I am a Security Dept. FTO for a high risk behavioral health unit. Ask me anything !

Has anyone walked out? Just said, "nope, enough of this shit."

For sure, most of our responses to units are because the patient is attempting to elope but they are unable to for legal and mental health reasons

Last edited:
What kind of H2H training do you receive?

We go through DAT training and NVci. I, personally, train in kickboxing and in control based wrestling outside of work. Many of our guys are military background.

Title says it all. Our team goes hands on with violent and aggressive patients more than police do, as has been well documented in our logs, and collaborated with the PDs we work with routinely. I have 10 years of experience in the field, I am the senior lead for my team, as well as FTO (field training officer) in which I train and certify the new guys/gals for duty.

The hospital I works in handles over 600 patients and is one of the best in the state.
Do you even lift bro?
Serious question though; how is the mental health care for them in there? Are they actually provided medications (that we all pay for), or are they just locked in a cage and forgotten?

Title says it all. Our team goes hands on with violent and aggressive patients more than police do, as has been well documented in our logs, and collaborated with the PDs we work with routinely. I have 10 years of experience in the field, I am the senior lead for my team, as well as FTO (field training officer) in which I train and certify the new guys/gals for duty.

The hospital I works in handles over 600 patients and is one of the best in the state.

I was working on the next's months scheduling when there was an assist request near the elevator lobby on the 5th floor. We had an officer close by who was there within a minute. The next closest officer was about 5 minutes away dealing with other things. One minute later, the open mic button was pushed and we heard screams for help from my officer and a lot of swearing and yelling. I left the office and ran towards the unit/elevator lobby. Upon arrival, I saw my officer and the patient covered in blood, rolling on the floor. I had my gloves on jumped in and pinned the guys other hand and shoulder down while the first officer did the same. The patient was strong as an ox and I remember my officer during the stabilization period yell,

"The fucker has AIDS. The fucker has AIDS. !"

I can't tell you the fear and panic that went through me at that exact moment. Thankfully, I had no open cuts, but my officer was not so lucky. He had cuts and bite marks all over him. I then proceeded to put in a rear naked chock on the guy because of the extreme safety hazard. He almost bit me, but didn't. I didn't choke him out, just held on until the fight in him left.

My officer maintained position until other security and staff responded. He was put into 4 pt leather restraints and wheeled into seclusion. My first officer sat down and began bawling - he was covered in blood, just covered in it - with cuts everywhere.

I confirmed with staff who said the patient was indeed HIV positive. The officer was immediately rushed to the ER where he went through post-infection procedures. He didn't find out until 3 months later if he was in the clear due to the disease's open window time period. Thankfully, the patient had been taking his meds properly and it was determined that infection was not a possibility.

Holy shit.

Just wondering, if (knock on wood) he had been infected, what kind of compensation would he get? I mean, he wouldnt be able to work anymore, right?

And for question number 2, what would be one of the "crazier" type of people you've heard of that don't get locked up? My sister in law works in the mental health field and it's kind of fascinating just how varied mental illnesses are and just how "crazy" (for lack of a better term) you can be and still be relatively "normal" person. She talked about a guy who truly believed he had another person living underneath his skin with him. But he was married, a father, ran his own business, etc. Since he wasnt violent or a danger to himself or anyone else, there was not a lot they cold do about him just believing he shares his skin with another person. For all other intents and purposes, he was a completely normal, rational guy.

What's your daily carry? Could you take Connor with your training and experience with crazies? How did you get started off in this career?

I was working on the next's months scheduling when there was an assist request near the elevator lobby on the 5th floor. We had an officer close by who was there within a minute. The next closest officer was about 5 minutes away dealing with other things. One minute later, the open mic button was pushed and we heard screams for help from my officer and a lot of swearing and yelling. I left the office and ran towards the unit/elevator lobby. Upon arrival, I saw my officer and the patient covered in blood, rolling on the floor. I had my gloves on jumped in and pinned the guys other hand and shoulder down while the first officer did the same. The patient was strong as an ox and I remember my officer during the stabilization period yell,

"The fucker has AIDS. The fucker has AIDS. !"

