HS teacher under fire for calling military persons "dumbsh*ts," "lowest of our low" intellectually

Cracks me up how one single guy ignorantly stereotypes military as "the lowest of the low" now has vets and military supporters ignorantly stereotyping teachers with similar vitriol. It's as if the whole reason that the initial comments are offensive completely flew over the majority of heads...

Well, I'm older than 30, so I guess that's strike 2 with your assumptions.

Second, I did as you suggested, and searched Google for "California Public School decline" and the only thing that came up was a Salon.com article, which is hardly a justification for your hasty generalization fallacy.

Lastly, I'm not arguing just for the sake of arguing, I'm disputing your outrage at stereotyping, in which you employed a stereotype yourself. Using your logic, does a google search for "US military decline" somehow justify the teacher's comments?

The first step to fix the problem with our piss-poor educators' quality is to acknowledge reality for what it is, instead of arguing pointlessly about how the ocean being wet is just a "stereotype".

California earns a D+ in teacher training, below most states
Sharon Noguchi | Jan 4, 2018​

20100513__apiscores2.jpg

California's programs to train and support teachers received a D-plus from the non-profit National Council on Teacher Quality.

California ranks below 31 other public-school systems and earns just a D-plus in ensuring teacher quality, according to a new report aimed at spurring states to improve teacher preparation.

The Washington, D.C. based National Council on Teacher Quality’s 2017 State Teacher Policy Yearbook evaluated and graded state policies on teacher preparation, evaluation, compensation and other factors that contribute to successful teaching.

The council looked at nine policy areas in reviewing the 50 states and the District of Columbia. California earned an F in policies on hiring, teacher and principal evaluation and retention of effective teachers. The Golden State failed to meet the council’s goal of using student growth to measure teacher effectiveness, or of maintaining data needed for teacher evaluation. The state also did not meet similar goals for ensuring the effectiveness of school principals.

California has consistently earned a D-plus since the council’s first survey in 2009, although it dropped to a D in 2015.

Among the nation’s other most populous states, Texas earned a B-minus, New York a B, Pennsylvania a C and Illinois a C-plus.

The council also recommended that California require teachers be evaluated annually and observed multiple times, offer appropriate training and improvement plans for teachers, equitably distribute teacher talent among schools, effectively evaluate principals, and place ineffective ones on improvement plans.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12...t-california-earns-a-d-below-most-states/amp/

Last edited:
Like, I could understand having those personal beliefs.. but telling that to a kid, especially one who has family in the marines? That is just a dickhead move.

The first step to fix the problem with our piss-poor educators' quality is to acknowledge reality for what it is, instead of arguing pointlessly about how the ocean being wet is just a "stereotype".

California earns a D+ in teacher training, below most states
Sharon Noguchi | Jan 4, 2018​

20100513__apiscores2.jpg

California's programs to train and support teachers received a D-plus from the non-profit National Council on Teacher Quality.

California ranks below 31 other public-school systems and earns just a D-plus in ensuring teacher quality, according to a new report aimed at spurring states to improve teacher preparation.

The Washington, D.C. based National Council on Teacher Quality’s 2017 State Teacher Policy Yearbook evaluated and graded state policies on teacher preparation, evaluation, compensation and other factors that contribute to successful teaching.

The council looked at nine policy areas in reviewing the 50 states and the District of Columbia. California earned an F in policies on hiring, teacher and principal evaluation and retention of effective teachers. The Golden State failed to meet the council’s goal of using student growth to measure teacher effectiveness, or of maintaining data needed for teacher evaluation. The state also did not meet similar goals for ensuring the effectiveness of school principals.

California has consistently earned a D-plus since the council’s first survey in 2009, although it dropped to a D in 2015.

Among the nation’s other most populous states, Texas earned a B-minus, New York a B, Pennsylvania a C and Illinois a C-plus.

The council also recommended that California require teachers be evaluated annually and observed multiple times, offer appropriate training and improvement plans for teachers, equitably distribute teacher talent among schools, effectively evaluate principals, and place ineffective ones on improvement plans.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/12...t-california-earns-a-d-below-most-states/amp/

Well, those teachers must be doing something right:

"The gold and silver awards reflect which schools are most successfully preparing students for college, based on students participating in and achieving passing scores on Advanced Placement tests. For a school to be eligible for a gold or silver medal, its students must also do well on the appropriate statewide tests and graduate at high rates, as explained in the rankings methodology.

This state-by-state performance rating is solely based on which states have the largest proportion of their high schools earning gold and silver medals.

This year, 27.5 percent of Maryland's eligible schools earned gold and silver medals. Florida came in second with 24.4 percent and California came in third with 23.6 percent.

When it comes to the total number of gold medal schools, California had the most – 85 – followed by Texas with 65 and New York with 55.

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-high-schools/articles/how-states-compare

Like, I could understand having those personal beliefs.. but telling that to a kid, especially one who has family in the marines? That is just a dickhead move.
And wrong and stupid as well.

Freedom of speech bros. I think he is a jackass. You don't have to like everything that soldiers do, but should have respect for their service. I will tell you I wouldn't be upset if he lost his job, but support his right to say what he wants in a public setting not school.

Freedom of speech bros. I think he is a jackass. You don't have to like everything that soldiers do, but should have respect for their service. I will tell you I wouldn't be upset if he lost his job, but support his right to say what he wants in a public setting not school.

What do you mean "if"?

Yeah and I make shit for money hourly.

Of the about $1462 I make pre taxes per check I only take home $888. Part of it in the PERS (retirement) system I asked to take out 15% because the county matches it but money wise... had I entered the military fresh out of high school and done what someone like me would have done (Army trying to get into the 82nd or 101st at least or Navy doing the "fuck, let's see if I can qual and graduate BUD/S") I'd be making AT LEAST double the $32k I make a year I would imagine.

I also take out $75 a check to what's called a deferred compensation account basically like an IRA through Mass Mutual.

Washington's cost of living doesn't help either. I spend near $400 just on rent a month and the room I rent in this house I am in is ABOUT the size of a larger prison cell... if you count my closet... that doesn't have doors on it.

Edit

Last edited:
Back