I am speechless, Matt Hughes feels like he deserved it...

I am listening to his interview with Ariel and he says that he doesn't want to return to the way he was because he was a bad person and feels like he doesn't deserve it because of his sins of the past.

Time stamped:

I read his book and he did lots of bad stuff but damn its crazy because he is late in his mid- 40s and now he openly feels deep regret. Makes me wonder if he always had that guilt and this incident made it come up to the surface. Credit to him for owning it up as oppose to playing the victim game/being a crybully. Hopefully he can find some closure and hopefully the people that were victimized can move past it.

Mod Edit: Please be respectful. Implying or claiming Hughes deserved what happened to him is fighter bashing and will not be tolerated.

Respect him as a fighter, but after watching TUF and reading his bio it's kind of hard to argue that he wasn't a terrible person.

I'm not looking for proof that an intelligence is connecting to you, more just evidence, because I don't see why you'd believe there was an intelligence involved without evidence. There could be some invisible forces at work that we don't know about that are completely natural. The universe is just systems interacting with other systems, and combinations of systems combine to create bigger systems, literally everything big small microscopic is a system which is cool but there's some invisible systems like wind and radio frequencies and I suspect there may be other invisible things going on that we just can't or haven't detected yet. Whether there's intelligence behind it I don't know.

Your experience is interesting though. It sounds a bit like flow state that you're experiencing which is when your subconscious is fully in the moment, basically like if all the bits of computer memory are allocated to only one program running on your computer instead of multitasking, when your mind does this you're then so in the moment that it feels like something else is carrying you along, but it's your subconscious. The subconscious is amazing to me because it's like another mind inside of you that can run programs for you even if you're not consciously aware or consciously doing it.

Your feelings of love and the white field are strange though for sure. Same with the strangeness of students bringing it up to you, especially if you never told them what you were feeling before. I know it's possible to see "halos" around lights and that's a defect of the eye but not sure if that's the same thing.

Not sure what to think of it, but I had my mind blown today with the "Green needle brainstorm thing" (not sure if you heard about this yet but I made a post on it http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/brainstorm-vs-green-needle-its-only-business.3849447/). After seeing how our own minds can change our perception of that sound so distinctly, that really shows me that life truly is just our perception and I don't know what to believe is real or not.

Great reply. Ill check out that link for sure.

If you are open to undiscovered forces that is a huge leap from where I thought you might be coming from and honestly is enough for my highest hopes when speaking with someone on a forum.

Whatever I am experiencing it is absolutely real in the same sense that the universe is real, but then again that does not exclude the concept of God in any way either. Whatever God is-- it is a concrete reality that we only catch glimpses of no matter how intense the experience seems to us.

Great reply. Ill check out that link for sure.

If you are open to undiscovered forces that is a huge leap from where I thought you might be coming from and honestly is enough for my highest hopes when speaking with someone on a forum.

Whatever I am experiencing it is absolutely real in the same sense that the universe is real, but then again that does not exclude the concept of God in any way either. Whatever God is-- it is a concrete reality that we only catch glimpses of no matter how intense the experience seems to us.

Thanks for the compliment. I'm definitely open minded towards all possibility, but my critical thinking makes it hard for me to form beliefs without sufficient information. I identify as an agnostic atheist which I may have already mentioned, which just means I don't believe in god (atheist) but I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I don't know if he does or not (Agnostic).

Yeah check the video out in that link and tell me if it blows your mind like it did mine. Assuming it works for you. It's not working for some apparently. I looked up the science behind it and apparently when your mind is expecting a sound or word, the mind kind of primes itself for the acoustic, and that's why when you think of the word that's what you hear. But now it's just gonna be harder for me to believe anything lol

Thanks for the compliment. I'm definitely open minded towards all possibility, but my critical thinking makes it hard for me to form beliefs without sufficient information. I identify as an agnostic atheist which I may have already mentioned, which just means I don't believe in god (atheist) but I'm not saying he doesn't exist, I don't know if he does or not (Agnostic).

Yeah check the video out in that link and tell me if it blows your mind like it did mine. Assuming it works for you. It's not working for some apparently. I looked up the science behind it and apparently when your mind is expecting a sound or word, the mind kind of primes itself for the acoustic, and that's why when you think of the word that's what you hear. But now it's just gonna be harder for me to believe anything lol

It absolutely worked on me and at first I thought it was just coincidence.

I think there is a way to investigate the reality of whatever "God" is that is pretty reliable-- at least for a certain segment of the population. The problem is that without a belief in some kind of spiritual reality beforehand it would be nearly impossible to get someone to do it with sufficient vigour over the course of time required.

I am talking about a very serious meditation practice. I have practiced it for over 3 hours a day for the last 25 years. I think it is a reliable means of investigating more subtle realities.

I sincerely hope Hughes has a speedy and successful recovery. He´s a legend of the sport and no one deserves shit like that to happen to them.

That said, over the years I have learned that there are as many religions as there religious people and they all have their own take on godly things. If Matt believes he deserved it, ain´t nobody gonna turn his head. Someone else might think that God actually saved his life or whatever. Trying to figure out the "correct" christian interpretation of facts is pointless and as an atheist, I´m extremely happy that I have no obligation to bother myself with such mental gymnastics. Shit happens and then you die, that´s enough for me.

Life is tough.

It's a journey.

Embrace the suck and enjoy every moment of it.

It absolutely worked on me and at first I thought it was just coincidence.

I think there is a way to investigate the reality of whatever "God" is that is pretty reliable-- at least for a certain segment of the population. The problem is that without a belief in some kind of spiritual reality beforehand it would be nearly impossible to get someone to do it with sufficient vigour over the course of time required.

I am talking about a very serious meditation practice. I have practiced it for over 3 hours a day for the last 25 years. I think it is a reliable means of investigating more subtle realities.

