Hurricane Florence: Reporter confronts people looting on live TV

Right, it is the low hanging fruit. Looting isn't subtle , but in the grand scheme of things its financial value is minor (if we are talking about individuals stealing stuff from a clothing, shoe , grocery store) compared to many white collar crimes. Looting is also - going by the media - very noticeable for featuring Black perps. Part of it is race, though it isn't the only reason. Why do grass-roots conservatives show animus towards welfare but not corporate welfare , the welfare/handouts that are enabled by wars etc..? Part of the reason conservatives tend to focus more on welfare is because they perceive it as being used mostly by Hispanics and Blacks.
I don't agree with that. I can speak only for myself though. By the numbers, I believe more white people receive welfare than any other race, though I understand that's only because of population numbers. There's a difference between spending bills and tax write-offs. I think the tax rate is too high as it is, so I don't have a big problem with tax write-offs because the things that are written off do have some benefit to others whereas individual welfare is a money hole that has created a permanent underclass and a culture of dependence and benefits nobody but the complete stranger who takes it. I think there's too many people for there not to be a lot of oversight and people taking advantage, as well as the administrative costs.

I've said plenty of times before, it's not really even the dollar amount that people care about, it's knowing that the people who legitimate need it are getting it and not a bunch of people scamming and bureaucrats taking a bite first. This is evidenced by the numbers of charity donations as opposed to people who just want other people to give up their money.

I see a lot of Trump supporters in this thread outraged at these negroes stealing petty items......for some strange reason I never saw any of them expressing outrage when Manafort was caught committing bank fraud and evading taxes. But I guess stealing 20$ worth of items is somehow worse than stealing millions from the government.
Is he not being prosecuted?

I see a lot of Trump supporters in this thread outraged at these negroes stealing petty items......for some strange reason I never saw any of them expressing outrage when Manafort was caught committing bank fraud and evading taxes. But I guess stealing 20$ worth of items is somehow worse than stealing millions from the government.
You can steal more money with a briefcase than with a gun. Why isn't there the level of focus and outrage directed towards scammers, white collar criminals and theft that is not out in the open like looting is. Looting is the low hang fruit , that everyone loves to grab. I have had shit stolen from me ( in the tens of thousands of $) , but it wasn't some Black guy mugging me or burglarizing me, it was property theft and larceny where the perp never engaged directly with me. My family has been scammed out of lots of money, by real estate agents, building contractors and business acquaintances.

Why does looting and petty crime get soo much attention and the other crimes not? Part of the reason is that petty crime can sometimes be violent but part of the reason is also that unorganized street crime is often associated with Blacks, so people will focus on that. If you are cunning and put some thought into ripping people off, than just grabbing stuff from a store, people are more apt to ignore you or just not focus on your crime.
They are stealing during a crisis. Cmon.
Other theft is also bad. This thread isn’t about that.

Was your President not calling him "a very good person" while he was?

A crisis somehow makes it a worse time to steal?
Yes. I would be more concerned about helping my community, not looking to score.

mehhhhhhhhh

if this had been a few days after the storm and people were desperate (they will be soon....wilmington is literally cut off with interstates flooded), maybe theyd get more of a pass.
It makes more sense when its more than a few days after though. Presumably they'd have some supplies, of which they could've run out of only to go out and find more.

I'm with @jamel on this, they're taking food stuffs which are important. If they were taking non-essentials that'd be a different story but I'm not going to rush to condemn people looting water or soda in the aftermath of a hurricane.

Yes. I would be more concerned about helping my community, not looking to score.
Really? You wouldn't be prioritizing the immediate needs of your family for food and water? Somehow, I doubt that.

hmmmm.... Seems like 2 completely unrelated topics to me.

hmmmm.... Seems like 2 completely unrelated topics to me.
Stealing is stealing but it's hilarious how when your President's political ally does it, it gets overlooked and you support your President when he calls a thief "a very good person"

Stealing is stealing but it's hilarious how when your President's political ally does it, it gets overlooked and you support your President when he calls a thief "a very good person"
He just needed to buy millions of dollars worth of school clothes, though.

6o1yn84vmjmz.jpg

fuck your looter outrage.

Legit lulz when reading this.

Black folks need to stop drinking such sugary drinks that are loaded with high fructose corn syrups. More water less soda and juice.

That’s all I have to add to this.

Fair point.
Look I dont know what to believe about that damn storm. Seems like aint nobody being genuine about it. Anderson cooper standing in ditches, local weathermen faking like they are about to be blown down the street... So i honestly dont know what to believe.

Welcome to the news: where hyperbole and ratings trump journalistic integrity.

Because like you just said, it's not out in the open. Nobody is favor of any kind of stealing, but skimming isn't nearly as blatant as mugging or looting.

Call me crazy but I’d rather lose $100.00 in undiscovered skimming than have someone stick a gun in my face for five bucks.

Last edited:
I think people steal from family dollar even w/o natural disasters

have you been in one of those?

Really? You wouldn't be prioritizing the immediate needs of your family for food and water? Somehow, I doubt that.

It was on the news for a week before telling ppl to prep and to leave so they should have prepared like pretty much everyone else on the eastern part of the Carolinas. It was some flooding in areas in Wilmington but it was not a war zone and plenty places are back open in less than 12 hrs to get essentials so it was no excuse to tear the doors off of a store and take whatever they could get their hands on.

It was pretty simple to see that non of their lives were in immediate danger and they were just looking for free shit

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I’d rather lose $100.00 undiscovered skimming than have someone stick a gun in my face for five bucks.
I have been mugged at gun point by 8 guys. They started by running from behind me throwing haymakers and didn't even pull a gun until I fought back and knocked 2 of them out. After that, the gun was just insurance while they kicked me in the head and emptied my pockets and stole my shoes and watch. Yeah, I would have preferred an overdraft fee.

I have been mugged at gun point by 8 guys. They started by running from behind me throwing haymakers and didn't even pull a gun until I fought back and knocked 2 of them out. After that, the gun was just insurance while they kicked me in the head and emptied my pockets and stole my shoes and watch. Yeah, I would have preferred an overdraft fee.

Damn. That sounds traumatizing as fuck.

Glad you’re still alive to tell the tale and hopefully the more wiser for your troubles in some way.

To the online rightwing presence, these looting vids are like chum thrown into the waters off Guadalupe Island.
I mean the storm was six or even seven minutes ago
They were desperate

Back