I am not a trump fan, but given the choice of trump or GOP, I choose Trump

I agree with you in some ways, I hope he doesn't start becoming more of an interventionist and bomb Syria. One thing that I really like about Trump over other Republicans is that he is not a social conservative. He also brings a great deal of instability though, which offsets some of those positives. He clearly knows nothing about any issues, which I think is the reason why he changes his mind every time he talks to a different group. At the meeting with lawmakers on gun control, he clearly thought that AR-15s were only sold on the black market, and not in stores. It cracked me up when he said "nobody knew healthcare was this complicated!" when the Republicans were trying to repeal Obamacare. In fact, Mr. President, anyone who has dedicated any amount of thought and research to the issue knew exactly how complicated it was, and that there was no simple solution. The worst part is that he claims to be more knowledgeable than experts on topics. He truly is the Dunning-Kruger president.

I am by no means a Trump fan.

With that said, given the choice of 'Ryan, McConnell, Walker, Bush, ect.' AKA chamber of commerce Republicans, or Trump, I prefer Trump.

Am I wrong in that?

If I have come to the wrong conclusion, perhaps some enlightened WR poster could convince me otherwise.

Discuss.....

Trump is worst. I knew he would be embarrssing, reactionary and poison. But I really believed he was non hawkish. He is itching for Iran war. Trumps biggest problem is he lacks any class. He will bring you to the gutter with him. I really hate how he cant let minor things like a pundit dissing him go by without answering

The one thing about Trump is that he is not ideology driven. He's not bought and sold like the rest of them. He is easy to manipulate though so his decisions do very often align with the GOP. It's a tough one.

Trump is the worst president, but due to his incompetence, ineffectiveness and the fact that other world leaders don't take him that serious his presidency isn't the worst yet. That would still be Bush jr when looking at the past few.

At least he hasn't plunged the US into war.

Trump is worst. I knew he would be embarrssing, reactionary and poison. But I really believed he was non hawkish. He is itching for Iran war. Trumps biggest problem is he lacks any class. He will bring you to the gutter with him. I really hate how he cant let minor things like a pundit dissing him go by without answering

Trump does the bidding of the GOP establishment anyway.
If you would have had a Rubio or Cruz. They would do the same things just with less incompetence and less disgrace for the US.

Good Grief, Ryan vs Trump

Is it possible to loathe two individuals more than these two guys. Well yes, Sean hannity and Ted Cruz still exist.

Reading liberal echo chambers like this is like stepping into an alternate reality. The country is doing great and Trump has turned out to be better than anyone else who was running in 2016. He got 60% of his agenda done in the first year.

Reading liberal echo chambers like this is like stepping into an alternate reality. The country is doing great and Trump has turned out to be better than anyone else who was running in 2016. He got 60% of his agenda done in the first year.

It's always good to back up key counters to a negative image, I'm just having a hard time seeing the silver lining in what's been coming out of his desk

It's always good to back up key counters to a negative image, I'm just having a hard time seeing the silver lining in what's been coming out of his desk

Well thats probably due to your political ideology and policy preferences, which is fine. But if you're being honest you'd admit that he has largely pursued and/or delivered on the things he said he would do. And going simply by that metric he is the greatest president in the modern era, at least.

I am by no means a Trump fan.

With that said, given the choice of 'Ryan, McConnell, Walker, Bush, ect.' AKA chamber of commerce Republicans, or Trump, I prefer Trump.

Am I wrong in that?

If I have come to the wrong conclusion, perhaps some enlightened WR poster could convince me otherwise.

Discuss.....
Does it matter if you're right or wrong when the choices aren't available in reality?

Can you please elaborate that further?

He has implemented 64% of the Heritage Foundation's agenda recommendations in his first year, faster than Reagan. So for conservatives Trump is delivering in a big way.

He's also delivering for independents on immigration, trade, and staying out of interventionist wars. He's tried to deliver for liberals on DACA and gun control but doesn't have good faith people to work with.

He has implemented 64% of the Heritage Foundation's agenda recommendations in his first year, faster than Reagan. So for conservatives Trump is delivering in a big way.

He's also delivering for independents on immigration, trade, and staying out of interventionist wars. He's tried to deliver for liberals on DACA and gun control but doesn't have good faith people to work with.
I'd like to see the 334 policy recommendations, in general I couldn't really get much out of all the sources that showed up when I googled it. Some articles were cringeworthy to be honest. Not saying that it is not true btw, just kind of weird since the Heritage Foundation is never discussed on here and I don't know much about it.

From my point of view, regarding his promises:

Healthcare - obviously failed
"Drain the swamp" - don't really need to comment, it is bigger, deeper and worse
Immigration - US already has pretty strong rules, guess he did the "Muslim ban" and I assume some stuff against illegal Mexicans too
Wall - apparently they are building a tiny one, Mexico hasn't paid for it yet, though ;) Not sure if that is what his voters expected
"Hiring the best people" - No comment needed
China - he liked to talk about China a lot, has he done anything yet regarding that?
Trade - it is the big topic right now so he will probably "deliver" on that, whether it makes sense or not isn't the point of discussion
ISIS/Syria - ISIS is pretty much done if I'm not mistaken, Syria is still a mess, but I won't blame Trump for that (nearly impossible to solve the problems there)
Tax cut - obviously delivered on that

All in all I'd say that he delivered on a decent amount of things already, but especially the big talking points during the election weren't handled all that well, if at all.

been an american 45 years~ trump is the shit~ and i was scared of him coming in~ dude is delivering imo

I'd like to see the 334 policy recommendations, in general I couldn't really get much out of all the sources that showed up when I googled it. Some articles were cringeworthy to be honest. Not saying that it is not true btw, just kind of weird since the Heritage Foundation is never discussed on here and I don't know much about it.

