Huff Post: Educate Your Relatives This Holiday Season With A 'F*ck Your Racist Grandma' Sweatshirt

Tell them that, they're the ones "protecting white culture". If they won't differentiate, why should I? You really saying I should put more effort into figuring out their shit than they do? Come on son.

And cell phones and shit aren't culture, doggie. It's just not. If it is, then I need to know if the Moto Razr or Nokia 3310 is more cultural.

Well to be honest I see more people of color being protective of their culture while white people are more protective of race mixing.

Of course electronics and social media isn’t culture, but white peoples have plenty of famous musicians and famous composers. All I’m saying is that it’s moslty people of color bitching about those things. Don’t wear your hair braided unless you’re a person of color or if you’re white don’t wear hoop earring. That shit is beyond silly.

It's like daisy dukes and hoop earrings are worn by all the the black singers and dancers, but somehow that isn't appropriation, but let a white person braid their hair and all of a sudden they're stealing someone's culture.

Exactly. How petty can you get when you bitch about fucking ratings. Shit.

Well to be honest I see more people of color being protective of their culture while white people are more protective of race mixing.

Of course electronics and social media isn’t culture, but white peoples have plenty of famous musicians and famous composers. All I’m saying is that it’s moslty people of color bitching about those things. Don’t wear your hair braided unless you’re a person of color or if you’re white don’t wear hoop earring. That shit is beyond silly.

Well, when most of the time the context is negative, what do you expect? I don't think anyone is going after cultural appreciation. Nobody's saying you can't play a cover, just pay respect to the source material. Tropic Thunder is a great movie despite Robert Downey Jr. literally being in blackface. If you can figure out why that's a great example, then you know the difference.

Could she not just fuck off to Africa? That’s her culture right, why stay somewhere you hate?

Well, when most of the time the context is negative, what do you expect? I don't think anyone is going after cultural appreciation. Nobody's saying you can't play a cover, just pay respect to the source material. Tropic Thunder is a great movie despite Robert Downey Jr. literally being in blackface. If you can figure out why that's a great example, then you know the difference.

Actually all I see is people going after cultural appreciation this and cultural appreciation that, even made it to some award show if I’m not mistaken. I’m actually surprised RDJ didn’t get shit for black face which is clearly offensive. All that cultural appropriation shit is petty bullshit.

35b.jpg

Edgy.

Made me wonder if my grandparents were racist or not. I honestly don't know.
Mine never acted like they were, but given the eara they grew up in I'm sure they said things that in this day and age would certainly be racist. I don't think they ever would have mistreated anyone, they were pretty decent people for the most part.

I'm gonna hold a seance and ask them.

Hoop earrings go back to greeks, romans, and egyptians - no one knows who started wearing them.

btw- you ever see the brothers get defensive when a white guy dates a black girl? My son came home and said "her daddy don't like me" - I said well you're dating his daughter of course he don't like you - he said "she told me it's cause I'm white".

Hoop earrings go back to greeks, romans, and egyptians - no one knows who started wearing them.

btw- you ever see the brothers get defensive when a white guy dates a black girl?
My son came home and said "her daddy don't like me" - I said well you're dating his daughter of course he don't like you - he said "she told me it's cause I'm white".
Being "protective" of one's women pretty common in many cultures I think.

On a related note, I have a black friend whose dad did not approve of his white girlfriend. Not the same thing but in the same ballpark.

dang, I didn't know black grandmas are that racist

btw- you ever see the brothers get defensive when a white guy dates a black girl? My son came home and said "her daddy don't like me" - I said well you're dating his daughter of course he don't like you - he said "she told me it's cause I'm white".

Of course, it’s natural to be honest. Pretty sure every race does the same thing. Also goes for nationality and religion as we both know. You should read some of the comments when a black actor is with a white woman. They get so defensive that it’s insane. ‘Oh we’re not good enough’, ‘he couldn’t find a strong black woman’, ‘she’s only with him because he got money’, ‘if anything happens she will call the cops on him’ etc.

Goes both ways, but white men would bitch, never once saw white women bitch about it, I guess they’re not as insecure as black women.

Being "protective" of one's women pretty common in many cultures I think.

On a related note, I have a black friend whose dad did not approve of his white girlfriend. Not the same thing but in the same ballpark.

Yeah, I get it. My own mom used to ask us about it and I'd have to tell her it was none of her business.