I can't tell you the fear and panic that went through me at that exact moment. Thankfully, I had no open cuts, but my officer was not so lucky. He had cuts and bite marks all over him. I then proceeded to put in a rear naked chock on the guy because of the extreme safety hazard. He almost bit me, but didn't. I didn't choke him out, just held on until the fight in him left.

My officer maintained position until other security and staff responded. He was put into 4 pt leather restraints and wheeled into seclusion. My first officer sat down and began bawling - he was covered in blood, just covered in it - with cuts everywhere.

I confirmed with staff who said the patient was indeed HIV positive. The officer was immediately rushed to the ER where he went through post-infection procedures. He didn't find out until 3 months later if he was in the clear due to the disease's open window time period. Thankfully, the patient had been taking his meds properly and it was determined that infection was not a possibility.
Holy shit.

how authentic a portrayal is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest with Jack Nicholson?
I'm figuring it's pretty much spot on.
so, are you the black guy in that movie, the one with the sap who hits Jack?

We go through DAT training and NVci. I, personally, train in kickboxing and in control based wrestling outside of work. Many of our guys are military background.

What is DAT and NVci? Where do you do control based wrestling?

I hope the pay and benefits are good because it sounds like a crappy job.

Do you have a pension?

Do you even lift bro?
Serious question though; how is the mental health care for them in there? Are they actually provided medications (that we all pay for), or are they just locked in a cage and forgotten?

Care is good - to the point their units feel like hospitals with a shared entertainment lounge. But it doesn't always help as some people just are beyond verbal coaching and directing. They will not cooperate and lash out.

Holy shit.

Just wondering, if (knock on wood) he had been infected, what kind of compensation would he get? I mean, he wouldnt be able to work anymore, right?

And for question number 2, what would be one of the "crazier" type of people you've heard of that don't get locked up? My sister in law works in the mental health field and it's kind of fascinating just how varied mental illnesses are and just how "crazy" (for lack of a better term) you can be and still be relatively "normal" person. She talked about a guy who truly believed he had another person living underneath his skin with him. But he was married, a father, ran his own business, etc. Since he wasnt violent or a danger to himself or anyone else, there was not a lot they cold do about him just believing he shares his skin with another person. For all other intents and purposes, he was a completely normal, rational guy.

If he had been infected, given he was on the clock, I believe the majority of his lifetime medication would have been taken care of.

We have had police bring in a man with a violent history and mental illness that was captured in the park gnawing on a dead bird and looking to fight random people. He was seen in our behavioral ER annex and was released a few hours later when it was determined he wasn't a threat any longer.

Not dominant enough to become a cop?

typical insecurity talking on your part. My guys deal with more blood and violence than most of our local police do.

you come off beta as hell with a comment like this, snowflake.

What's your daily carry? Could you take Connor with your training and experience with crazies? How did you get started off in this career?

We carry only pepper spray, but I'm working on getting us approved for cuffs and tazers. Each unit has three levels of restraints.

Who was the strongest patient you have ever dealt with? Are they super strong?

The strongest patient was a PCP induced patient brought in by EMT with five police officers in the ambulance. It took damn near ten of us to hold him down enough for intubation. Even then, he was literally fighting off two officers per limb. It was scary.

What kind of H2H training do you receive?

I do not like our hand to hand training - it is based on too much assumption of action on the other party. I tell my guys to train in Muay Thai or kickboxing if they can afford it.

I started off when I was working for target during college and transferred to another one where the only opening was security. I found I enjoyed having no cubical and no direct boss. Eventually, I transferred to a bigger city and found a job as an objective security officer with my current company. Made my way to senior, then was selected for FTO school. Now I run my shift and train new hires.

Back