I am speechless, Matt Hughes feels like he deserved it...

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I am listening to his interview with Ariel and he says that he doesn't want to return to the way he was because he was a bad person and feels like he doesn't deserve it because of his sins of the past.

Time stamped:

I read his book and he did lots of bad stuff but damn its crazy because he is late in his mid- 40s and now he openly feels deep regret. Makes me wonder if he always had that guilt and this incident made it come up to the surface. Credit to him for owning it up as oppose to playing the victim game/being a crybully. Hopefully he can find some closure and hopefully the people that were victimized can move past it.

Mod Edit: Please be respectful. Implying or claiming Hughes deserved what happened to him is fighter bashing and will not be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats very interesting. Yeah he was a dick at times,but i still liked him overall. Theres people i disliked way more than Matt,and i certainly respected him alot for what he did for MMA. I liked his unassuming presence,and mentality when it came to fighting.

All the people about to say "He did" should be banned for fighter bashing.

Honestly really religious people are weird. My girlfriend was talking to her mom on speakerphone and her mom said our friends child lived (from being like 3 month premature and fucked up lungs) because she prayed for it.

Sad situation... Can't change the way he feels. But the guy is a MMA Legend and has my respect.

I watched the new documentary The country boy can survive, on fightpass. Damn that was emotional! its one of the best documentaries ever done on a MMA fighter. Emotional stuff. You guys should have a look at it if you never seen it.

Probably because he’s trying to justify why god did that to him.

He is deeply religious and probably always said god has a plan.

But he will never consider the possibility that there is no reason to believe in god, so instead he’s forced to believe god wanted the accident to happen for some reason and him being bad is the way he justifies it.

It’s the only way for him to keep believing in god.

Last edited:
I am listening to his interview with Ariel and he says that he doesn't want to return to the way he was because he was a bad person and feels like he doesn't deserve it because of his sins of the past.

Time stamped:

I read his book and he did lots of bad stuff but damn its crazy because he is late in his mid- 40s and now he openly feels deep regret. Makes me wonder if he always had that guilt and this incident made it come up to the surface. Credit to him for owning it up as oppose to playing the victim game/being a crybully. Hopefully he can find some closure and hopefully the people that were victimized ( except Frank Trigg) can move past it.

Crazy Christian shit. This fire and brimstone bible pounding preacher mindset can fucking wreck you. His coping with the accident is unhealthy, he needs a good professional psychotherapy.

Sometimes traumatic brain injuries make people morally worse than they were and sometimes better. I've read on the topic. It's fascinating.

Probably because he’s trying to justify why god did that to him.

He is deeply religious and probably always said god has a plan.

But he will never consider the possibility that there is no god, so instead he’s forced to believe god wanted the accident to happen for some reason and him being bad is the way he justifies it.

It’s the only way for him to keep believing in god.

There is about 4 thousand years of philosophy you need to get through before posting shit like this.

Sometimes traumatic brain injuries make people morally worse than they were and sometimes better. I've read on the topic. It's fascinating.
Mostly worse. It is very interesting, especially the genesis of the research field in the case of Phineas Gage

regardless of his past, anyone being in Matt Hughes's position is easy to sympathize with.

I still think Matt was trying to commit suicide. The way he ended up getting hit by that train just doesn't add up.

Honestly really religious people are weird. My girlfriend was talking to her mom on speakerphone and her mom said our friends child lived (from being like 3 month premature and fucked up lungs) because she prayed for it.
Religion is power, if you can dominate the mind you can dominate their actions.

Sad situation... Can't change the way he feels. But the guy is a MMA Legend and has my respect.

I have no idea what to say but I give him all the respect in the world for not playing victim. That being said I wish he makes full recovery because of how big of a man he is compared to the crybullies I see in life + we still need to see Matt Hughes vs Karo Parisyan happen!

Religion is fucking stupid. If God is really going around laying the smackdown on people because they are assholes he needs to get busy on a few people I know. But this isn't really how any of this works so....

Did u read the stuff he did? You know how many potential lives he changed for the worse b/c of his actions? Ppl need to be accountable for their actions even at a young age. We all did dumb shit as kids but even as he got older he was still a prick and did some foul stuff
what did Matt do? i honestly dont know so can please someone elaborate? i only disliked him for his hunting bullshit so far

Crazy Christian shit. This fire and brimstone bible pounding preacher mindset can fucking wreck you. His coping with the accident is unhealthy, he needs a good professional psychotherapy.
I disagree. I'd argue that faith is his greatest asset to both his physical and mental health during this time.

By all accounts Hughes was a shitty guy, but nobody should have to go through what he has

Despite what he says I think everyone's hoping he makes the fullest recovery he can

Back