Hypertrophy (gaining muscle) with Martial Arts training

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by VanteMMA, May 6, 2017.

1. VanteMMA Orange Belt

VanteMMA
    So I was wondering if anyone has had experience trying to gain muscle mass while continuing their martial arts training.

Besides needing a ton of calories to get the job done, I want help with how to deal with DOMs.

Focusing primarily on strength gains earlier, DOMs are less of an issue and I retain most of my mobility and "springyness" (for lack of a better word) for my BJJ and striking sessions.

When I am doing a more Hypertrophy style training though, I just feel useless in martial arts. My body just doesn't move right with all the soreness.

On top of that, putting on quality muscle mass takes time.

How do you deal with continuously being sore and having to learn and practise movements requiring dexterity and agility?

2. corpse Yellow Belt

corpse
    when you get used to the new stimuli, soreness will decrease. i never experienced doms as really painful. just push through it in budo style. think about kimura or oyama and then think about yourself ha ha

Chopper Kneed and VanteMMA like this.
  3. dsdoubled Green Belt

dsdoubled
    If soreness is that much of an issue you are probably overdoing the lifting by a good amount. The normal type of sore ness would actually be helped by things like hitting the pads and drilling, it shouldn't be so bad you are effected in those activities. Start off with one exercise per bodypart, 3 sets, 2-3 times a week. Do the 10-12 rep range basic muscle building rep range. We all have a finite recuperative ability so better to start small and see how you handle it.

VanteMMA likes this.
  4. NurseKnuckles My Mom's stronger than you belt

NurseKnuckles
    five

Phlog likes this.
  5. j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

j123
    It takes time to build. I've done a bulk routine that has somewhat a BB type approach (PPLx2) and I've had decent success with it supplementing it to my MT/MMA routine.

Like another poster said, its a new stimuli so you'll feel the DOMS, your body will eventually adjust. Also, if you're on a deficit it'll be tough to recover

lol, every thread

VanteMMA likes this.
  6. Chopper Kneed White Belt

Chopper Kneed
    Just adjust calories accordingly. The only time i struggled with training around doms, was after hitting legs hard. Hitting squats and deadlifts before my planned rest days helped.

Edit- "hypertrophy style" training probably isnt what you are after as a fighter either. You will get more benefit and less soreness from a more strength based routine. Mass will still come with the right diet.