Funny story - I used to work with an older black lady that told me she didn't believe in interracial marriages - "if you want to F that's ok, but I don't believe in marrying outside your race. That's just me."

This is the sort of nothingness I expect from HuffPo. But I'm not sure what there is to disagree with, here. If your grandma is racist, I don't have an issue with a shirt that tells her to fuck off. And as far as telling someone to fuck off goes, it's pretty passive.

1. In extreme cases, I'd agree with this. I have a cousin who was prone to making explicitly racist statements when we were teenagers. We argued and I cussed her out more than once for it. But one of the problems with the racism spectrum is that it is very broad. We've introduced concepts like microaggressions and latent racism, which are by definition less intensely racist than being a white supremacist. We use those sorts of concepts to induce confessions to being a racist, "We're all racist to some extent" etc. And then when treat anyone labeled racist as if they were high ranking members of the KKK.

tl/dr a microaggression deserves at most a microrebuke.

2. Telling someone to fuck off isn't passive. It is aggressive.

3. One insidious and common form of racism is the presumption that white people and especially older white people are racists. It is an obvious racial and ageist prejudice. I'm guessing the people who produce these shirts and many of their customers are more racist than your grandmother is.

1. In extreme cases, I'd agree with this. I have a cousin who was prone to making explicitly racist statements when we were teenagers. We argued and I cussed her out more than once for it. But one of the problems with the racism spectrum is that it is very broad. We've introduced concepts like microaggressions and latent racism, which are by definition less intensely racist than being a white supremacist. We use those sorts of concepts to induce confessions to being a racist, "We're all racist to some extent" etc. And then when treat anyone labeled racist as if they were high ranking members of the KKK.

tl/dr a microaggression deserves at most a microrebuke.

2. Telling someone to fuck off isn't passive. It is aggressive.

3. One insidious and common form of racism is the presumption that white people and especially older white people are racists. It is an obvious racial and ageist prejudice. I'm guessing the people who produce these shirts and many of their customers are more racist than your grandmother is.

1 is true but irrelevant imo. The shirt says nothing about degrees, and you’re constructing a strawman to make it seem like it does. I agree there’s some ambiguity around the word “racist”.

2. It’s passive aggressive. Wearing a shirt that says “Fuck Off If You’re Racist” isn’t the same as telling someone specifically “Fuck off, you racist.”

3. The shirt doesn’t say “your white grandmother is racist”. You’re inferring that.

1 is true but irrelevant imo. The shirt says nothing about degrees, and you’re constructing a strawman to make it seem like it does. I agree there’s some ambiguity around the word “racist”.

2. It’s passive aggressive. Wearing a shirt that says “Fuck Off If You’re Racist” isn’t the same as telling someone specifically “Fuck off, you racist.”

3. The shirt doesn’t say “your white grandmother is racist”. You’re inferring that.

1. It's precisely the failure of the shirt does not take into account the degrees of racism that is the problem. Noting the difference between cussing out grandma for being in the KKK and cussing out someone's grandmother because she still habitually refers to African-Americans as colored people is a very relevant critique of the shirt.

2. There's no if in that shirt. It directly describes your grandmother as a racist. It's not passive, and it isn't even passive aggressive. It's aggressive.

3. And I'm correct in that assumption.

Actually any family relation that showed up to a family gathering wearing something like that would be asked to leave, especially if I was the one hosting the gathering. If people can't lay aside their partisan bull* bickering for one family event then screw them and they can stay away. Not even family gets a pass on purposeful antagonism and disruption during social events. I don't care how "woke" they are.

im an indepedent but god damnit i hate liberals so much more then conservatives.

Maybe that boyfriends family she mentioned didn't have a problem with her being Black. Maybe she's just a rude angry bitch and they found that offputting.

Sounds like grandma might have been on to something

1. It's precisely the failure of the shirt does not take into account the degrees of racism that is the problem. Noting the difference between cussing out grandma for being in the KKK and cussing out someone's grandmother because she still habitually refers to African-Americans as colored people is a very relevant critique of the shirt.

2. There's no if in that shirt. It directly describes your grandmother as a racist. It's not passive, and it isn't even passive aggressive. It's aggressive.

3. And I'm correct in that assumption.

1. I disagree.

2. So it’s talking about Latina grandmothers as well, right?

3. Hey if you want to make assumptions and label them objectively correct have it. But that’s not an arguable point, so I’ll just say “nuh uh I’m right”.

Back