Huge reduction in meat eating needed to avoid climate breakdown

Some researcher estimated that the carbon footprint from coffe is equal to pork’s!

Somehow I doubt that many will push for coffee free conferences or coffee free work days.

Well Millennials and those younger seem to eat far less meat and be far more into alternate diets (vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, etc) than the prior generations. Meat to prior generations was the expensive delicacy. Now vegan food, seafood (sushi), etc is the expensive delicacy. Also the older generation as they age tend to eat less and less meat. I am a prime example of that but it is true across the pier group.

So this problem may be fixing itself.

I hear you but c'mon did you read my initial post?I thought it quite obviously was sarcasm unless people are just that stupid eh?

A wise man once said "we dont think it be like it is, but it do".

Let the poor people in Africa and other shitholes eat beans and "pulses?". They're the ones fucking the world up by breeding at unsustainable rates and then illegally infesting succesful nations

I'll stick with meat.
First world excess is a bigger problem than third world overpopulation.
gw-graphic-pie-chart-co2-emissions-by-country-2015.png

As the world emulates America, their consumption will mimmick ours as they get wealthier. America has less than a third of the population of either China or India. If either of them had even half our emission rates it would be catastrophic.

Well Millennials and those younger seem to eat far less meat and be far more into alternate diets (vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, etc) than the prior generations. Meat to prior generations was the expensive delicacy. Now vegan food, seafood (sushi), etc is the expensive delicacy. Also the older generation as they age tend to eat less and less meat. I am a prime example of that but it is true across the pier group.

So this problem may be fixing itself.
F1.large.jpg

America's meat consumption has leveled off but is still quite high. China's is going through the roof. The African trend is troubling too. India has the right idea.

F1.large.jpg

America's meat consumption has leveled off but is still quite high. China's is going through the roof. The African trend is troubling too. India has the right idea.
Ya kind of to be expected. Poorer countries where meat is a luxury will embrace it more as they elevate. Wealthier nations are weaning off.

I guess the hope is that as the poorer countries demand more. there will be many more less environmentally taxing alternatives. Farmed meat will not be a cost effective option soon. Cloned meat and faux meat are improving so much and will be a fraction of the cost so the audience willing to pay for slaughtered meat will die off. One day people eating meat will be completely baffled that people were willing to that 'gross slaughtered meat'.

Look at all the locations he filmed at. You know damn well he didn't walk/swim to these locations. He flew in a private airplane. He's a fucking hypocrite.

NEW YORK, USA
ALBERTA, CANADA
THE ARCTIC CIRCLE
FLORIDA, USA
BEIJING, CHINA
NEW DELHI, INDIA

SOUTH PACIFIC ISLANDS
BAHAMAS, CARIBBEAN
SUMATRA, INDONESIA
ARGENTINA, SOUTH AMERICA
NEVADA, UTAH
PARIS, FRANCE
WASHINGTON, DC
ROME, ITALY

And I bet DiCaprio flew all over the world promoting it.

Produced means funded, not directed or any of the fieldwork

Produced means funded, not directed or any of the fieldwork
He traveled to all those places to film. There's footage of him in the documentary in all those places.

He traveled to all those places to film. There's footage of him in the documentary in all those places.

Ah. I see what you're getting at now. I thought you were going in a different direction.

Same was said of gore and his energy consumption.

I'm less concerned about the messenger, more the message.

Ah. I see what you're getting at now. I thought you were going in a different direction.

Same was said of gore and his energy consumption

It's pretty ironic that he's flying all over telling people not to pollute, especially when he's doing it in private planes.

It's pretty ironic that he's flying all over telling people not to pollute, especially when he's doing it in private planes.
I'm sure his hypocracy isn't confined to airplanes. He probably owns many cars and large homes, probably could give more to charities and NGOs. I am less concerned about DiCaprio and more about the large cost and pollution from raising cattle and I am not even a vegetarian.

I watched that thinking - damn, meat is expensive to produce. But I love me some ribs

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...t-eating-essential-to-avoid-climate-breakdown

Basically, our current farming methods are unsustainable and humankind consumes too many animal products, especially with a growing population. Animal agriculture is too resource intensive and we're running out of time to fix these issues.

If we're going to quell the rising temperature of the planet and avert scarcity of resources and all the problems those bring (too many to list), we need to act now. The article details that while personal changes help, we're going to need systemic changes on an international scale to make a strong enough impact.

