I am a Security Dept. FTO for a high risk behavioral health unit. Ask me anything !

Defanged

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Title says it all. Our team goes hands on with violent and aggressive patients more than police do, as has been well documented in our logs, and collaborated with the PDs we work with routinely. I have 10 years of experience in the field, I am the senior lead for my team, as well as FTO (field training officer) in which I train and certify the new guys/gals for duty.

The hospital I works in handles over 600 patients and is one of the best in the state.

You ever get Multiple Miggs'd?

Title says it all. Our team goes hands on with violent and aggressive patients more than police do, as has been well documented in our logs, and collaborated with the PDs we work with routinely. I have 10 years of experience in the field, I am the senior lead for my team, as well as FTO (field training officer) in which I train and certify the new guys/gals for duty.

The hospital I works in handles over 600 patients and is one of the best in the state.

Yes. We have officers who have semen, blood, urine, you name it thrown at them. Unlike in the movie, there are no cells for the patients, just secured doors to make them feel less paranoid. We have to enter those rooms at times and that's when it gets bad.

Soooo... like a corrections officer but for crazies?

Correct - it is not for those convicted, but those with mental health issues. We also have a high risk Emergency Room behavioral annex where we seclude patients that are brought in for homicidal and suicidal ideations.

Have you ever had sex with a patient, or walked in on another member of staff having sex with a patient?

Have you ever had sex with a patient, or walked in on another member of staff having sex with a patient?

No, we have had visitors of patients engage in sexual activity with patients. The risk of staff engaging with patients is very low because these are not pretty boy thugs in prison. They are mentally unstable, extremely disturbed sociopaths at times, so staff can't even have their last names on badges. We have mutilators, cutters, paranoid skits, and the likes.

We have had staff hook up, though, but not on grounds. That would be immediate firing.

What protective and restraint gear do you guys carry?

Tell us about one of your most, bizarre interesting days there.

I was working on the next's months scheduling when there was an assist request near the elevator lobby on the 5th floor. We had an officer close by who was there within a minute. The next closest officer was about 5 minutes away dealing with other things. One minute later, the open mic button was pushed and we heard screams for help from my officer and a lot of swearing and yelling. I left the office and ran towards the unit/elevator lobby. Upon arrival, I saw my officer and the patient covered in blood, rolling on the floor. I had my gloves on jumped in and pinned the guys other hand and shoulder down while the first officer did the same. The patient was strong as an ox and I remember my officer during the stabilization period yell,

"The fucker has AIDS. The fucker has AIDS. !"

I can't tell you the fear and panic that went through me at that exact moment. Thankfully, I had no open cuts, but my officer was not so lucky. He had cuts and bite marks all over him. I then proceeded to put in a rear naked chock on the guy because of the extreme safety hazard. He almost bit me, but didn't. I didn't choke him out, just held on until the fight in him left.

My officer maintained position until other security and staff responded. He was put into 4 pt leather restraints and wheeled into seclusion. My first officer sat down and began bawling - he was covered in blood, just covered in it - with cuts everywhere.

I confirmed with staff who said the patient was indeed HIV positive. The officer was immediately rushed to the ER where he went through post-infection procedures. He didn't find out until 3 months later if he was in the clear due to the disease's open window time period. Thankfully, the patient had been taking his meds properly and it was determined that infection was not a possibility.

What protective and restraint gear do you guys carry?

Each unit has three levels of restraints; soft, neoprene, and leather. Officers carry only pepper spray, but I am fighting hard to get us handcuffs and even tasers, but since we are funded so heavily by medicare/caid, there are limits.

I was working on the next's months scheduling when there was an assist request near the elevator lobby on the 5th floor. We had an officer close by who was there within a minute. The next closest officer was about 5 minutes away dealing with other things. One minute later, the open mic button was pushed and we heard screams for help from my officer and a lot of swearing and yelling. I left the office and ran towards the unit/elevator lobby. Upon arrival, I saw my officer and the patient covered in blood, rolling on the floor. I had my gloves on jumped in and pinned the guys other hand and shoulder down while the first officer did the same. The patient was strong as an ox and I remember my officer during the stabilization period yell,

"The fucker has AIDS. The fucker has AIDS. !"

I can't tell you the fear and panic that went through me at that exact moment. Thankfully, I had no open cuts, but my officer was not so lucky. He had cuts and bite marks all over him. I then proceeded to put in a rear naked chock on the guy because of the extreme safety hazard. He almost bit me, but didn't. I didn't choke him out, just held on until the fight in him left.

My officer maintained position until other security and staff responded. He was put into 4 pt leather restraints and wheeled into seclusion. My first officer sat down and began bawling - he was covered in blood, just covered in it - with cuts everywhere.

I confirmed with staff who said the patient was indeed HIV positive. The officer was immediately rushed to the ER where he went through post-infection procedures. He didn't find out until 3 months later if he was in the clear due to the disease's open window time period. Thankfully, the patient had been taking his meds properly and it was determined that infection was not a possibility.

Britney-Haynes-Cringe-Big-Brother.gif

Yikes. No thanks Jeff.

Are you essentially a prison guard then? This is essentially prison hospital right?

Has anyone walked out? Just said, "nope, enough of this shit."

I'm crazy, they're crazy, hook me up with a crazy bitch thx

Each unit has three levels of restraints; soft, neoprene, and leather. Officers carry only pepper spray, but I am fighting hard to get us handcuffs and even tasers, but since we are funded so heavily by medicare/caid, there are limits.

I would imagine pepper spray would be of very limited use against some of these patients. I've heard cops say that mentally disturbed perps can walk through CS spray and even tasers sometimes. Their heads are so fucked up they don't register pain and shock like normal people.

No, we have had visitors of patients engage in sexual activity with patients. The risk of staff engaging with patients is very low because these are not pretty boy thugs in prison. They are mentally unstable, extremely disturbed sociopaths at times, so staff can't even have their last names on badges. We have mutilators, cutters, paranoid skits, and the likes.

We have had staff hook up, though, but not on grounds. That would be immediate firing.

Who was the strongest patient you have ever dealt with? Are they super strong?

Back