Huge pressure on Chris. What's next for him if Kelvin KO him? Would you say he´s overrated or done?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
If Kelvin KO him, I believe a lot of people will say he´s always been overrated, only beat washed up brazilians or that he is done after USADA. Do you agree with that???

For me it´s highly unlikely that Chris becomes champ again at this point. So maybe he should fight top 15 guys like Leites or Alvey and find a way to improve his game before going for the top 10 or top 5 again.
upload_2017-6-27_23-24-53.jpeg

Imo Kelvin has a much better boxing with KO power and great wrestling to keep the fight on the feet and look for the KO. And if it happens that will be Weidman´s 4th brutal loss in a row.

giphy.gif

55ec47cb0723f435416fe91bb621ee21.gif

Weidman-Mousasi-Knee.gif

So what are your thoughts if Weidman gets KOed again?
giphy.gif

#StillMyBoy !!! But I would love to see him give 205 a shot. Thought he might when he was rolling thru the Brazilians.

It is strange how quickly Weidman fell from 'best MW ever, might even take LHW belt' to a gatekeeper at best.

Nope man. Chris Weidman is a beast and possibly the best MW ever! His ground game can stop just about anyone in the division, and possibly at 205 too!

...at least that's what the 2014 threads told me.

I honestly feel like the only thing holding The Chris back at this point is his potentially damaged confidence. I don't care about the skid he's on. You gotta look at performances. He didn't look awful vs. Luke, he made a few dumb decisions for sure, but it seemed out of the ordinary for him. I think he learned a lot from that.

He also didn't look bad at all vs. Romero right up until he got caught with that knee. It was competitive. Yoel is a MONSTER right now so it's not like it was a horrible loss outside of the WAY it ended. Then he was beating Mousasi up until that weird ending. I don't think it would be at all wrong to think maybe Chris could win that rematch.

BUT if he loses to Kelvin convincingly, I'll definitely feel like his confidence had just dwindled and/or maybe just maybe Weidman peaked early and got figured out. I don't believe that is the case though and I will be surprised if he loses this fight. I expect a Weidman UD or Guillotine win.

At this point his coaches and father are doing him harm by letting him fight so quickly after so many knockouts.

I don't think one can call Weidman overrated. Unless you were trying to convince me that he's the MW GOAT. Then I'd say you have overrated him.

He's an ex-champ that beat Silva handily. Pretty hard to equate that with being overrated. Though, it's pertinent that Silva was 38 at the time of their first fight, I believe.

I've seen ppl suggest USADA has played a role in the decline of Weidman. I have no idea if it's a factor, or not. But, the timeline of declination. Certainly coincides with USADA's involvement in the UFC.

As for what is next. I really don't know. I don't think about it. He's definitely on a serious skid, though. 3 losses in a row, where he was finished each time. If he gets KTFO...It might be time to call it a day. But, that's his choice.

I'd actually still have faith in him, let's not forget Kelvin is the fourth dangerous contender on a winning streak that Weidman has faced in a row. He's also been competitive in all three of his losses.

If he loses that's four in a row, very tough spot to be in. That being said he's 32 and still has a passion for the sport so maybe change things up, test the waters at 205.

Does his face still get super fat before he starts the process of getting down to 205?

I honestly feel like the only thing holding The Chris back at this point is his potentially damaged confidence. I don't care about the skid he's on. You gotta look at performances. He didn't look awful vs. Luke, he made a few dumb decisions for sure, but it seemed out of the ordinary for him. I think he learned a lot from that.

He also didn't look bad at all vs. Romero right up until he got caught with that knee. It was competitive. Yoel is a MONSTER right now so it's not like it was a horrible loss outside of the WAY it ended. Then he was beating Mousasi up until that weird ending. I don't think it would be at all wrong to think maybe Chris could win that rematch.

BUT if he loses to Kelvin convincingly, I'll definitely feel like his confidence had just dwindled and/or maybe just maybe Weidman peaked early and got figured out. I don't believe that is the case though and I will be surprised if he loses this fight. I expect a Weidman UD or Guillotine win.

Cardio
Always wins the first round.
After that he becomes slow, plodding, predictable, and can't get any more TD's.
I think that's his biggest problem.

I think Kelvin is a terrible matchup for him.

For some reason I thought Kelvin already beat Weidman. Man his stock has fallen hard.

USADA has definitely played a role. Watch UFC embedded before Silva vs Weidman I. Chris was on IVs after the official weigh-ins.

He doesn't have the skill to make up for the size disadvantage against top 205ers. But now, he is not able to recover after the massive weight-cuts at 185. So, he can't fight hard for more than 2 or 3 rounds, and when he gets tired, his fight IQ flies out the Octagon.

The IV ban has changed his career trajectory.

It's really hard to say if Chris is overrated, or even on a downward skill in terms of health and fighting/athletic abilities even with a loss vs Kelvin here.

Lets look at the performances, vs Rockhold, Chris was winning the first two rounds but began to fade going into the 3rd then threw a terrible excuse for a spinning hook kick and got punished badly, survived but was too damaged and gassed and Rockhold continued to pummel him for a TKO win in the 4th. Chris looked elite in this fight, he gassed a bit but put on a high pace, was eating big kicks and made a fatal error...these things happen.

Chris vs Romero, Chris comes out in round 1 and gives Yoel a lot of looks, is active, scores a couple short lived takedowns and wins round 1. Round 2 Romero got the back body lock and was able to man handle Chris a bit, Romero won round 2. Round 3, Chris has been shooting in or attempting to shoot in on Yoel's back leg all night, Yoel finally timed a counter knee and killed the Chris.

Chris vs Mousasi, round 1 Mousasi comes out pressuring Weidman and setting a high pace, Moose gets taken down several times but springs back up continuing to pressure. Chris wins round 1, round 2 Chris is fading a little and Mousasi is continuing to turn on the pressure (Mousasi said the gameplan was to break weidman with a pace he couldn't match) Mousasi begins to catch Weidman and the tables seem to be changing...then the weird knee incident happens and it's a controversial TKO win for Mousasi.

What can we say about Romero, Mousasi and Rockhold? All easily top 5 Middleweights, realistically Chris could lose to all 3 of these guys in his prime, Chris could lose to all 3 of these guys and still be the 5th or 6th best Middleweight in the world. But....Chris is coming off 3 consecutive TKO/KO loses, after the Romero fight he really needed to take a step back and build himself back up again not contiuing to take top 5 fights. Kelvin is, in my opinion as bad a matchup for Chris as any of these 3 men are, Kelvin's arguably a top 5, easily top 10 MW with tons of potential, super young, a surging star in the making...this fight makes no sense, if Weidman loses he was supposed to lose and if Weidman wins this fight still should have never happened for the sake of Weidman's career. I don't know who to blame, who's trying to ruin Weidman's career? His management? the UFC? Ray Longo and his coaches/gym? Is it Chris himself that's truly this dense? The guy needs to be fighting Sam Alvey or Elias Theodorou, not young monsters like Gastelum...get a couple wins and then start climbing your way back into the title picture...the reality we may be seeing the murder of Weidman's career.

Back