Snippets:

Huge reductions in meat-eating are essential to avoid dangerous climate change, according to the most comprehensive analysis yet of the food system’s impact on the environment. In western countries, beef consumption needs to fall by 90% and be replaced by five times more beans and pulses.

The research also finds that enormous changes to farming are needed to avoid destroying the planet’s ability to feed the 10 billion people expected to be on the planet in a few decades.

“Feeding a world population of 10 billion is possible, but only if we change the way we eat and the way we produce food,” said Prof Johan Rockström at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research in Germany, who was part of the research team.

The new research, published in the journal Nature, is the most thorough to date and combined data from every country to assess the impact of food production on the global environment. It then looked at what could be done to stop the looming food crisis.

“There is no magic bullet,” said Springmann. “But dietary and technological change [on farms] are the two essential things, and hopefully they can be complemented by reduction in food loss and waste.” About a third of food produced today never reaches the table.

The researchers found a global shift to a “flexitarian” diet was needed to keep climate change even under 2C, let alone 1.5C. This flexitarian diet means the average world citizen needs to eat 75% less beef, 90% less pork and half the number of eggs, while tripling consumption of beans and pulses and quadrupling nuts and seeds. This would halve emissions from livestock and better management of manure would enable further cuts.

In rich nations, the dietary changes required are ever more stark. UK and US citizens need to cut beef by 90% and milk by 60% while increasing beans and pulses between four and six times. However, the millions of people in poor nations who are undernourished need to eat a little more meat and dairy.

Reducing meat consumption might be achieved by a mix of education, taxes, subsidies for plant-based foods and changes to school and workplace menus, the scientists said.
Except they did a study trying to replace our protein needs by comparing the efficiency-- the carbon footprint-- of farming chickens vs. grasshoppers/crickets on a gram for gram basis, and the chickens were actually more efficient.

I used to believe this would be required. In truth, the only "meat" farming that is grossly inefficient is beef. Beef will have to go, but not other animal farming. It's crop to crop. Peaches and strawberries are water gluttons. So are nuts.

The #1 contributor to global warming is food waste. Doesn't matter kind of food it is. It isn't specific to meat.

If all vegans flew to mars we could cut co2 emissions

Ya kind of to be expected. Poorer countries where meat is a luxury will embrace it more as they elevate. Wealthier nations are weaning off.

I guess the hope is that as the poorer countries demand more. there will be many more less environmentally taxing alternatives. Farmed meat will not be a cost effective option soon. Cloned meat and faux meat are improving so much and will be a fraction of the cost so the audience willing to pay for slaughtered meat will die off. One day people eating meat will be completely baffled that people were willing to that 'gross slaughtered meat'.
I hVe yet to see a manufactured or processed food product that equals the quality, nutrients and bodily reactions of real food. Look at the prevalence of processed faux foods, with its “healthy alternatives” removed fat and replaced with HFCS, and the obesity epidemic, government intervention, FDA guidelines and lobbyists got us to our current waist size, and somehow we want to usher fake food into the market.

Bottom line, fake food is garbage now, and is gonna be garbage for quite a while, best to stick to what works IMHO, and refine the process to reduce waste/emissions and refine the quality.

Cannibalism. Given population growth it's a sustainable food source for meat. It's reasonably wild caught and depending on where you're sourcing comfortably organic and locally sourced.

We're at the top of the food chain and full of toxins and filth. Not a very good diet.

I hVe yet to see a manufactured or processed food product that equals the quality, nutrients and bodily reactions of real food. Look at the prevalence of processed faux foods, with its “healthy alternatives” removed fat and replaced with HFCS, and the obesity epidemic, government intervention, FDA guidelines and lobbyists got us to our current waist size, and somehow we want to usher fake food into the market.

Bottom line, fake food is garbage now, and is gonna be garbage for quite a while, best to stick to what works IMHO, and refine the process to reduce waste/emissions and refine the quality.
You have yet to see it as the quality is just not there yet. But the advances are coming fast and furious and will not stop.

It is almost certain as the price comes down and the quality up you will see people opt for this. Particularly the younger folk who are more conscious of the harm done to food animals.

At this stage, it’s a good thing. Allow a massive dying off of the human race would be exactly what this planet needs.

We're at the top of the food chain and full of toxins and filth. Not a very good diet.
That's why you probably gave to source outside 1st world sources. Or go after vegan hippies in Cali.

Back