I agree with Nate Diaz holding out for Conor Mcgregor.

The 2nd fight was not close. Quit deluding yourself.

Ya, a majority decision usually means a dominant win for someone....

He barely won. Almost got finished. Kudos for winning but, it wasn't an impressive one.

A lot of people are swirling around the idea of Nate vs Ferguson for a #1 contender shot at Mcgregor. But if you really look at this Nate Diaz has the most UFC fights in history AND his win over Conor was dominant while Conors win over him was Razor close.

Frankly, I think anything short of a Mayweather bout materializing Mcgregor probably owes Nate a rubber match for multiple reasons but at the end of the day I think its best for the UFC (unless they think Conor will get beat).

This is a HUGE money fight.. possibly the biggest non mayweather bout possible for Conor and also Nate has put his time in and risking a loss versus Ferguson that would kill that money not just for Mcgregor/UFC but for Nate Diaz who definitely needs to be thinking retirement (lets face it the Diaz brothers cant do much but fight) is WAY to risky.

I dont feel Tony Ferguson is owed anything here more than Nate should be. Nate has the most UFC fights and a rubber match with Conor is waiting after one of the best UFC fights ever in my opinion which was their 2nd fight at UFC 202.

Nate Diaz DONT risk losing millions of dollars. Sit out as long as it takes. You deserve this shot and I think we the fans should be clamoring to make it happen. Diaz versus Mcgregor 3 in my opinion will conclude one of the greatest if not the greatest trilogy ever. To risk losing the hype with a loss versus Ferguson to me is just way too risky. I fully support Nate Diaz on sitting out and waiting on Mcgregor and I think all this talk about rankings is more or less old boxing mindset. Bottom line Mcgregor and Diaz fought at 170 yes but logically this is pressing unfinished business and the biggest money making fight there is in MMA. There is plenty of merit to set this up and who cares if Nates win over Mcgregor was at 170? End the trilogy at 155 for the title. Epic.

Opinions?

i agree with you about nate waiting out for conor. but i don't think the ufc wants a third fight with them, because they fear conor losing and his stock dropping as a result. let's be honest: conor was lucky to escape that second fight with a win. he dug deep and found a second wind to finish the fight, but he was close to getting stopped again. nate gains nothing, aside from whatever little the ufc would pay him, to fight ferguson. it makes no sense if you're in nate's camp.

I agree, especially when Connor has everyone else take out his tough fights then claims they need to win to fight him.

tony is begging nate for a fight - and tony is the 'champ' - that says it all

OP, I agree with you. These guys have a finite amount of time and chin to make the most money possible. They should do whatever they think will maximize their earnings, and for Nate that's the Conor rubber match.

That said, please tell me you aren't one of the legion of chestbeards whining about McGregor trying to fight Floyd. That would be some serious irony, if so.

Waiting 2 or 3 years is not good but I think it shouldnt take that long.

I know that fighting mayweather may take a lot of time to get done but after that I think first order of business should be Nate Diaz. People have claimed hes lost 3 out of 5 at lightweight and TRUE. But he also dominated the champion and finished him (recently at that) and then lost a razor close decision in the 2nd fight.

My point is this. The rubber match is looming and its obviously the biggest money fight the UFC can make. Tony Ferguson doesnt pull those number. Khabib definitely doesnt pull those numbers.

From a busineds perspective why ruin the best money making and historic rubber match fight to see Tony Ferguson beat Nate or Khabib beat Conor? The time to strike is when the iron is hot. Once they do this fight THEN I say Khabib and Ferguson by all means one should get the next shot.

My opinion: Conor versus Mayweather (if that happens) then Conor versus Diaz and Tony Ferguson versus Khabib for the #1 contender. Tough crap to Ferguson and Nurgogomedov but they dont have nearly the interest that Diaz those AND they will eventually get that shot.
All of that assumes that Conor is willing to rematch a guy who kicked his ass. I'm guessing no. And if he ends up with B-side money in his pocket, there is almost no chance.

These fights don't get made because of what Nate wants, but because of who Conor chooses. So you have to chase him to have a better chance of Conor accepting. If he loses to Tony, yes, it'll at least push the trilogy back, but if he wins he's shown as the top contender along with their history. That makes a bigger fight, so Nate's chances go up. Who knows who the UFC & Conor will choose once this Floyd stuff is over and done with...which could take a while. Maybe he's right in not gambling vs Tony, but there's a payoff.

Ya, a majority decision usually means a dominant win for someone....

He barely won. Almost got finished. Kudos for winning but, it wasn't an impressive one.
You're delusional. Just because Conor was backing up at one point doesn't mean he was almost finished.

Well he may never get his rematch with Conor, but if he beats Ferguson for the interim belt, then he's guaranteed that rematch. He should take the fight.

You're delusional. Just because Conor was backing up at one point doesn't mean he was almost finished.

point still stands, a majority decision isn't awarded for fights in which 1 fighter is very dominant

The 2nd fight was not close. Quit deluding yourself.
What? It was a majority decision that Nate arguably won. Conor won the first round and got his ass beat the rest of the fight. All Conor had was a couple of knockdowns that wouldn't have happen if Nates leg wasn't hurt.

Nate is ducking Platinum Perry. I get it. I'd want to end my career with as much money and as little brain damage as possible myself.

Let's see Nate cut to FW.

wnfyyiakckla7hs0ptqb.jpg

Nate has lost 3 of his last 5 lw fights. If he gets a title shot, it's because there's no one left to fight for the belt. Khabib and Ferg would have to be injured. At this point giving Nate a fight is the same as giving Cowboy Cerrone a fight or Dos Anjos because they too have been getting beat up. He doesn't owe Nate shit as far as a rubber match. Conor gave him the opportunity of a lifetime by letting him fight as a replacement and making more money than he's ever made in his life...I don't think because Nate gave him a rematch, he owes Nate..because again..Nate made more money than he's ever made.
Wrong.

Back