that Rose did two things to clinch it- she came out of the gate very aggressively, starting out the round strong, and she notched a takedown in the closing moments of the fight.

Rose won 4 rounds to 1. Wasn’t remotely close.

I've read a few fight reviews and they said Joanna really won...is that true?

Nope. I like Joanna. I respect her performance in that fight. She lost the first two but managed to reverse the momentum and took the third and fourth. A solid majority of Sherdog had the fight even going into the fifth. And Rose came out strong and took it. She landed big shots early in the round, and then sealed it with a late takedown.

The judges all scored it 4-1 Rose, but the consensus is that 3-2 would have been a more accurate ruling, but Rose won either way.

Back