From my point of view, regarding his promises:

Healthcare - obviously failed

He wasnt able to implement a new healthcare plan but he very clearly and publicly tried to get one done. He was able to defang Obamacare however which is kind of a big deal.

I think we can count this as a promise pursued, fought for, and half fulfilled.

"Drain the swamp" - don't really need to comment, it is bigger, deeper and worse

I disagree. The swamp has been exposed like never before under the Trump administration. The intelligence communities, the media, the different committees and organizations, party leadership, and prominent politicians from both sides have all been exposed over the past couple of years. Trump has been pushing the AG to go after many of these things where has previous presidents would keep quiet and not rock the boat.

Immigration - US already has pretty strong rules, guess he did the "Muslim ban" and I assume some stuff against illegal Mexicans too

I don't think you're being very fair or honest here. He's implemented a travel ban, increased ICE funding and resources, he's going after sanctuary cities, and attempted to strike a deal, a very generous one, on DACA and resolve that issue. He's also moving forward with the wall.

Why would his supporters be anything but happy with such progress?

Wall - apparently they are building a tiny one, Mexico hasn't paid for it yet, though ;) Not sure if that is what his voters expected

Trump just made headlines for hanging up on the Mexican President over the issue of the wall. So at the very least he is once again out there fighting and pushing for the things he said he would do.

China - he liked to talk about China a lot, has he done anything yet regarding that?

Steel tariffs?

Trade - it is the big topic right now so he will probably "deliver" on that, whether it makes sense or not isn't the point of discussion
ISIS/Syria - ISIS is pretty much done if I'm not mistaken, Syria is still a mess, but I won't blame Trump for that (nearly impossible to solve the problems there)
Tax cut - obviously delivered on that

Delivering on trade, tax cuts, and destroying Isis within one year are pretty big agenda wins/promises wouldn't you say?

All in all I'd say that he delivered on a decent amount of things already, but especially the big talking points during the election weren't handled all that well, if at all.

He's also delivered on regulations, domestic drilling/energy, repealing tpp, the SCOTUS, Jerusalem embassy, ect.

He hasn't delivered on everything and likely won't be able to. But when I compare him to the last several presidents we've had I haven't seen anyone implement and pursue the agenda they ran on as aggressively as Trump.

The low points so far are the Syria bombing, his push for gun control measures, the revolving door of personnel, Jared/Ivanka, and several other key mis-hires.

He wasnt able to implement a new healthcare plan but he very clearly and publicly tried to get one done. He was able to defang Obamacare however which is kind of a big deal.

I think we can count this as a promise pursued, fought for, and half fulfilled.

I disagree. The swamp has been exposed like never before under the Trump administration. The intelligence communities, the media, the different committees and organizations, party leadership, and prominent politicians from both sides have all been exposed over the past couple of years. Trump has been pushing the AG to go after many of these things where has previous presidents would keep quiet and not rock the boat.

I don't think you're being very fair or honest here. He's implemented a travel ban, increased ICE funding and resources, he's going after sanctuary cities, and attempted to strike a deal, a very generous one, on DACA and resolve that issue. He's also moving forward with the wall.

Why would his supporters be anything but happy with such progress?

Trump just made headlines for hanging up on the Mexican President over the issue of the wall. So at the very least he is once again out there fighting and pushing for the things he said he would do.

Steel tariffs?

Delivering on trade, tax cuts, and destroying Isis within one year are pretty big agenda wins/promises wouldn't you say?

He's also delivered on regulations, domestic drilling/energy, repealing tpp, the SCOTUS, Jerusalem embassy, ect.

He hasn't delivered on everything and likely won't be able to. But when I compare him to the last several presidents we've had I haven't seen anyone implement and pursue the agenda they ran on as aggressively as Trump.

The low points so far are the Syria bombing, his push for gun control measures, the revolving door of personnel, Jared/Ivanka, and several other key mis-hires.
Disagree on healthcare and the swamp, though I do know that he tried to implement a new healthcare plan and it was very close, too. But this is one of, if not THE, biggest promise that he made and calling the fail on that "half-fulfilled" isn't really true. He might go for it again with a better concept, who knows.
Half-fulfilled is what I would call the wall/Mexico stuff for example.

As for immigration/ISIS/trade I think you misunderstood, I counted these things as "delivered" and to be fair, I'm not from the US so I didn't know all the things you mentioned that he did regarding "immigration", that wasn't me being dishonest. ;) China on the other hand is kind of complicated, from what I have read the tariffs won't hurt them all that much, if at all. Even if they hurt them a little bit, it is just a tiny, tiny step.

Thanks for the long post, I think that is the first time a conservative here has really elaborated on why he thinks Trump did well so far, what the actual policies were and in general it was a good read. I was always curious about some of these things, gave a good look inside of the mind of a conservative/Trump supporter who still supports him on the basis of policies, not just like a member of a sect/cult lol.

We will probably disagree on many policies or things like climate change/guns especially, but also agree on some things (immigration especially). But that wasn't the topic here as we just talked about his promises and if he delivered, not the opinion on it. :)

We need a return to the good old strong GOP that actually gave a runny shit about fiscal responsibility. Trumpism is the worst of what Republicans can be. Insular, fearful, reactionary, manipulative, uncaring about the nation's less fortunate, and loudly ignorant.

We need a return to the good old strong GOP that actually gave a runny shit about fiscal responsibility. Trumpism is the worst of what Republicans can be. Insular, fearful, reactionary, manipulative, uncaring about the nation's less fortunate, and loudly ignorant.

So you'd like to go back to George W Bush, Dick Cheney, patriot acts, weapons of mass destruction, and great recessions(bipartisan failure)?

Back