I am pro universal higher-ed, however, on college debt, what about responsbility?

Der Eisbär

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It seems to me that when it comes to the conversation of college expenses and student loan debt, the question of responsibility gets totally left out.

If you're going into large amounts of debt to get a degree, does it not stand to reason that the degree you get as a result of that debt should be roughly equivalent in earnings potential? For example, by the time I graduate, I will only have about 15,000$ in debt. That's just for my poli sci BS w/ a minor in psych. With just that degree, I could expect to get a starting job in a major city making between 30-40k a year. With that kind of starting salary, 15k isn't a lot of debt. It could be paid off in a 2+ years depending on my level of discipline.

Now, I'm planning on going to law school afterwards, which I think is going to cost a total of $50,000. But the end result is a juris doctor, where I can start a career making good money. Again, with the earnings potential of that degree, the numbers work out and the debt burden isn't that great and can be paid off quickly.

If you're going to a more expensive school, shouldn't you be considering the amount of debt you're going into if you're just getting a bachelors with low earning potential like me? If you're going to Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame, etc etc and getting a degree w/ low earnings potential, isn't that on you? Why is this part of this conversation totally left out?

My room mate was telling me about this girl she knew at Boise State, that had been in school for 8 years and was $200,000 in debt just to get her BA. What, in the fuck? That is totally and completely irresponsible, and you deserve what's coming to you. I know that is an anecdote, but I hear these stories quite often.

it's a weird situation
holding young students accountable under their parents for FAFSA....yet the loans (barring PLUS loans) go in their name....

Its true that some college students get way to far into debt for a mediocre degree with no real earnings potential, and are financially irresponsible, but its also true that college is ridiculously overpriced.

Not to mention getting a degree doesn't mean as much as it use to.

The government should not be making money on investing into the education of it's citizens. The payoff is a more educated public which comes along with less crime and less republican votes.

It seems to me that when it comes to the conversation of college expenses and student loan debt, the question of responsibility gets totally left out.

If you're going into large amounts of debt to get a degree, does it not stand to reason that the degree you get as a result of that debt should be roughly equivalent in earnings potential? For example, by the time I graduate, I will only have about 15,000$ in debt. That's just for my poli sci BS w/ a minor in psych. With just that degree, I could expect to get a starting job in a major city making between 30-40k a year. With that kind of starting salary, 15k isn't a lot of debt. It could be paid off in a 2+ years depending on my level of discipline.

Now, I'm planning on going to law school afterwards, which I think is going to cost a total of $50,000. But the end result is a juris doctor, where I can start a career making good money. Again, with the earnings potential of that degree, the numbers work out and the debt burden isn't that great and can be paid off quickly.

If you're going to a more expensive school, shouldn't you be considering the amount of debt you're going into if you're just getting a bachelors with low earning potential like me? If you're going to Harvard, Yale, Notre Dame, etc etc and getting a degree w/ low earnings potential, isn't that on you? Why is this part of this conversation totally left out?

My room mate was telling me about this girl she knew at Boise State, that had been in school for 8 years and was $200,000 in debt just to get her BA. What, in the fuck? That is totally and completely irresponsible, and you deserve what's coming to you. I know that is an anecdote, but I hear these stories quite often.

What law school only costs $50,000? Are you sure you don't mean $50,000 for the year?

Also unless you are living with mommy and daddy you are not paying 15K off in 2 years making 30-40 a year.

The government should not be making money on investing into the education of it's citizens. The payoff is a more educated public which comes along with less crime and less republican votes.

I think for any country it make sense. You want more educated people that make sense to me

Just come to the 3rd world you can get a degree have no debt really and get a okay job and have no ability move up. But hey no debt!

I think for any country it make sense. You want more educated people that make sense to me

It's almost like the US does not want a more educated public. At least republicans don't because college is for dummies

it's a weird situation
holding young students accountable under their parents for FAFSA....yet the loans (barring PLUS loans) go in their name....
The whole FAFSA system is so stupid, and I'm tired of dealing with it.

