Huntington Beach OIS Update on dead suspect tied to murder of elderly male

It was clearly either a can of pepper spray or a flashlight that he took from his belt. I don't know how taking it can be construed as a contributing reason for killing him, but I don't know everything about the incident of course.

Looked like a small Maglite to me.

All this talk about cops shooting people.

How about we all try complying and not attacking cops, and see how that effects the number of police shootings?

Dumb mofos.

Some thoughts on my first view reaction.

This video is an tough example of a lot of things people who have never been in a serious confrontation just don't understand about situations like this where they feel so much power to second guess the situation. The cop did create space and still decided to shoot. I don't know what the guy pulled out of his belt but it must have been something concerning. If it was it makes complete sense that he shot him considering a couple things you actually get to SEE in the video. If it was an edged weapon, think about how you are going to stop the guy from charging into you with how many shots and how long it takes for him to go down... the situation wasn't safe for the cop even when he puts the initial distance between them. If he doesn't immediately have something to put between himself and the person he's still in danger. I also noticed that the guy is kind of heading toward the store front which also might have been concerning for the cop since there may still be people inside all things considered. If there are and he waits for this guy to get in front of the windows he's now chancing hitting bystanders.

There are so many factors in this situation and it's so easy to armchair quarterback. The cop to me at this point was legitimately probably fighting for his life in his own eyes with the way the guy was going at him from the ground and then he has a split second to decide what to do when someone who is clearly not going to surrender has already caused him to retreat. Something else that I think we don't ever think about is... how exhausted is the cop by this point? As people have pointed out there was clearly a conflict going on before this by all the crap on the ground already.

If he had mace or the flashlight it’s a good shoot. Mace can incapacitate the officer and the flashlight could be used as a weapon depending on size

sounds easy if the only tool you have is your firearm like back in the old days. Modern cops all carry firearm, a pocket knife or knives, baton, OC spray, and taser. all of those tools can be used against them.

even as a BJJ purple belt I wouldn't want to get tangle with anybody on the street
All the more reason to keep it in mind. The world isn't as simple as it used to be.

The cop knows what he has on his utility belt.

What I don't understand, is why cops are so reluctant to create some space between themselves and the suspect and analyze what is going on. Cops never seem to retreat from anything, they just pull their guns and shoot. Take a few steps back, create some space, and give yourself time to actually make a humane decision.

To me, it looks like the guy took the cop's extra clip. But let's say it's an unopened knife. The guy appeared to be in absolutely no hurry to open the knife, he seemed like he was high and moving in slow motion. He was brushing hair away from his face when the cop first shot him.

So what is stopping the police officer from holding the man at gunpoint, while he backs up about 20 feet while telling the guy to drop it? Instead, he just pulls his gun and shoots him 7 times?

I defend cops when they do things that make sense. When I see that video, I do not see a guy who needed to be shot. If more evidence surfaces that changes my interpretation of what happened, I'm happy to change my conclusion.

Holy shit this Peyton Manning level of arm chair QB

Was just going to post this.

Here's the stuff I said would change this. Imagine that...

This is a perfect example of something that looked horrible on first viewing and look like an unjustified shoot. Then when the full thing comes out totally changes

Was just going to post this.

Here's the stuff I said would change this. Imagine that...

This is a perfect example of something that looked horrible on first viewing and look like an unjustified shoot. Then when the full thing comes out totally changes

Rooster-crowing.jpg

:D

I'm pretty sure cops are armed with full metal jacket bullets. @Protectandserve would know the answer
No almost all agencies issue hollowpoints. We carry Speer Gold Dot 9mm rounds.

And if I had to hazard a guess that officer was using eithwr a Glock 17 or 22, so either a 9mm or 40cal.

No almost all agencies issue hollowpoints. We carry Speer Gold Dot 9mm rounds.
I didn't know that. I just assumed since the military uses FMJs, so do the police. I guess I'm just thinking of rifle ammunition. I know with rifle ammunition, FMJs don't do anything close to the amount of damage lead soft points do.

I didn't know that. I just assumed since the military uses FMJs, so do the police. I guess I'm just thinking of rifle ammunition. I know with rifle ammunition, FMJs don't do anything close to the amount of damage lead soft points do.
Our rifle rounds are jacketed soft points too.

Our rifle rounds are jacketed soft points too.
Holy shit. I've shot deer with both FMJs & soft points. The damage done by a soft point is way more deadly than a FMJ. Seems like the FMJs punch clean holes straight through & the soft points punch a hole through while destroying everything in its path.

Back