Yeah I've been doing meditations for a few years now too. Not for 3 hours daily though! I also believe there's access to some secret mind powers with meditation which I've been trying to explore. I really don't know though I just feel like I'm exploring unexplored areas of my own mind and just experimenting. There is something to it though. You seriously do 3 hours of meditation every day?

Yeah I've been doing meditations for a few years now too. Not for 3 hours daily though! I also believe there's access to some secret mind powers with meditation which I've been trying to explore. I really don't know though I just feel like I'm exploring unexplored areas of my own mind and just experimenting. There is something to it though. You seriously do 3 hours of meditation every day?

I do 3 or more a day yes. When I was 19 my life was total shit and I met a guy who taught it and it really helped me get things together and I just stuck with it. Almost immediately I could see that a meditation path was what I wanted to "do".

I think there are some potentials that can be unlocked for some people. It is said that when the Buddha was teaching some people became enlightened and attained supernatural powers and some just became enlightened but did not attain them.

I just want to be less of a dick though.

I do 3 or more a day yes. When I was 19 my life was total shit and I met a guy who taught it and it really helped me get things together and I just stuck with it. Almost immediately I could see that a meditation path was what I wanted to "do".

I think there are some potentials that can be unlocked for some people. It is said that when the Buddha was teaching some people became enlightened and attained supernatural powers and some just became enlightened but did not attain them.

I just want to be less of a dick though.

Interesting. I use meditation for a few different things, the basic one is one everyone talks about which is training your mind to live in the moment which is great for stress and saving energy and being less ADHD, another one is to strengthen beliefs by meditating on affirmations, for example if you keep repeating to yourself that you're healing and healthy, your body will placebo itself into actually healing, just like if you give someone a sugar pill that they think is a real medicine and then they heal.

I also used meditations to get rid of my arachnophobia (i know, corny :p), but another great use it to do visualizations. Joe Dispenza talks about how the mind is a record of the past, but through visualizing future events your mind doesn't know the difference between real and imagined, so you visualize to create the neural pathways for whatever you want to do in the future, and then the mind goes from being a record of the past and becomes a map to the future. I'm sure you're familiar with visualization.

I feel crazy writing some of that stuff but like you said there is something there for sure. And you don't seem like much of a dick to me by the way so you're probably doing good on that so far lol

Didn't expect that to happen. I always loved Hughes, but heard about him doin some dumb stuff when he was younger. Now I feel bad for him. He was probably living with the guilt for some years.

Can anyone elaborate on the things he feels regretful for in the past ? Is this about him being his general arrogance or is there something else ?

Honestly really religious people are weird. My girlfriend was talking to her mom on speakerphone and her mom said our friends child lived (from being like 3 month premature and fucked up lungs) because she prayed for it.

I have a friend that was literally on his death bed in the hospital with a cancerous tumor. He was miraculously and instantaneously healed. It's a well know and documented event.
Interesting, I know a lot of people that were dominated by addictions they had no control over. They couldn't deal with life without getting drunk or high but that's no longer a problem. Nothing controls them now, they have freedom, the power to choose the life they desire.

Can anyone elaborate on the things he feels regretful for in the past ? Is this about him being his general arrogance or is there something else ?
Pretty good review of his book on page two or three. No he's a self admitted criminal. Beat up his parents, rape, tortured animals, etc. Who knows what he didnt tell.

It’s actually not. Statistically as many people die after lots of prayer as not lots of prayer, and statistically as many people recover ‘miraculously’ after not lots of prayer as lots of prayer.

But humans tend to recognize patterns where there are none. Especially if said pattern (that doesn’t exist) confirms a preconceived bias. And I’m not trying to pick on the religious. Religious and non religious folks both find patterns where there are none, and perform confirmation bias.

And of course we are swayed by empirical evidence (eg a small sample size, like “my buddy’s sister recovered.....”) and when groups of true believers spread their few stories more than a the others (eg they didn’t tell you about the other person in the hospital room who had lots of prayer but died anyway, did they?)

Sources are many, but https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Haunte...carl+sagan&dpPl=1&dpID=516v2EY3F8L&ref=plSrch is a great place to start.

But the good news is, if you truly believe what you said already, nothing I just said - no matter how many sources I provide - will change your mind ;)

It's actually not? The friend I'm talking about is a documented event. He was part of our commercial herring fishing co-op and fished with us that year. People that knew him and what happend kept coming by to see him when we were fishing. They called him the miracle man.

I really didn't like Matt but NOBODY deserves this.

I hope he recovers more fully, or finds peace.

Matt didn’t deserve this but there are scumbags in this world that definitely do deserve to mowed down by a train.

Hughes may have some brain damage but he’s walking and can still do a lot of things. He had a lucky escape.

He seems depressed (CTE possibly a factor?) and I wouldn't be surprised if the train accident was in fact a suicide attempt. Just my opinion.

People bashing him because of some random book review is dumb IMO. Has anyone actually read his book here? Of course he was a bit of a bully in the past but so are many fighters (Lombard, etc).

Matt is a legend of the sport, period. And as far as I remember always respectful to his opponents after his losses.

I hope he can continue to recover and stay positive with loving people around him.

Matt-Hughes-And-BJ-Penn-On-Bike.jpg

tumblr_omvwspq3391upwz95o1_400.gif

Last edited:
There is about 4 thousand years of philosophy you need to get through before posting shit like this.
It's a lot easier to ask ourself "why do we believe?" to find out if God is real, rather than trying to find reasons for why he is.

Psychology answers more questions than religion, as religion is a result of psychology.

I know he’s not in the right mindset but you really have to wonder if Matt was trying to kill himself and his whole family. What were they doing in front of that train ??

Back