If you're under 25, you go by your parents income, whether or not they actually give you anything for college. If you're over 25, they use your income from 2 years ago to predict your financial aid eligibility for upcoming semesters. Makes no sense at all. Most young people don't have savings, if they do, it isn't much. Expecting me to somehow have money for college from the $18,000 I made in 2016 is absurd.

100% agree. Make the loans interest free.

The whole FAFSA system is so stupid, and I'm tired of dealing with it.

If you're under 25, you go by your parents income, whether or not they actually give you anything for college. If you're over 25, they use your income from 2 years ago to predict your financial aid eligibility for upcoming semesters. Makes no sense at all. Most young people don't have savings, if they do, it isn't much. Expecting me to somehow have money for college from the $18,000 I made in 2016 is absurd.
that actually helps you out, the two years thing
presumably a younger person will make more/get promoted/raise in the two years time, so by using the older AGI from your tax return you're likely eligible for more Grants or Work Study

My stepdad made low six figures, yet didn't give me a single cent in Undergrad, trust me, I feel you.

Just come to the 3rd world you can get a degree have no debt really and get a okay job and have no ability move up. But hey no debt!
Comparing a 3rd world education to a first world education, just lmfao.

It makes sense to invest in the education of your young people. It doesn't make sense to make money off of them as a result by taxing future earnings. The pay off is self evident: a better society for all.

when the FED took over issuing student loans in the early 00s, it caused a spiral in tuition costs b/c they knew at worst you could generally always get loans, they can't be forgiven, and can be garnished from your annual tax return...

For reference, my freshman year at SDSU the tuition was 888/semester or 1776 for in state students (2001). Now? 7460 per year.....

wages have increased by what 4% in that span? That's absurd
actual link for past ten years tuition/fees
http://www.calstate.edu/budget/student-fees/fee-rates/sandiego-history.shtml

What law school only costs $50,000? Are you sure you don't mean $50,000 for the year?

Also unless you are living with mommy and daddy you are not paying 15K off in 2 years making 30-40 a year.
It's 50k if I gain residency in Utah before attending. 25k/year in state, 50k/year out of state. University of Utah, Quinney law school. I could stay here in Idaho and go to U of I's law school for 19k/year.

I'm not sure what you think law school costs. If you're holding up harvard law as some kind of standard cost of tuition that's absurd. Most law schools I've looked at cost around this range.

And the cost of living here in Boise is small. I could get a job at this analytics firm a few former co-workers now work at, starting at 48k. Let's say I get taxed @ 30%. That's take home of 34k. My monthly bills including gas, rent, utilities and food are about $820. $9,800 for the year. Sorry, but yeah, I could pay off 15k in 2 years with those kinds of numbers. But I did say 2+ years.

Last edited:
when the FED took over issuing student loans in the early 00s, it caused a spiral in tuition costs b/c they knew at worst you could generally always get loans, they can't be forgiven, and can be garnished from your annual tax return...

For reference, my freshman year at SDSU the tuition was 888/semester or 1776 for in state students (2001). Now? 7460 per year.....

That's fucking gross. Ugh.

It's almost like the US does not want a more educated public. At least republicans don't because college is for dummies

Big debt can be like a type slavery.

Why your govt take over it?

It's 50k if I gain residency in Utah before attending. 25k/year in state, 50k/year out of state. University of Utah, Quinney law school. I could stay here in Idaho and go to U of I's law school for 19k/year.

I'm not sure what you think law school costs. If you're holding up harvard law as some kind of standard cost of tuition that's absurd. Most law schools I've looked at cost around this range.

And the cost of living here in Boise is small. I could get a job at this analytics firm a few former co-workers now work at, starting at 48k. Let's say I get taxed @ 30%. That's take home of 34k. My monthly bills including gas, rent, utilities and food are about $820. $9,800 for the year. Sorry, but yeah, I could pay off 15k in 2 years with those kinds of numbers. But I did say 2+ years.

Ahhh. I live in Chicago so things are a bit different I suppose from Utah.

When I graduated I considered law school and was looking at University of Chicago, Loyola and a couple others. ALL were above 50K per year

https://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/tuition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back